Didn't know the SF P60L was discontinued.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Sorry if I'm late on this I just found out. Was browsing the SF website and was surprised that the P60L was discontinued. Saw that instead they are offering the KX4 http://www.surefire.com/KX4-LED-Conversion-Head and KX4D (with crenellated strike bezel) http://www.surefire.com/KX4D-LED-Conversion-Head 120 lumens $52. The KX4 comes in blk ano., blk hard ano., and hard ano., OD Grn., Tan and Yel. and the KXD only in blk. ano. I guess this is the long awaited P61L. Saw that a CPFer had the new Z2-S and state that it didnt fit his C2 or P60 based SF something about the threads but maybe Z2-S (160 lumen) is different. It says it fits any SF equipped witha P60 or P61 LA. I hope they sell M3TL head with LA only later so I can buy it and put on my M3T:broke:

Last edited:

txgp17

Enlightened
Wow, that's a shocker.

I'd always felt that they could have easily upgraded the emitter to keep the P60L competitive. I guess they disagree.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
On the other hand, it's great that the new full head modules are still compatible with the old hosts.

Rather than forcing people to buy whole new lights they've given current owners, even of the old incandescent lights a relatively cheap way to upgrade to Surefire's latest and greatest.

JCD

Enlightened
On the other hand, it's great that the new full head modules are still compatible with the old hosts.

Also, the list price for the KX4 is $52, which, IIRC, was the list price for the P60L. That seems very fair to the customer.

The only drawback that I see is that it will take more than just a spares carrier and a P60 to provide the versatility of being able to quickly and easily switch back an forth between incan and LED in the same host, depending on needs.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm more curious about all the products that they refer you to another dealer for - is Surefire going to quit selling direct?
No I don't think so - it is normal to give Dealers the first bite at the sales of the release of new products. Given the demand for new products from Dealers it takes a while to build up sufficient stock at SureFire for them to offer the new products from their website.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool - I was debating giving away my G2 and G3 bodies because I didn't have any use for them.

This may very well change that.

-Trevor

Size15's

Flashaholic
Is it possible that P61L is coming soon?
I think with the replacement of the P60L by the KX4 I believe we're seen the transition from Lamp Assemblies to dedicated bezels.
This opens the way for a higher output KX4-type bezel in the future I suppose.

5Sport

Enlightened
Has anyone tried this conversion? I'm interrested in one of these.

Also, it sais 2-3.3 hours run time, does it cut off after that amount of time, or does it just get dimmer. I was wonderring if the lumen rating was for the entire 2 or 3.3 hours

Last edited:

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
I believe that is the run time down to 50%. After that you still have useful light for a few more hours. If you do a cpf google search for kx4 it comes up with quite a bit of information. You can either buy the bezel itself for your current light or just get a new 6p, g2. etc... The new lights come with the new kx4.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
You can either buy the bezel itself for your current light or just get a new 6p, g2. etc... The new lights come with the new kx4.
Just to be clear; its the current LED versions of the models you mention that now feature the KX4. So that's 6PL, G2L, C2L, Z2L, 6PDL, G2ZL.
The KX4 bezel is clearly laser-etched as such and the output rating is 120 rather than 80 lumens. Not every model in every colour finish has been updated yet...

5Sport

Enlightened
With that being said, and without starting a war. Which is a better drop in, the new KX4, or a Malkoff M61L or M61WL, for a P6 Surefire. The Surefire drop in is considerably cheaper and the factory is close to my house.

I am looking for a light with a decently long run time, that is still bright. My C3 with a M61 is my primary. Or my Streamlight rechargeable when I am working. I am a LEO

Thanks

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for clearing that up size15. Also, you might keep in mind some web retailers are still selling new p60l 6pl, g2l, etc. I'm guessing it's just leftover stock. Just make sure what you are buying before you buy it.

5sport, the kx4 is an entire bezel not just a drop in. As far as which to buy, I'd like to have both... :whistle: I think the Malkoff's are going to win in the runtime area though. It looks like the M61L has more lumens and a longer runtime at full output. http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m60l-low-output-to-fit-surefire-p-8.html

Last edited:

5Sport

Enlightened
I know that this is a subjective question, but the KX4 is about 1/2 of what the Malkoff would cost me. On the other hand, if it is no where near as bright or if the Malkoff will run that much longer, I will get the Malkoff.

Does the Malkoff run at full power for the 5 hours, or does it decrease in brightness too?

Cole07

Enlightened
I know that this is a subjective question, but the KX4 is about 1/2 of what the Malkoff would cost me. On the other hand, if it is no where near as bright or if the Malkoff will run that much longer, I will get the Malkoff.

Does the Malkoff run at full power for the 5 hours, or does it decrease in brightness too?

Don't forget how much SF under rates. I bet you the KX4 will easily compete with the M61L. The KX4 is more than just a measly 120 lumens. Trust me. I own one. But Malkoff definetely has SF beat to crap in the runtime department.

5Sport

Enlightened
So how is that KX4? Does it give you 2 hours at full power, and if I read Malkoff correctly, it will give full power for 5 hours? And then start to drop off?

Cole07

Enlightened
Haven't actually tested the runtime. But my first set of batteries just died the other night after using it pretty regularly every night since I got it about 3 weeks ago. They didn't actually "die". They just dropped out of regulation and started running at about 50 lumens or whatever Surefire claims after the 2 hours is up. I would say that the output is about 180-200 lumens based on just taking a guess. I wish I had a malkoff M61/M61L to compare it with. But I don't.