WA 1160 Bulbs

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Greetings Everyone

I have searched CPF, but have not been able to find an online source for WA 1160 bulbs. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Battery Guy

Battery Guy

Enlightened
They have been discontinued by WA. Litho123 had some for awhile, but apparently has sold out. See his comments in post 1, updated in April. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=197754

Do you like the 1160 because of it's relatively low voltage, a four cell bulb (NiCd, or NiMh), that does well with 5 cells?

Bill

I have several Energizer Double Barrel 8AA Flashlights that I would like to mod. These apparently used a Welch Allyn #01288 rated at 5.5volts, .70 amps, 80 lumens. For those who don't remember these flashlights, they have a 4s2p configuration. Using lithium AA cells, I figured that I could step up to the WA 1160 bulb.

However, as I am very new to this hobby, I am happy to hear other alternative mods for this flashlight.

Cheers,
Battery Guy

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try "WA1160" without spaces. Did you try the google search above?
It should show all the thread wich have these words if you keep the "CPF only" option marked!

Cheers,
Dioni

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You are looking at about 6X the output (lumens) of the stock Double Barrel, with a lot of heat associated with plastic parts. Look for a lower current 6 volt bulb.

Bill

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch and plastic lamp holding assembly on the energizer DB6AA and DB8AA lights can't handle even 2 amps for any significant time. The reflector can't handle more than about 9 watts for any period of time.

Before I got rid of all my DB lights, I typically rewired them so that the two barrels on each light no longer ran parallel, but were changed to serial. I found that the best reliable combination for the DB8AA was 7 NimH in serial plus a dummy cell overdriving a WA 1315 bulb rated at 6.27 V, 1.42 amps. 8.9 Watts, 178 lumen and 125 hours. The voltage drop through the high resistance switch assembly is significant. Unfortunately, I destroyed a few switch assemblies while rewiring.

Alternatively, if you don't use the AA battery sleds that slide into the barrels, you can fit 17 mm cells into the barrels. Each barrell of the DB8aa will hold your choice of 6@ cr123 cells, 3 @ 17670 cells, or 4 @ 17500 cells. I found that the barrells were tight enough that only certain unprotected Li-Ion cells like the Panasonics would squeeze in.

The easiest and least cumbersome DB setup was the DB4AA with 3 @ CR123 in each barrell running in stock parallel driving the WA 1315.

Finally, I gave up on the unreliable DB platform and moved on to various hot-wired mag mods. It was really a shame, because the serial / parallel arrangements to lower the 0.7 amp load of the stock bulb to 0.35 amps per alkaline cell was novel for the time.

As you said, the DB8AA stock bulb was rated at 5.5 volts and 0.7 amps. The DB6AA bulb is rated at 4.2 Volts and 0.7 amps. If you run your DB8AA's at 4.8 V on NimHs you can overdrive the DB6AA bulbs nicely -- much brighter than underdriving the 5.5 volt bulb.

Have fun.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
The switch and plastic lamp holding assembly on the energizer DB6AA and DB8AA lights can't handle even 2 amps for any significant time. The reflector can't handle more than about 9 watts for any period of time.

Before I got rid of all my DB lights, I typically rewired them so that the two barrels on each light no longer ran parallel, but were changed to serial. I found that the best reliable combination for the DB8AA was 7 NimH in serial plus a dummy cell overdriving a WA 1315 bulb rated at 6.27 V, 1.42 amps. 8.9 Watts, 178 lumen and 125 hours. The voltage drop through the high resistance switch assembly is significant. Unfortunately, I destroyed a few switch assemblies while rewiring.

Alternatively, if you don't use the AA battery sleds that slide into the barrels, you can fit 17 mm cells into the barrels. Each barrell of the DB8aa will hold your choice of 6@ cr123 cells, 3 @ 17670 cells, or 4 @ 17500 cells. I found that the barrells were tight enough that only certain unprotected Li-Ion cells like the Panasonics would squeeze in.

The easiest and least cumbersome DB setup was the DB4AA with 3 @ CR123 in each barrell running in stock parallel driving the WA 1315.

Finally, I gave up on the unreliable DB platform and moved on to various hot-wired mag mods. It was really a shame, because the serial / parallel arrangements to lower the 0.7 amp load of the stock bulb to 0.35 amps per alkaline cell was novel for the time.

As you said, the DB8AA stock bulb was rated at 5.5 volts and 0.7 amps. The DB6AA bulb is rated at 4.2 Volts and 0.7 amps. If you run your DB8AA's at 4.8 V on NimHs you can overdrive the DB6AA bulbs nicely -- much brighter than underdriving the 5.5 volt bulb.

Have fun.

Wow, super helpful! :thumbsup:

Thanks!
Battery Guy

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Before I got rid of all my DB lights, I typically rewired them so that the two barrels on each light no longer ran parallel, but were changed to serial.

Do you have any notes or photos describing how one rewires these for a serial arrangement?

Cheers,
Battery Guy

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Do you have any notes or photos describing how one rewires these for a serial arrangement?

Nevermind. I just disassembled the 8AA DB light and it is pretty obvious how to rewire it to an 8 series configuration.

This is a great light for modding. I just wish it had a reflector/head assembly that could take more heat.

Cheers,
Battery Guy

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amen on the wishes about having a better head and switch assembly to work with. The limitations of these components were very frustrating.

I also had issues with the fit and finish of the various molded plastic tailcap assemblies. The double tailcap on the later DB4AA's that had a screw that went directly into the body was much better than the separate plastic caps on most DB6AA's and DB8AA's that screwed into each barrel separately. I found that the plastic tailcap threads degraded quickly so that coaxing them in took way to much time

Note also that you'll probably have to use a magnet or do something else to make the negative end of the reversed barrel contact the head. I think that I cut off one end of the sled or the other to facilitate this.

Last edited:

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Amen on the wishes about having a better head and switch assembly to work with. The limitations of these components were very frustrating.

I just purchased a couple aluminum reflectors from Kaidomain that appear to have similar dimensions, and a few glass lenses from flashlightlens.com. I am hoping that some combination of these will work in this light, and if I hit upon a solution I will let you know. But even with the glass lens and aluminum reflector, the ultimate limitation with respect to heat is still going to be the plastic head. I am hoping to have something that will be able to take around 20 W.

I also had issues with the fit and finish of the various molded plastic tailcap assemblies. The double tailcap on the later DB4AA's that had a screw that went directly into the body was much better than the separate plastic caps on most DB6AA's and DB8AA's that screwed into each barrel separately. I found that the plastic tailcap threads degraded quickly so that coaxing them in took way to much time.

Ugggh! I am glad I am not the only one! I thought that I must be doing something wrong. Those tailcaps are terrible! I have no idea why they didn't simply make those out of aluminum to begin with.

I will let you all know if I have any luck with this.

Cheers,
Battery Guy