Proxyconn, I am impressed so far

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I signed up today for Proxyconn from a link on FoxNews.com. It is supposed to speed up your dial up internet connection to near DSL speed. Well, I haven't seen that so far but I have to say it is about twice as fast opening pages. Downloads don't seem to be very different. Overall I am impressed. Cost was about $60 a year and I have one week to cancel. Unless something changes I will keep it. My Dad, who didn't tell me until tonight, signed up through an e-mail link sent to him by a buddy and it was only $40 a year. I can get the link if anyone's interested. Bottom line, if you're on dial up this thing works, at least for me. I would call it a 70-80k bps connection equivalent.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I've always heard that that sort of stuff usually slowed down things in reality; I guess this thing works differently though...

I was going to ask you to go to a website that tests your actual speed, but both their servers are down....

Be interesting to really find something that works! Course I'm on cable and average about 1.3 "real" Mbts (supposed to get 1.5 Mbts) so except when I'm traveling it doesn't apply to me.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the difference in speed is due to filtering out unwanted content from each page? Since I switched from a IE browser to Mozilla, my page-opening speed has about doubled -- primarily, I think, because I have it configured to reject images and pop ups from unwanted sites.

Paul