Any companies making a light like this?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a Fenix fan for a few years now. My stuff is old skool.
One thing that sticks out to me every winter though is how nice it would be if lights were made with a polymer body like a SF G2.
My current dream light would be having my old and faithful LD1/P2D/P3D, same dimensions, same functions, but not all metal.

Wondering if anyone out there makes something like that? And feel free to add any personal wants about lights along those lines. Would love to hear everyone else's opinions and thoughts.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
no heatsinking,
5 mins on turbo and the led is dead

in lower power already made, imho
Princeton Tech dive light "emergency type" lights, and such

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having a polymer body is not the hard part, the light needs to have the proper heatsinking for the LED hence SF switching to aluminum bezels for the G series.

Also inquired about polymer bodies and was told that companies can in fact make them, but the initial costs (molds, etc) are quite high and they would have to make/sell a lot to recoup their initial investment. Not saying it can't be done, you would have to find a company willing to invest the time and money into it.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
or plasti-dip your current flashlight. :)

this i would of done many times if i could find the damn stuff over here. (its about 10dollars in usa.. to ship it here it jumps to 35$. it seems nice but it isnt THAT nice!)

i have also used heat shrink tubing on my lights. (like itp a3 as it can be used in mouth this way)

preon 2 might end up shrinktubed next winter also.

making a sleeve from something like neoprene is one option too.

zebralight has a 2aa prototype in works that might have a rubber/plastic sleeve.

lolipopo

Newly Enlightened
:huh:Why do you want a polymer body on your light? Is it because it feels warmer or because it's lighter? I personally don't see any advantage in a polymer body unless it makes the light less expensive or it is being used as diving light. Pelican make a lot of plastic shelled lights

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
:huh:Why do you want a polymer body on your light? Is it because it feels warmer or because it's lighter? I personally don't see any advantage in a polymer body unless it makes the light less expensive or it is being used as diving light. Pelican make a lot of plastic shelled lights

Winter time, winter time. Easier to carry without gloves.

Bill

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
As Bill pointed out, wintertime, but also it's a lot nicer to hold with your teeth and I have old Bucklights with teeth rings worn into them from carrying that way while working on trails at night during the winter.

Another benefit is that nothing in your pocket would be damaged by it and scratches in your light wouldn't be even noticeable. I really want a plastic bodied light with side-by-side AAA's.

Rat6P

Enlightened
I used to have a 2AA cree polymer light.
It was made by Gentos or some company in china for Gentos.
Looked similar to a SFG2...........even had the twisty/momentary style tail.
only one mode though.
As far as heat goes..the light had a decent amount of aluminium..it was just covered in some sort of polymer/plastic.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I'll look over some of the lights mentioned.

My main thing is holding a cold light. As I get older the cold seems to affect my hands more. In the winter my hands get cold and stay that way.

I have a G2 with a Deerelight drop in I got years ago, but thats for use at home. Another thing I work security at a place where they want a "soft image".
My P3D is perfect size and shape for holding in my hand when dealing with something indoors without looking out of place. Would look a little odd to me with a G2 in my hand, jmho.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac was supposed to be making a line of polymer bodied flashlights. TP & PP

I don't know if that is to come out before or after the PC series.

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
Webley, I love polymer/rubber lights myself. As Kaichu pointed out, they don't scratch anything, and due to their pliability, they don't tend to get scratched. Living in FL, I've never considered the cold aspect, but I can see that as another advantage to a polymer light.

What do you find substantially different between A G2 and a fenix? I'd think only flashaholics would notice the difference in someone else's hand. If you don't mind Incans, (love 'em, myself) the streamlight scorpion is a great light with a rubber body. The head will even serve as a hand warmer! I think your G2 with a low-power (sub 150 lumen) drop-in (or multi-mode) and a 17670 would be the ideal light for almost every task one could ask of a flashlight. Quite discreet, with it's matte finish.

Good luck on your search, whatever you decide!

Kindle

Enlightened
One thing that sticks out to me every winter though is how nice it would be if lights were made with a polymer body like a SF G2.
My current dream light would be having my old and faithful LD1/P2D/P3D, same dimensions, same functions, but not all metal.

Streamlight PolyTac & Pelican PM6 are both in the G2 class.

Pelican also has a number of other polymer lights in a variety of sizes.