Choosing a flashlight

Dukas

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've been reading some reviews here for some time and now I need a little help.

I'm looking to buy a flashlight, mainly for military use (non-combat field operations - otherwise I'd have an issued light) but also EDC, outdoors use and work (EMT)

After browsing for a while I'm leaning mainly towards JetBeam RRT-2 and JET-III M (also considering Fenix TK11 but the JetBeams seem better to me), the reason I'm posting here is mainly because everything I know about lights is from reviews and I don't think I've seen enough lights to decide.

Anyway, my specs:

• Shopping method: Online buying.
  • Budget: Around $100 give or take.
  • Light type: Flashlight, will probably be weapon mounted.
  • Size: Not gigantic but not tiny. Again, weapon mounted / EDC.
  • Emitter: LED, Q3 maybe? Natural light is a huge pro.
  • Battery: Definitely rechargeable (18650?)
  • Light amount: Flexible; from as low as reading a map, finding my way around a tent without melting everyone's eyes out to medium enough to examine a patient in a dark environment to as high as scanning across a field.
  • Throw VS Flood: Somewhat balanced, a little towards throw I'd say (It'd also be nice to have the option to change the reflector)
  • Runtime: Average I guess, I could always carry extra batteries.
  • Durability: Important. I've mentioned the uses above.
  • Switch: Doesn't really matter.
  • UI: As simple as it gets (The RRT-2 UI is good by my terms)
  • Material: Aluminum?
So, are the RRT-2, Jet III and TK11 the type of lights for me or is there something out there more suitable for my needs or maybe I need to throw in a little more money?

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I love my RRT-2 it just doesn't go low enough for low light conditions, neither does the TK11. I think you may want to look at one of the programmable lights like the Jet-III M.

chef4850

Enlightened
+1 on the JB JetIII Military. Great light with good throw and spill.

Runs on different bat types and the UI is awesome.

Build quality= great! JetBeam is one of my favorite brands for build quality and overall appearance.

JetBeam=money well spent!

Chef

JCD

Enlightened
Anyway, my specs:

• Light amount: Flexible; from as low as reading a map, finding my way around a tent without melting everyone's eyes out to medium enough to examine a patient in a dark environment to as high as scanning across a field.
  • Throw VS Flood: Somewhat balanced, a little towards throw I'd say (It'd also be nice to have the option to change the reflector)

In my experience, multi-mode lights are a better idea in theory than in practice. They tend to make better toys than tools. I would recommend that you look into buying two lights, rather than trying to find one that does everything. My own multi-mode lights go unused, except one with which only one mode is used.

In general, incandescent light seems to be more useful outdoors, since incans provide full spectrum light. The full spectrum light means that in many/most outdoor situations, more (proportionally) of the light coming out of your light will be reflected back at you, and the light reflected back at you will render colors more accurately.

Incans also have the advantage of being filterable with a wide range of filters. Filters are subtractive. The remove light of colors different from the filter. They don't change the color of light. If you need red light, you can use a red filter; if you need infrared light (for night vision), you can add an infrared light; etc.

For a good aluminum incandescent light, I would recommend a Surefire 6P, C2, Z2, 9P, C3. For non-aluminum (yet still very durable) lights, check out the G2 and G3. (Check out the SureFire Web site for more information on different models.) The models with 6 or 2 in the model number are 6 V two cell lights. The models with 9 or 3 in the model number are 9 V three cell lights. I believe the P series lights are most readily mountable on a military rifle. The C series seems (to me) to be the most easily carried, due to their integrated pocket clip.

Personally, I like the 9P & C3 lights, due to the versatility in battery configurations with the stock lamp assembly. The will run off of 3x CR123A primary cells or 2x 17500 Li-ion rechargeable cells, with similar runtimes. (Note that rechargeable cells are not well suited for weapon mounted lights.)

For use in a tent, a small pocketable LED light would work well, a low output single mode light (e.g., Coast MiniTac), or a multi-mode light with a user interface that switches the light on low first (e.g., many small Fenix lights, many small Quark lights). (When it comes to multi-mode lights, UI's that allow access to any mode from off are superior to UI's that require you to cycle through different modes to access the desired mode, IMO) You might also consider choosing a small light that uses the same cell size as the big light.

Rather than looking for lights that allow you to change the reflector, consider purchasing a diffuser for your light(s) instead. It is much faster to switch back and forth, and accomplishes the same thing.

Finally, if you really want only one light, consider a SureFire A2 aviator. It is a hybrid incan and LED light, and is available in a variety of colors (i.e., blue, green, red, white, and yellow) for the LED. New and like new A2's can often be found in CPFMarketplace. I've never owned one, but owners seem to be very impressed with the light's brightness and throw, despite it being rated at "only" 50 lumens. The UI allows instant access to either mode from off, as well as momentary access to the incan "hi mode" from the LED "low mode." I'm not sure how well suited the A2 is for weapon mounting, though.

dss_777

Enlightened
Your uses and budget suggest two lights: a weapon-mounted thrower (stock G2L, or with G5 drop in), and a headlamp (Petzl or some-such).

Thermion

Newly Enlightened
I would also consider the Ra Clicky from HDS systems. It is a very handy multimode light. From the low low to the bright hi. I use mine at work and find the multimode extremely useful. From working close up on low, to looking at something 20-30' away in a semi lit environment on turbo. They do have a High CRI version, but it blows your budget a little bit. If you install the stock ugly clip, the light clips to the brim a a hat very well for hand free use. I have no idea about weapons mounting a light, I would think once mounted it would stay on the weapon and not be used for other things though. Good luck!

Dukas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

The Surefire lights are sort of expensive but I'm sure that they're worth it.
I'll look into buying 2 separate lights, maybe a Maratac AA or some other small light for the belt light and something more serious for mounting.

Also, I'm not really sure about getting an incon. light with disposable batteries - although they are better over LEDs when it comes to light quality I still need to keep in mind that I don't have the luxury of restocking with batteries very often, not to mention that you need a mortgage to buy 123's on a regular basis around here.

I'll dig around some more, see what I can find. Thanks again.

red02

Enlightened
Spyder Tactical has a nice cpf discount and they carry Surefire. If I was in the market, thats where I'd go. you can get a 6P incan for less than 50, A g2z for about 60. Best prices I've been able to find.

JCD

Enlightened
I'm not really sure about getting an incon. light with disposable batteries - although they are better over LEDs when it comes to light quality I still need to keep in mind that I don't have the luxury of restocking with batteries very often, not to mention that you need a mortgage to buy 123's on a regular basis around here.

Remember, you can run rechargeable cells in some incan lights. However, it generally isn't a good idea to run rechargeable cells in a weapon mounted light, incan or LED.

Last edited:

TwitchALot

Enlightened
Anyway, my specs:

If you absolutely have to have a single light, the Quark Turbo seems to suit your needs well. It offers momentary activation for weapon-mounted situations, and you can program the modes to suit your needs depending on the circumstances. That being said, it's probably better that you get different lights for the specific tasks you have in mind.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
In my experience, multi-mode lights are a better idea in theory than in practice. They tend to make better toys than tools.

That's a sweeping generalization there...

That said I do fully agree that multiple mode lights can be more of a pain than they're worth in more than a few situations.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why have one mode when you can have multiple, JCD I know you said "In my experience" which I take as IMO and everyone has there own opinions.

However a toy more than tool I have to totally disagree, I think of a multi mode light just like I do a multi tool there is something for just about every situation which in my mind would make it a tool and in fact a very good one.

Some to if not most lights you don't even have to use multiple modes if you choose not to it is just a option. Take the PD30 for example if you don't want low/med just tighten the head and it's a max output light.

entoptics

Enlightened
EagleTac T20C2 MKII or O-light M20 or M21.

Basically the size of a chubby 2xAA minimag, very robust, available in warm tint (at least the T20C2), good runtimes on 18650 (which is one of the best battery choices available), MONSTER output and good throw.

All have a usable medium mode with LONG runtime, and I believe they all have a relatively dim low mode (~incan minimag brightness of 5-10 lumens on the T20C2) that runs for hundreds of hours.

They have 1" diameter bodies, so weapon mounts are readily available in a wide variety of configurations.

JCD

Enlightened
Why have one mode when you can have multiple, JCD I know you said "In my experience" which I take as IMO and everyone has there own opinions.

However a toy more than tool I have to totally disagree, I think of a multi mode light just like I do a multi tool there is something for just about every situation which in my mind would make it a tool and in fact a very good one.

Some to if not most lights you don't even have to use multiple modes if you choose not to it is just a option. Take the PD30 for example if you don't want low/med just tighten the head and it's a max output light.

I own a PD30 (and a P3D). I carry the PD30 with me most times when I am away from the house. Why? Two reasons: it's a great emergency 2x CR123A/16340 spare cell container, and it has an SOS mode (on the outside chance I need such a feature).

Tightening the bezel doesn't make the PD30/P3D mimic a single mode light. switch activation will toggle back and forth between turbo and strobe (with off in between).

My PD30 does a lot, with four output levels, strobe, and SOS. However, it don't do anything well. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. I have brighter single mode lights. I have single mode lights with lower lows. I have single mode lights with better color rendition. I have single mode lights with more throw. I have single mode lights with more spill. I have more easily pocketable single mode lights.

I pick the best light for the task. My Fenix lights have yet to ever be the best light (excepting the potential task of SOS signaling) for any task.

If you like your PD30, that's great. More power to you. Mine has proven to be nothing more than an overpriced tacti-toy.