"Energizer Lithium" AA flashlight -multi brightness

Siggyhk

Newly Enlightened
I was just given this light as a gift, but don't know much about it.
I know that if I hold the button down, the brightness decreases. It has a nice pocket clip too. Feels pretty solid I awant to like it, but just don't know much about it.

Does anyone have one, or what are the general thooughts on it. What can i expect from output and runtime? any help is appreciated. -Joe

carrot

Flashaholic
Pretty cool yep. From what I've heard around and seen, Energizer has been getting serious about putting out very good, serviceable flashlight products.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm currently carrying this light for use at work. Clip is a bit tight. The rubber near the clip has a tendency to bunch up a bit, and is nearly impossible to lay flat again.

Energizer could pay more attention to the finer details. LED on mine is off-center. I hear that's a common problem. And on this model, it effects the beam pattern. Decent amount of throw for a AA light. No doubt helped by the use of a smooth reflector. But that reflector causes problems. The beam on my sample has a well-defined hotspot, followed by a ring of darkness, followed by useful sidespill. The ring of darkness isn't even. (Caused by off-center LED.)

The switching from high to low and back again works as advertised. But High-mode isn't really bright, compared to other modern AA lights. That rather low High-mode also means that ramping down takes far less time than expected. Honestly, why bother with any setting other than the lowest one along with the highest one? What you get in between those two is not going to be more useful. If the light had a higher setting for High-mode, then things would be different. As it is, the ramping feature feels more like a novelty than something actually useful.

Despite the issues outlined above, I like this light. It can be used as just a single-mode light if desired. Press to switch it on in High-mode. Press again to switch it off. Jet-engine styling looks nice. Light feels truly solid. Very comfortable in the hand. Able to tailstand. The clip is too tight for jeans, but works well in a pair of thinner pants.

This light would be useful for keeping in the glove box of a car, tossing into a BOB as a general-use light, or for those who would find the ramping feature fun to play with. If you need a light with a Low-mode option, there are better choices out there.