Peter, If you build these, they will come.Trust me

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, If you build these, they will come. Trust me.

If you were to build Arc-AAA's and Arc-AAA's With the on watt Lux. The Flashaholics will come. The will come salivating and with open wallets.

newg

Newly Enlightened
Re: Peter, If you build these, they will come.Trus

Uh, just to be a cautionary voice, I don't know that there is a mass market for $60-70 keychain lights. I'm thinking not, in a big way.

Hey, but I'd probably buy one.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL, some people will buy a $600.00 keychain light.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to agree with JonSidneyB. When I saw the specs for the Arc AA, I was a little disappointed. If it were to have a Luxeon with 3 times the brightness of an Arc AAA, even without good throw, I'd snap one (or more) up. But then, the rumor is that Peter is already thinking about something like this.

Paul

Byron Walter

Enlightened

But would a one-watter really work very well with either a AAA or a AA? I'm an ignoramus on the tech side but either you extend the run time and under-drive the LED which means that you end up with about the brightness of a low-power LED or you suck the battery down in no time. Also wouldn't the form factor of the one watter mean that the AAA body would have to be enlarge both in length and diameter? So by the time you are done you might just find yourself looking at an LS2 with a birth defect? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Free

Enlightened

I was going to sign up for the AA until I saw that it had the same output as the AAA.

I love the AAA and have given away a dozen of them. To go larger, for me, would mean brighter.

Sign me up for one of the first 1w LuX AA's

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened

Marketing-wise, I beliebve an AA with 1W Luxeon would dovetail nicely between AAA and LS. Maybe even a 2AA model, for those who want Arc quality and Luxeon brightness, but can't afford a LS4?
And a 2AAA Luxeon? Maybe with LS4 electronics??
Guess I'll better go and take a cold shower now...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Guys, the only reason the ARC-AA is being made is that we've been asking for an ARC-AAA with longer runtime. That's exactly what Peter has built for us. It wasn't meant to be more powerful, brighter, have a longer throw or have the ability it wash your car. It's intent was to have a AAA-like ARC product with longer runtime. That's what we got. By the way, Peter was against building this from the start. It was our desire to have such a light that Peter went against his wishes to manufactor.

Byron Walter

Enlightened

PaulW,

Thanks for the link. That's a pretty neat piece of work.

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened

I think using the Arc AA with an LS makes more sense. Firstly, you will have a longer runtime. Secondly, the bigger head and body will serve for better heatsinking. And finally, having a bigger reflector with a HD will produce a much more useful beam. Just my $0.02!

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm with this is nascar on this one. I think that would be absolutely horrible for a product to be made, because of the wishes of the public, and then when it is done, no one buys it because it isn't more than they originally asked. If you made the suggestion to Arc, you probably ought to buy one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

d'mo

Enlightened

Y2Kirk1028,

The Arc LS AA has already been made - The original Arc LS came with 1xAA, 2xAA and 1x123 battery packs. This utility made it unique among flashlights. I currently have a modified 1xAA case that will accept 1xAA,AAA or 123 batteries.

If my memory serves, Peter agreed to make the AA only because he got a deal from one of his machine shops and there was sufficient interest.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

d'mo, yes you are right. but there might be sufficent interest in this as well to justify building

d'mo

Enlightened

JonSidneyB,

I'd be in for one too! In fact, I mentioned this several months ago on the 2003 CPF version thread when people were discussing what they wanted to see.

Having built one, I can attest that it's somewhat tricky to get everything to fit into the head properly, so I imagine it would be somewhat expensive. If it's ever to be produced, I'd personally like to see some kind of reflector or lens that would focus the beam a bit. I like the wide beam, it's great for walking around at night. But,in all honesty, the Arc AAA has better throw.

haydoncandlepower

Newly Enlightened

An Arc AA-LSH? Does anyone think Peter will magically be able to sell these for $40 like the limited AA? The same price several people are already griping about?

Someone please tell me how this is radically different from the Arc-LSH that's already available? (Especially when using two AA batteries as someone suggested!)

If you want to burn through a single AAA battery in five minutes driving a LS that's cool - watch the projects in other forums. Several people wanted two things which the AA addresses:
. super cheap and super available cells
. much increased runtime vs the AAA

Thanks to an offer from a machine shop he's been able to fill this request. How it sells will determine whether or not any more are ever made.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about a AAA 1 watt, but I would like a AA 1 watt. It would make for a very nice EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
I agree...
The my Arc AAA's are VERY nice, and have alot of light for thier size,,, BUT...
They really do need to be 1W.
At least the AA should be a 1W.
The only thing different is the AA takes AA's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
It needs to be a good bit brighter, to make it REALLY worth it.... NOT that I'm not glad to see the current AA being made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

newg

Newly Enlightened

I dunno. I would have a hard time spending $70 on a keychain light that is capable of driving an LS at half power for an hour. And d'mo suggests that the normal arc AAA has better throw?

Keychain lights need to be cheaper because they take a lot of abuse that a normal light wouldn't. I'm concerned that we are encouraging Peter down another rathole in pleading for a specialty product that non-flashaholics won't want. I'm not sure that Arc should be spending its limited resources on the complete redesign of the AAA that this would require.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, newg. That's kinda my thoughts too. There's already a 5mm LED light using one AA battery. The good thing ABOUT the Arc AAA is the skinny tube. Who cares if it only last 5 hours or so. Just carry an extra AAA with you! They're not made of gold! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.