Seraph Mini-Turbo Head

recDNA

Flashaholic
I was considering ordering a Seraph Turbo head to increase the throw of some of my drop-ins.

I wonder if anybody has ever tested a host like the L2 or 6P with and without the turbo head to measure the increase in Lux?

I'm especially interested in the Nailbender SST-90 if you happen to have one to test but really any drop in will do. I just want to make sure throw is increased enough to make the Turbo head a worthwhile purchase.

flashfiend

Enlightened
As far as I know, this uses a D36 sized reflector and I've had both an sst-90 and sst-50 in that format from nailbender. In my experience the lux increase is significant with the 50 but to my eyes marginal with the 90. I'm comparing this to D26 modules in both the 90 and 50 as well, so you know this is mainly not an apples to oranges comparison.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rec,

The LF mini-turbo looks really nice. I'd order one myself but there's a lack of LED D36 drop-ins available, cos a std. P60 / D26 drop-in won't fit...

LF makes plenty of incans like this:

http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Factory-HO-9L-D36-9-volt-380-Lumens-Lamp-Assembly_p_1019.html

For the money it seems like a good choice.

It would be great if someone could find a P-60 pill compatible D36 reflector so you could simply swap out the D26 reflector on your existing P60 drop-ins....

I'm also investigating if a 30-35 mm TIR optic can be adapted to a P60 assembly AND fit the LF mini-turbo, Malkoff style. Anyone else done any work in this area???

recDNA

Flashaholic
As far as I know, this uses a D36 sized reflector and I've had both an sst-90 and sst-50 in that format from nailbender. In my experience the lux increase is significant with the 50 but to my eyes marginal with the 90. I'm comparing this to D26 modules in both the 90 and 50 as well, so you know this is mainly not an apples to oranges comparison.
Those were exactly the modules I was interested to hear about. I had hoped it would be a big help with the SST-90 since it is reputed to be mostly flood. I already have the SST-50 and I'm satisfied with its throw in the D26 head.

Do you know of any inexpensive(<$50) 1 X 26650 hosts?

recDNA

Flashaholic
ask nailbender. he may have some D36 modules that fit the LF mini-turbo head.

I know he does. The question is is it worth investing in the turbo head to increase throw in the D36 head vs the D26 head.

I really need someone who owns a lux meter and the Seraph turbo head and the SST-90 in D36 and in D26 who can run a comparison test. It's not likely I'll find such a person but no harm in asking.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Do you know of any inexpensive(<$50) 1 X 26650 hosts?
Some sort of Mag mod is all I can think of, well over $50 I know but I love my 1 X 26650 with Nailbenders SST-50 :thumbsup:
Norm

recDNA

Flashaholic
Some sort of Mag mod is all I can think of, well over $50 I know but I love my 1 X 26650 with Nailbenders SST-50 :thumbsup:
Norm

What do you use for a host?

I wouldn't know how to modify the Maglite host to accept the NAilbender drop in.

flashfiend

Enlightened
I know he does. The question is is it worth investing in the turbo head to increase throw in the D36 head vs the D26 head.

I really need someone who owns a lux meter and the Seraph turbo head and the SST-90 in D36 and in D26 who can run a comparison test. It's not likely I'll find such a person but no harm in asking.

It's worth it for the 50. The 90 stays pretty floody.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Only 26xxx series hosts I've found of are the FiveMega, Leef and TKN. Lighthound sells a Leef "C" cell body for about $38 but you still need a head adapter and tailcap .

For a bit more $$$ you could use one of FiveMega's 26500 series hosts. Check out this thread...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235414

The LF mini turbo should thread right on...
$38 sounds fair to me but what kind of head adapter would I need? What kind of head is the leef built to fit? Same with the tail. What kind of tailcap fits the leef?

Fivemega is out of 1 X 26650 bodies.

I wonder if the turbo head increases lux by some consistant percentage?

Last edited:

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
Is there a D36 XRE-R2 drop-in for the Seraph Mini-Turbo head that can out-throw a XRE-R2 in a DBS V3 with SMO?

I read that the DBS reflector allows the user to swap in pills, say from a P60 drop-in. One just has to make sure to put an insulator between the pill and the bottom of the reflector to prevent a short.

Can the same be done with the Seraph MTH?

stallion2

Enlightened
i have one of FM's D36 1x26650 hosts w/ NB's SST-90 DD & SMO dropin and it doesn't throw whatsoever. massive flood, massive output but not great for long range. you might do better w/ a TLS TX3. i bored mine for an SST-50 DD and its become my favorite high output light. it throws quite well but not as aggressively as the Catapult.

though i've been tempted i still haven't tried it w/ the SST-90. i've been reluctant to for fear of damaging the pill. i doubt that even a 2.5" turbohead is large enough to collimate an SST-90 for great throw.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory Mini-Turbo only works w/ a D36 sized drop-in. DBS is different w/ seperate "light engine" and reflector [IIRC]...

Don't know about LF R2 D36 [the only LED D36 they make] vs. DBS.... DBS has a reputation for "throw" so I'll wager that the LF mini-turbo won't match it.

All the SST based "throwers" I've seen here had large reflectors or large aspherics, the large die just won't collimate in a small reflector.....

stallion2

Enlightened
Lumens Factory Mini-Turbo only works w/ a D36 sized drop-in. DBS is different w/ seperate "light engine" and reflector [IIRC]...

Don't know about LF R2 D36 [the only LED D36 they make] vs. DBS.... DBS has a reputation for "throw" so I'll wager that the LF mini-turbo won't match it.

All the SST based "throwers" I've seen here had large reflectors or large aspherics, the large die just won't collimate in a small reflector.....

i don't have my lights in front of me right now but i believe the DBS reflectors are slightly larger in diameter, regardless, they are definitely way deeper than a typical D36. i did modify my DBS XP-G setup to be used w/ an SST-50 2.8A from NB. it turned out awesome...doesn't throw quite like the Cat but the hotspot is just massive. i'm sure it would collimate an SST-90 better than a D36 but still not a hardcore thrower.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender now makes his D36 drop-ins fit the Seraph D36 Lumens Factory bezel.

If you want throw you have to stick to the R2 XR-E at 1.3A via 4~14v driver. Ask Dave to pott it for better heatsinking. Mine in P60 format pulls 290 OTF.

The SST-50 at 2.5A regulated would be my 2nd choice.

bigC

recDNA

Flashaholic
Nailbender now makes his D36 drop-ins fit the Seraph D36 Lumens Factory bezel.

If you want throw you have to stick to the R2 XR-E at 1.3A via 4~14v driver. Ask Dave to pott it for better heatsinking. Mine in P60 format pulls 290 OTF.

The SST-50 at 2.5A regulated would be my 2nd choice.

bigC

Already have the SST-50 at 2.5A regulated. Ever measure lux of your R2?

LV426

Enlightened
Any body that have a possibility to compare color (yes, I'm a bit vain) between a Seraph and a gray Solarforce L2P?

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have one of FM's D36 1x26650 hosts w/ NB's SST-90 DD & SMO dropin and it doesn't throw whatsoever. massive flood, massive output but not great for long range. you might do better w/ a TLS TX3. i bored mine for an SST-50 DD and its become my favorite high output light. it throws quite well but not as aggressively as the Catapult.

though i've been tempted i still haven't tried it w/ the SST-90. i've been reluctant to for fear of damaging the pill. i doubt that even a 2.5" turbohead is large enough to collimate an SST-90 for great throw.

The SST-90 is a massive flood only LED. You will never get much throw out of it, no matter what reflector you use unless it's a custom long reflector.

stallion2

Enlightened
The SST-90 is a massive flood only LED. You will never get much throw out of it, no matter what reflector you use unless it's a custom long reflector.

i wouldn't say flood only, my SR-90 throws like hell. of course the reflector is massive and there is still a lot of spill...an overwhelming amount in some cases. it would be interesting to see how deep a reflector would be required to turn an SST-90 into a true, purpose-built thrower.