pure flood AA light; what's available?

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
As strange as it may sound, I'm looking to get a pure flood LED light, preferably 1xAA format as a secondary light source when ambient light either doesn't provide enough, or at the wrong angle for photos. Oh and as an excuse for another light/spare battery carrier in my pocket....

Granted I only shoot with a Panasonic LX3, I've tried some flower macros that looked absolutely great on screen, but when I got home to process the subject was a little too dark in relation to the background. I tried using the flash at -2EV but its faaaaar too powerful for anything under 30cm. I was playing with my iTP SA2 and noticed that the flood portion of the beam was quite ideal for secondary lighting, the smooth flood was great for that purpose.

Unfortunately to justify purchasing another light, it has to survive some rough... urban conditions. My D10's already showing signs of how abusive things live in my pockets. The clip's finish is starting to go copper coloured, I think the lens o-ring is also gone (there's a small gap between the lens and the front edge of the bezel that I don't remember being present), there's a decent sized rub mark on the lens (that isn't wiping off) and the bezel's showing some impact points with the TK-566. The pocket is also my spare change repository, Photon Freedom Micro UV pocket, and work ID pocket. The new light will be replacing the TK-566, which might get retired and handed off to my sister again (how much she'll like the worn out edges is a different matter...)

The tough part is that the light needs to be under $70, runs single cell AA (to fit the purpose of a spare cell carrier), survive a LOT of abuse, and needs to be pure flood source capable with NO hotspot. I'm on the fence about it being available in a Neutral vs. Cool tint (cool works well against the sun, but neutral would have an appeal in more artificial lighting conditions). Lights with diffusers are... possible but an avenue I'd prefer to avoid as they still have a strong middle to the beam.

The only two I can come up with that fit within my rather specific criteria are the Romisen RC-29, and the Zebralight H501. Both are offered in cool and warm configurations, and are pure flood capable.
The RC-29 would yield versatility due to the flood to throw capabilities, but I'd likely want to mod the LED and the driver (shiningbeam's driver is still a 2 mode, and I have preferences to 3 for a L-M-H config). The plastic lens is of minor concern, I'm not quite sure how it would hold up to constant banging about against coins.... Although I do have to note that the TK-566's lens is still completely flawless (The D10 however does have that marred spot on it) despite it living right up against the coins. Spare tritium vials could also go in the head for some added night time glowy fun.
The Zebralight H501 is a far higher quality light, and I probably won't question its capabilities to handle the coin abuse. The lens is still a concern as it would be far harder (and likely more expensive) to replace, but the flood pattern is likely to be an extremely ideal format.

As with anything, the lower the cost the better... but I'm wondering on how much compromise I'm looking at for the difference. The RC-29 would be an excellent host to make into an ideal versatile light but zebralight's reputation and excellent beam pattern are obviously a strong draw.

A point I just noticed, does the H501 have a lanyard attachment hole? its something I personally must have on a light, and the lack of it would drop it out of my options....

Thanks for opinions and help, any information would be appreciated!

BWX

Enlightened
The H501 is awesome. No lanyard hole, but it is so small and lightweight you could probably easily make something out of a clip or something to attach a lanyard to, or just attach it to the provided clip. It looks like there's a new UI on the H501 now too.

"Updated version: a 2Hz flashing sub-level is added to the Medium level and a 0.5Lm moonmode is added to the Low level."
http://www.zebralight.com/H501-Headlamp-AA-Flood_p_11.html

I love mine and use it daily.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy any light and remove the reflector and you'll have pure spill. Would that work for your application?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
There's also the H50 Zebralight for the smallest package. Don't know if the tint would be acceptable, though.

Geoff

red02

Enlightened
The tough part is that the light needs to be under $70, runs single cell AA (to fit the purpose of a spare cell carrier), survive a LOT of abuse, and needs to be pure flood source capable with NO hotspot. I'm on the fence about it being available in a Neutral vs. Cool tint (cool works well against the sun, but neutral would have an appeal in more artificial lighting conditions). Lights with diffusers are... possible but an avenue I'd prefer to avoid as they still have a strong middle to the beam.

most of the options come in at about 70. Javelin host is available at the dereelight website for 28. Nailbender's dropins tend to be about 30-40, M30F is 55, ZL H501 is also 55.

A point I just noticed, does the H501 have a lanyard attachment hole? its something I personally must have on a light, and the lack of it would drop it out of my options....

no lanyard hole

+1 on the H501. but if your looking for something to with some reach check this out: http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4nohs.htm

Another option is a Javelin with an M30F or a nailbender low-voltage dropin with an XRE-R2 and 40 or 60 deg optic instead of a reflector. Found Here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/271519&page=11

Good luck, I've been looking around for options using the same config for a while.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Romisen RC G2 from DX then you can unscrew the head for pure flood any time you want, it's cheap and reasonably reliable. Though the H501w would imo be preferable, if you do have any problems you can simply buy another RC-G2 at $12.

Check out this video from 2mins in for a good idea of how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvWnTLJmH9E

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a zebralight h30 (cr123 verison) and it fits a tripod quite well.
IMG_3760.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

Not a perfect fit, but if i shake the tripod hard, the light still stays put :)
I think the aa versions (h50) got the same clip design, so i think it also will fit fine.
A good thing if you want to use it for photo:twothumbs

Last edited:

purelite

Enlightened
Look iinto the Peak Eiger wide head. Its all flood and has a sturdy lanyard attachment point and in Stainless steel can stand up to anything you throw at it. The head is fully potted as well. Only ting is its AAA battery but this makes it very compact.
I think there is one over on CPFMP right now!!!:grin2:

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
Buy any light and remove the reflector and you'll have pure spill. Would that work for your application?

sounds like a decent idea, i remember the allied international Element light had a removable reflector and it generated a very nice flood.

Get a Romisen RC G2 from DX then you can unscrew the head for pure flood any time you want, it's cheap and reasonably reliable. Though the H501w would imo be preferable, if you do have any problems you can simply buy another RC-G2 at $12.

Check out this video from 2mins in for a good idea of how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvWnTLJmH9E

Fair enough point, did not know the G2 had a removable head. Single mode driver I assume?

most of the options come in at about 70. Javelin host is available at the dereelight website for 28. Nailbender's dropins tend to be about 30-40, M30F is 55, ZL H501 is also 55.

Another option is a Javelin with an M30F or a nailbender low-voltage dropin with an XRE-R2 and 40 or 60 deg optic instead of a reflector. Found Here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/271519&page=11

Good luck, I've been looking around for options using the same config for a while.

Where on the dereelight site do they offer the Jav body/parts? I'm having problems finding it... I'm really liking the looks of the nailbender optics (and have wanted one for a while), how interchangeable are they? If its decent it would be quite the versatile setup and I could have multiple optics for beams I want... I take it any P60 host would work? Any idea on the battery life expected out of the nailbender drop ins? Wonder how well a 30~mm head will sit in a pocket....

The other half of my question is leading into the dreadful topic of tints.... However I'm not going down the avenue of what the human eye perceives as better, but what a camera detects better. Has anyone used a neutral vs. cool tint LED in photography, and which yielded better white balance results? I assume the answer is directly linked to the ambient source available, but logic doesn't always work...

*edit*
forgot to say thanks to Jorn for your setup, I was wondering how intrusive the clip design was.... appears to be very minimal and lanyard attachable.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
You need to email dereelight customer service and request an invoice for a javelin host.

as far as the modularity of the optics goes, nailbender would know much more than me.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I found the 40 degree is both much dimmer than the 60 degree and has slightly wider dispersion than the 60 degree. See my post here. FWIW, the 40 degree also seems to have some ugliness / visible pattern in the beam when used at close range.

red02

Enlightened
FWIW, I found the 40 degree is both much dimmer than the 60 degree and has slightly wider dispersion than the 60 degree. See my post here. FWIW, the 40 degree also seems to have some ugliness / visible pattern in the beam when used at close range.

Thanks for the closer look, if only he had the malkoff 20deg flood optic...

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
seems odd as a response from nailbender, as someone else posted a 8º vs. 40º optic and your "60" looks a lot like the 40...

thanks red02 and timbo114 for the dereelight parts, are the javelin/C2H bodies compatible with solarforce at all, or is the only commmon point between them the fact that they can take P60 modules? The solarforce accessories seem useful, but they don't make a 1xAA body (aside from the fivemega 18500 body)

red02

Enlightened
from my limited experience Surefire-Solarforce are compatible to some degree. I could be completely wrong, but Dereelight is only compatible with Dereelight, and then not completely. A jav head on a C2H body would work and give the most flexibility for 1xAA.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems odd as a response from nailbender, as someone else posted a 8º vs. 40º optic and your "60" looks a lot like the 40...
You got me... Nailbender said the completely frosted one is the 60 degree, so that's what I'm going on. Regardless IMHO the completely frosted optic is better than the one with the clear center and frosted donut.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
surnia said:
I'm not quite sure how it would hold up to constant banging about against coins

get a P7 suspension clip for your light and it will never be bouncing around at the bottom of your pockets and getting damaged, i got these for my keys and its really useful.