Quark Mini 123 saved the party

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
My gf's sister was having a party on a roof and they forgot to bring lighting. It got dark out and I was able to clip my quark mini 123 to the umbrella over the picnic table they have up there using the Mcgizmo clip I have on it. On medium it lit up the picnic table quite nicely for 3 hours til the battery died. Of course this was the first battery I put in it 3 months ago.
:twothumbs

325addict

Enlightened
and that was the moment, people thought that you were, for one time, NOT totally crazy for always carrying a flashlight??

Every time something like this happens to me (during a black out for example) that's the only moment people think it's handy to have ME hanging around, because my pockets are always full of flashlights... all other moments I am "that crazy flashlight guy".

The last time this happened was... yesterday. I produced my LD01 when a friend of mine couldn't see well what he was doing while working on the 230V mains! That is, of course, potentially lethal, so I put that LD01 on high in there... using the ceiling bounce method to have some light everywhere.

Timmo.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny to think just 3 years ago I got my first light, the fenix E0, for 20 bucks and now I have a quark mini 123 on my keychain and it only cost 16 bucks more. The fenix was and still is awesome but.....yeah. It didn't even come with a fancy gift box,lanyard or battery either :p

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Sol-leks: yeah, and not to mention that the EO1 only emits 10 lumens while the MiNi 123 emits 189 OTF lumens on high

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I started with the E0 not the E01 which was only 8 lumens. It was still a swell light tho. But yeah, they aren't really comparable.

rlorion

Newly Enlightened
No matter where I go the Mini 123 is around my neck on the lanyard...and funny thing is I always seem to find a reason to use it on a daily basis. I'm known as the Illuminator at work due to the multiple high powered lights I carry in my Lunch bag or clipped to my pocket. My other EDC is my Fenix PD30...another great light.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incidentally, let's not ignore the accessories while praising the light. Without a mcgizmo clip I wouldn't have been able to use the light as effectively. The great lanyard it comes with is also really handy for attaching the quark to things, or for just hangin it around your neck of course.

paulr

Flashaholic
You didn't have a spare battery? This is a situation where the AA version might have been easier to scrounge a spare for at the scene. Nice work either way!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always keep some spares in my sidebag, but didn't have it with me. You are right though this would've been a nice time to have my old fenix LOD with me. I mean I could've probably run out to a deli and found a cr123, they have them most places now, but the situation didn't seem to warrant dropping 10 bucks for a battery.

paulr

Flashaholic
If it was really dark, the low mode might have been enough.

ky70

Banned
This is a great story but this reminds me of a few things:
- this is why I love rechargeables as I always have fully charged batts in my lights
- I always have multiple lights on my person and as I like to stay...I walk around with 2 weeks worth of light on my person.
- My spare battaries are never very far away from me.

Last edited:

papajoe

Newly Enlightened
+1.......... I have a similar story with my MiNi CR2. Not as good, but similar.
For awhile I was a HERO.

I enjoyed watching people looking for the "flashlight". They'd pick up the mini and be dumbfounded. :whistle:

tokerblue

Newly Enlightened
We had some heavy thunderstorms here in CT yesterday. Suffice to say, we were without power from 3PM-3AM. I just received my 4sevens Preon on Friday and got to put it use quite a bit. I also have the Quark 123 and spent a great deal of time outside seeing what it can do.

Thank goodness for the tritium vial I have on my 123. It made finding it very easy at night.