Ready to buy first Surefire, need a little help

B

BobT

This is my first posting on CPF though I've been lurking here a bit for a while. Really appreciate all the info I've received so far.

Anyways, actually went to buy my first Surefire and drove about 40 miles round trip to a store that carries and thought stocks Surefires. After a long wait at Gander Mountain and talking to a couple people, I was told they were out of stock on all Surefires even though they had about 8 or so on display in a couple of counter display cases.

I was planning on buying an E2E and thought I'd buy it from a store so I could verify that it had the new clicky switch. Since I struck out on picking one up today, I've got a few questions before I attempt to order from an online dealer.

First of all, should most dealer stock nowadays have the new style switch? Next, I really want the long clip like the E2O but with the lamp of the E2E so I'm thinking just buy the E2E and try to get the clip direct from Surefire. Anyone with a better plan (E2O and get the lamp for the E2E since I might want the other lamp???)?

Finally, any good dealer recommendation that might be within a day or two via cheap shipping rates to Michigan? Would like to be able to have by Wednesday before a trip so hoping I can order tomorrow from someone that would stock the newer ones with the clicky switch and won't nail me too bad on the shipping.

Thanks for any and all help.

By the way, I ended up on Candlepower Forums via comments on Glocktalk.

Bob

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Bob, my recommendation would be to buy an L4 from Dan at Tactical Warehouse. I don't think the clickie E2e's are widely available yet. I predict that you will end up with an L4 eventually, so you might as well start there. This will save you some time and having to sell your E2e too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
A new E2e I bought a couple of days ago from Bulldog did not have the clickie, although he informed me that the E2O and the E1e already have them. Since you want the clickie, I would go the E2O route and just get the MN03. But if you get an E2e, you should be able to get a long clip free if you call Surefire warranty.

As for shipping, any dealer with USPS Priority or Fedex 2 day should be cheap and fast.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Welcome to CPF!
I would recommend that you get the E2O & buy the extra lamp.
Dan @ Tactical Warehouse ships fast, but I don't know if
they have clickies or not. Just call Dan & see what he says.
I first went to Dan because he was recommended on CPF & he
has treated me right. Good Luck.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ready to buy first Surefire, need a little hel

Bob,

And . . . the long clip that you want can be added to the L4.

BTW, welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome, Brightguy is overnight to Michigan with UPS ground and Greg will also take the time to verify that it has the clickie.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

since this is your first light you might as well get the L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Byron Walter

Enlightened

I switched my two E2's over to a KL1 and a KL4 respectively. I don't have clickies on either and, gasp!... I don't particularily care. The reason is that the standard switch is more of a "KISS" design. It's small, simple, and very reliable. Anyhow, BobT, I hope you like your future SF.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to the cpf, and if your not confused enough yet, let's try to make you a bit more confused. The standard pocket clip on the E2E is more than sufficient to keep your light clipped to your pocket. If you have some other reason for thinking that the pocket clip has to be longer for some other application , then that is a different matter. I tend to agree with the other posters saying that you might want to simply get the L4, it is an outstanding light, with no bulb to burn out and with a better all around beam,but with a bit less throw. But if your in a totally dark environment both would serve you equally well. Now, if that doesn't confuse you a bit more, someone else can give it a try.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

BobT
In a recent poll "What's your favortite Surefire?" the L4 &
the E2e were the most popular. The L4 got 42 votes & the
E2e got 27 votes. I'm sure you'll be very impressed with
either one. The E2e costs less & the L4 is regulated &
has more of a flood type beam, the E2e has more throw.
There are some other differences, but these are the ones
that stand out for me. Not long ago here on CPF the most
popular lights were the E2e, ARC LSH-P & ARC AAA. The L4
is impressive, but the E2e is as good as ever.
Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Penguin

Enlightened

BobT, whatever you decide on getting, Dan at Tatical Warehouse would be more than happy to help you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan is very helpful. I was on the phone with him today for the very first time and I ended up getting the L4 rather than wait for the L1 (which I was originally going to get).

yxa

Newly Enlightened

I bought an e2o from TTS last week and it had the z57 on it it only costed me 67.95.

B

BobT

Wow, thanks for all the helpful posts. Ended up ordering an E2E from Dan at Tactical Warehouse today. He opened up a new one he recently received from Surefire and it had the old style switch, not the clicky. Apparently they are not shipping the E2E's with new switch yet.

I'll see how I like the short clip first, just thought the long one would clip into my pants pocket a little better. Hate to loose the little sucker with how much they cost.

Regarding the L4, really didn't consider it before now. However, reading all the comments I think I've picked out my next SF. Initially, I think I'll be happier with the E2E for my first one (rather have the longer throw, whiter light).

Thanks again everyone for all the info.