• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SPF: Another Stubby Mag

saltytri

Enlightened
SOLD: Another Stubby Mag

$175 conus

4671795157_515c305358.jpg

This time, it's a C Mag. This along the same lines as the last one ( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277586 ), which was made to try out a recessed switch in the tail cap.

4672474692_26a4739a16.jpg

The tail cap is pretty much like the last one, but smaller. It starts out getting internally threaded and bored at the end.

4671793157_c8017da5c5.jpg

A trim ring is threaded to the bottom of the tail cap....

4671793473_4e8ceeb599.jpg

....followed by the rubber boot and a Fenix switch.

4671793627_b26a2c260f.jpg

A retaining ring holds everything in place.

4672420314_430ae87603.jpg

The body is cut off at both ends, leaving only the knurled section. Both ends are re-threaded.

4671794231_4f1309aff1.jpg

4672420990_9489a56fa6.jpg

The heat sink is threaded to keep it secure in the body. The driver, a three-level ShiningBeam #1131, is held in place by a brass retaining ring.

4671870331_4437d8edb0.jpg

The business end is an XP-G R4 (2B tint) from ShiningBeam. The supplied wires from the driver are replaced with 24AWG Teflon.

4671795313_145e96e14a.jpg

A plastic tube holds an 18650. It fits both the AW 2200mAH and 2600mAH cells.

4672421162_b606051985.jpg

Here's the catch. Along the way, I noticed rub marks on the tail cap knurling. I don't know whether I did this or it came that way but, even though the marks aren't obvious, I consider them to be a defect and the light is priced accordingly.

4672419860_a2d8a3427d.jpg

The reflector is an MOP from DX. It gives a narrow and very bright hot spot with a large ring of spill that has a well-defined edge.
The lens is glass.

4671794735_b612446542.jpg

4672421570_6a58f1123b.jpg

The current at the tail cap is:

1.38A on high
.40A on medium
.06A on low

This wasn't intended to be the brightest light on CPF but, rather, a reasonably strong light with good run time. According to the Cree data sheet, the XP-G should be putting out about 400 lumens on the high setting. This ought to be plenty to keep anyone from getting lost in the dark!

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Another Stubby Mag

Another nice one, well done :twothumbs

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW! Status upgrade from Flashaholic to MMM - Master Mag Modder!

I'm keeping my eye on you!

Beautiful Build!

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another beauty. And in my price range! ;) Do you have any beamshots of this one?

EDIT: Also, what's the tint like on the XPG 2B?

Last edited:

saltytri

Enlightened

I'll get beam shots up when it gets dark - I just finished this today.

As for the color, that's pretty subjective but I'd call it "pretty darned white." :laughing: Certainly not warm but not green either.

There's actually a little more to the story. The first emitter that I glued on was an XP-G R4 that I got from Cutter. It was so green that I put the heat sink on the lathe and just faced that lousy thing right off. That left a shiny new surface for the current R4. I've got a couple more of the Cutter R4s if anyone wants some really green light. :thumbsdow

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's pretty dark here on the East Coast right now. :grin2: I checked out the binning info on Cree's sight. Looks like the 2B should be about 5700K. Definitely interested in this one. :thumbsup:

I'll get beam shots up when it gets dark - I just finished this today.

As for the color, that's pretty subjective but I'd call it "pretty darned white." :laughing: Certainly not warm but not green either.

There's actually a little more to the story. The first emitter that I glued on was an XP-G R4 that I got from Cutter. It was so green that I put the heat sink on the lathe and just faced that lousy thing right off. That left a shiny new surface for the current R4. I've got a couple more of the Cutter R4s if anyone wants some really green light. :thumbsdow

saltytri

Enlightened

It's pretty dark here on the East Coast right now. :grin2: I checked out the binning info on Cree's sight. Looks like the 2B should be about 5700K. Definitely interested in this one. :thumbsup:

You still awake? Here are some beam shots. This thing actually impresses the heck out of me as a thrower, especially for the relatively low power consumption.

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't resist any longer. :poof: I'll take it! :thumbsup: Please PM me paypal info.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those are some crazy beamshots!~ It doesn't appear to have any spill and a beautiful hotspot!

Is that the WF-500 SSC P7 reflector?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened

Wow, what a beautiful Maglite forward clicky!

If you where to sell D sized clicky tailcaps separately, I would buy them

Lumilo

Newly Enlightened

Congrats to a great Flashlight.

And my tribute to a great Modder.Awesome work.:wave:

Hope you do more of these.Maybe a stubby pewter D Mag with a SST-50 or 90.:D

saltytri

Enlightened

Thanks, ninemm! PM sent.

Those are some crazy beamshots!~ It doesn't appear to have any spill and a beautiful hotspot!

The reflector is DX sku# 18072. There is a certain amount of spill but it seems like most of the light gets bunched up in a little ball and pushed well down the block.

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, ninemm! PM sent.

The reflector is DX sku# 18072. There is a certain amount of spill but it seems like most of the light gets bunched up in a little ball and pushed well down the block.

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Great light at a great price. The amount of work you put into screw cutting is unreal! Most people would avoid all that extra work, and somehow you seem to enjoy it.

I was wondering, did you have to space the reflector off the LED solder points to prevent it shorting?

saltytri

Enlightened
Hi, Essex - good to hear from you again.

Yes, you are quite right about the solder contacts. For optimum focus, this reflector needs to get close to the emitter board. In fact, the best focus seemed to come just as the flat rear surface of the reflector was about to cause a short. To prevent a potential problem if the owner turns the head on its threads, which is certain to happen, I put a layer of Teflon tape on the rear surface of the reflector. This isn't the micro-thin Teflon tape that is used to seal plumbing threads but a much thicker adhesive-backed tape. The advantage of using Teflon here is two-fold. First, it's non-conductive. Second, it's slick and as it contacts the solder pads and wires, it slides rather than tearing.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work Saltytri! I been eyeing your creations waiting for the one that calls my name.

How are you centering the led?

Thanks!
AlexGT

saltytri

Enlightened
Nice work Saltytri! I been eyeing your creations waiting for the one that calls my name.

How are you centering the led?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Thanks, AlexGT!

Here's photo of a heat sink that I'm working on. I make a plastic tube that is bored to accommodate the emitter and put the tube in a chuck in the lathe tail stock. This then holds the emitter in place against the heat sink while the glue dries.

IMG_0169.jpg