Fenix TK45 - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK45 - Submitted for consideration for the review forum

Looking to some like it would feel completely at home on a SciFi movie set, the TK45 by fan favorite Fenix is an attention grabber to say the least. However, can its performance stack up against its "extreme" appearance?

Fenix TK45

Meat and Potatoes

Claiming visual inspiration from the notable invention of Dr. Richard Gatling, the TK45 is Fenix' latest entry into the super high powered flashlight category that is becoming increasingly popular as of late. Though the trebling of LEDs to increase output is something that has been done before, I have not yet seen another light that affords each LED its own dedicated head/bezel.

Tri-Barreled Flashlight

The only time this triad of LEDs are lit individually is in the lowest output setting. Interesting to note, every time you power cycle the light at this level, the next bezel in line lights up to evenly distribute the wear and tear on the LEDs so that one does not experience undue amounts of use. At this 8 lumen level it shows that each of these three perfectly centered XP-G emitters projects a beautifully flawless beam with a well distributed corona in spite of using normally hazardous smooth reflectors. When combined in triplicate in every other output setting, these emissions blend together even further to create a stunningly smooth slightly wider beam, bathing the area in relatively even illumination. There is still a defined hotspot in the center of the beam, but the surrounding spread tapers off nicely providing very useful light. The output of the TK45 is claimed to be 760 lumens on Max output, but I really can't comment entirely about comparative brightness since my testing sample was only outfitted with R4 bin LEDs instead of the R5's that will be in the final production units.

Testing Sample

Switching for the TK45 is accomplished via a pair of side mounted momentary electronic switches dubbed by Fenix the "Sidewinder Switch". Simply put, the right button is the power switch for the light and the left cycles brightness levels from low to high with a mode memory locking in your last used output. For those who are thus concerned, there is a small bevvy of blinkey modes, including the obligatory strobe, SOS, and a signal of some sort. These outputs are accessible by switching mode groups with a simple double click of the power button. Thankfully these are tucked away in such a way as to not hinder normal use in any fashion. Using this type of switch is very appealing to me since it gives the TK45 a very professional, solid feel. The lack of a momentary option is countered by the near silent, low-effort required by these buttons.

Fenix' machinework appears top notch with the TK45, though it does appear to be rather thin-walled all the way around. I wouldn't count on this light to be quite as durable as some that I have seen, but used as more of a casual light this is still more than adequate. The unique ridges in the knurled portion give the light tremendous grip. Combined with the familiar-feeling size of the light, the whole package is very comfortable to use.

Constructive Criticism

The TK45 definitely offers a boost in accessibility by utilizing one of the most common portable power sources on the planet, the venerable AA cell. The immense power requirements however apparently necessitated 8 of them wired in series to be able to feed these LEDs with enough juice to run. There is definitely the concern here about having enough equally charged cells on hand to safely run this light. More than that, however, from a day to day use standpoint, the biggest concern is the brittle feeling battery magazine that loosely holds these cells in position to channel their energy into the proper contacts. The battery rattle on this torch is so pronounced that at times I feel like I am playing maraca in a mariachi band. I am concerned that one solid drop will snap some portion of the magazine, crippling this light until an adequate replacement can be obtained.

Though I do believe the switching mechanism to be high quality and the interface to be well thought out, I would like to see a little more differentiation, both visual and tactile, between the power and output selection switches. These two buttons are absolutely identical with no markings at all to distinguish between them. I really would suggest slight changes to the buttons themselves to make their intended function more obvious.

Identical Buttons

Conclusions

The TK45 is an extremely unique take on powerful, portable illumination. Bright, easy to use, and comfortable to hold, this flashlight provides a good user experience. Aesthetically, you either love it or hate it, but in my opinion, points are always given for originality. This torch gets my nod of approval.

Fenix TK45

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding review!

I really like this light!!

I will say, if this light can best the eagletac triple-Cree, I will be pulling trigger on this one. It has been a bit since I've seen a Fenix that I liked, but I am really digging this light...

recDNA

Flashaholic
How about some beamshots? I never thought Fenix would actually build this thing...at least not for AA's. Wrong again! LOL

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see what I can do about beamshots, but I won't post anything that doesn't turn out. My camera has a notoriously bad track record for those even when photographing high power lights like this.

As a comparison to the EagleTac M2XC4, this one definitely doesn't throw as well, but it is a contender for output. I don't have any equipment to measure, but they are at least in the same class.

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
What is the advantage of buying one of these compared to a Solarforce Masterpiece or ThruNite Catapult that put out 800-900 lumens?

aehaas

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see what I can do about beamshots, but I won't post anything that doesn't turn out. My camera has a notoriously bad track record for those even when photographing high power lights like this.

As a comparison to the EagleTac M2XC4, this one definitely doesn't throw as well, but it is a contender for output. I don't have any equipment to measure, but they are at least in the same class.

Nice, thanks Aardvark.

I think the AA is an interesting choice for this light. Though I love my Eneloops, I think I would prefer 18650s for this beauty...

Walterk

Enlightened
Thx for the review.

My single note: How much shell tickness do you want?
I never lost a flashlight because of denting or ripping the tube. Enough is enough. You can over-dimension anything because you like it to feel solid, but I think the weight is meaning close-to-zero for durability and quality of the build.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I wasn't really too concerned about that part. It "feels" a little thin, but as I mentioned, it should still be adequate.

Over all, I had reservations, but after some time, I really like using this light. It just "fits" well with me.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
its strange that after all the issues they had with people loading the tk40s wrong and ruining them with leaky alkalines that they would go ahead and reuse that same battery configuration. I guess 18650 is too exotic. I guess they'll just eat the returns in exchange for appealing to a larger audience. *shrugs* Too many batteries, too many heads, one sst-90 or even sst-50 could have accomplished this with a much more traditional look and a prettier beam. IMHO. Thanks for the review though, i love reading them.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review AardvarkSagus! What do you think of the TK45 compared to the TK40? The TK40 has a thin wall body tube that I can actually squeeze with my hand and feel it compressing, yet the TK40 has been proven to stand up to a real beating with no problems. Can the body tube of the TK45 also be squeezed?

Also, how many flash modes are on the TK45? The TK40 has the following four flash sequences:

Slow flash
S.O.S.
Fast flash
Strobe

Am I reading your review correctly and that the TK45 has different three flash modes?

-----------------------

Here we go again.

If people wanted Fenix to initially release the TK45 with 18650 or CR123A batteries, then they should have bought more TK30s. People "spoke" with their dollars and they bought more TK40s and thus, in Fenix's mind, showed that the masses want AA powered lights. (That's my theory anyway, but why would Fenix make a light that they think wouldn't sell well?)

If you wanted something other than AA batteries in the TK45, then you should have bought more TK30s. You had your chance to vote with your dollars. Did you or did you just complain online about AA batteries instead?

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
If people wanted Fenix to initially release the TK45 with 18650 or CR123A batteries, then they should have bought more TK30s. People "spoke" with their dollars and they bought more TK40s and thus, in Fenix's mind, showed that the masses want AA powered lights. (That's my theory anyway, but why would Fenix make a light that they think wouldn't sell well?)

If you wanted something other than AA batteries in the TK45, then you should have bought more TK30s. You had your chance to vote with your dollars. Did you or did you just complain online about AA batteries instead?

Some companies strive to build high end products (e.g., SureFire, HDS, Mercedes). Some companies strive to sell lots of their product to the masses (e.g., Fenix, MagLite, Ford). Neither business strategy is wrong, but they do tend to lead to different design philosophies.

recDNA

Flashaholic
AA batteries, but depending on who you are you might also look at this as a disadvantage.

Plus it's a Fenix ( I trust their products more) and it looks really cool in a technoworld kind a way.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
its strange that after all the issues they had with people loading the tk40s wrong and ruining them with leaky alkalines that they would go ahead and reuse that same battery configuration.

The battery carrier is designed to prevent battery electrode contact if they are loaded improperly. Its dummy proof now. This design is explained on some of the you-tube videos.

I also prefer AA batteries over specialized Lithium batteries, which can sometimes be difficult to find replacements batteries for. In some cases, the Lithium battery, depending on size, can go out of production (although I would be surprised if this happened to the 18650 Lithium). Recently, people on the B/S/T forum started getting rid of their custom Fivemega Lithium C battery lights because replacement batteries were getting too difficult to find, even on the internet. Sure, they could have sleeves made to adapt another battery to do the job, but with AA batteries, you never have that scenario, ever.

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review AardvarkSagus! What do you think of the TK45 compared to the TK40? The TK40 has a thin wall body tube that I can actually squeeze with my hand and feel it compressing, yet the TK40 has been proven to stand up to a real beating with no problems. Can the body tube of the TK45 also be squeezed?

Also, how many flash modes are on the TK45? The TK40 has the following four flash sequences:

Slow flash
S.O.S.
Fast flash
Strobe

Am I reading your review correctly and that the TK45 has different three flash modes?

-----------------------
Unfortunately I can't compare the TK45 to the TK40 since I have never beheld that particular light. The tube on the TK45 doesn't seem to deform at all to hand pressure. I didn't really say that the wall thickness was a problem with this light, merely a comment about it.

Re: blinkey modes: Yes, the TK45 has 3 modes. A fast strobe, S.O.S., and roughly ~2hz. flash.

@carl: I am not sure I can test the parasitic drain on this light since it has both negative and positive contacts in the head of the light. The body isn't used at all for conductive purposes so I can't just take a tailcap measurement (not sure my multimeter is up to the task anyway, haven't tried it yet on minuscule currents like that).

AusKipper

Enlightened
AA's - I am one of those that prefer them :)

Thin wall - I originally had the same feeling about my TK40, but after seeing the extreme torture test, and actually having dropped mine a couple of times, my fears have gone. It doesn't feel like a TK20 though :p (damn I love the thick walls on that baby, sure its impracticable and heavy, but it feels awesome psychologically)

Weird multi head thing - I personally dont like the look of it, and it seems like theres lots of internal places that will gather dust and mud lol (like on the inside part of each head if that makes sense)

Buttons near the head instead of on the tailcap - I think this definitely makes sense for a torch of this size!!! using the switch on my TK40 feels a little awkward.

I dont think i'll be getting one, but thats mostly because i already have a TK40... now if I didnt already have a big 500+ lumin torch.... I may take this over the TK40... maybe.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
@carl: I am not sure I can test the parasitic drain on this light since it has both negative and positive contacts in the head of the light. The body isn't used at all for conductive purposes so I can't just take a tailcap measurement (not sure my multimeter is up to the task anyway, haven't tried it yet on minuscule currents like that).

OK. Just curious about it since the TK40 parasitic drain is quite large IMHO.