Freeing a leaky battery from Mag 2D?

Pierce the Night

Newly Enlightened
Hello, all.

Due to long illness I had overlooked a Maglite 2D: later went to use it: and found that the alkaline batteries had leaked. I was able to release the one but the other is stuck; and hope that some knowledgeable, kind soul will instruct me as to how to free it.

Thereafter, and assuming it's not beyond reclamation, I'd like to start making more use of the Mag 2D. I rather like the idea of an LED conversion of some sort. (Sorry if that's anathema to frequenters of this part of CPF.) No technician I, it would either have to be a drop-in module or a matter of sending it away for alteration. I'd quite like the thing to have a lot more throw; but if Mag 2Ds lend themselves best to being 'flood'-lights, do please feel free to recommend a suitable conversion.

(And sorry if I've posted in the wrong place.)

Thank you,

Pierce.

mrartillery

Enlightened
There's really no "nice and gentle" way to retrieve the stuck battery, depending on how bad its corroded. Some you can beat over a workbench and they will come out, others fuse their self to the tube itself, then you have a problem.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are familiar with the mag D then my recommendation will help. I will try to explain how I have done it before. If anyone has pictures or more input please jump in. Unscrew the head and looking down into the light around the switch/bulb assembly you will see a "C clip" that keeps the batteries from pushing the switch out the top. With a small screwdriver or hook of some sort and practice you can pull this clip out of it's groove and out the top of the light. then you can remove the switch assembly the same way it's shown on this site somewhere except the switch comes out the front instead of the bottom. You can then use something (I used a piece of 1" pvc conduit) and a hammer to knock the stuck battery out. If you search on here for mag builds you will run across a picture of a mag switch removal I'm sure. Hope this helped.

Enlightened
Many years ago I had luck freeing a stuck D cell from an old metal flashlight by pouring a couple ounces of water into the barrel, dropping in a dead C cell, replacing the cap and shaking it like a madman. It eventually worked but I looked pretty silly doing it. :whistle:

Mark

ferretkona

Newly Enlightened
I have drilled some out, use a 1/4" to start, move up to a 1/2" and on. The heat and friction usually works them out

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get the switch out that will help greatly. If not drill out the battery center and pick the shell out with seal picks, shouldn't take too long. Drill about 20 holes in the cell and it will fall apart. Put some tape on the bit so you don't go too far.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
could try drilling a hole in the middle of the D cell and using a car body slide hammer to try and knock it out.

Qoose

Enlightened
Many years ago I had luck freeing a stuck D cell from an old metal flashlight by pouring a couple ounces of water into the barrel, dropping in a dead C cell, replacing the cap and shaking it like a madman. It eventually worked but I looked pretty silly doing it. :whistle:

Mark

Sounds like a shake light.