Anyone familiar with the Air Force Mini-Lanturn?

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
Got this issued to me several years ago and wondering if there is anyone who knows whether or not it can be converted to an LED light. It takes 2 AA's. It's typically issued to AF pilots, don't know much else about it since there isn't all that much that turns up using google searches. There's no NSN markings and the only identifying text is:

Mini Lanturn P.N. II 5.7
Just wondering if this thing can be converted, it's a nice little light and would like to put it to better use. Thanks. </I>

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I cannot even guess what this light looks like. Is it a twisty, clicky, and lanturn with a U in it? does it look like this?
tulkaiux1pw8.png

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics would be great so we call all see what you are talking about. also You might need to ask around the custom/modified sections for help.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, its certainly military looking. So its intended as a "low" output light from reading the ad. I would imagine that a simple "mule" P4 or Q3 emitter DD w/ a resistor would get the output low enough and give it good run-time. So,how hard is it to disassemble the light?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
unless it uses a pr base bulb you will have to dissasemble it to use LEDs. It claims to have a lens and bulb removal tool(s) you can buy pr base LED bulbs like one made by dorcy.

JCD

Enlightened
One would have to be careful in their LED selection in order to get good output with the red filter without the unfiltered light being too bright.

DaveG

Enlightened
I had a light some what like that years ago,I think it took a 222 screw in pen light bulb.I think Tektite may make a replacement led for it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I had a light some what like that years ago,I think it took a 222 screw in pen light bulb.I think Tektite may make a replacement led for it.

not worth the money for the output it is just a 5mm LED with a boost circuit at least the one I saw to replace a 222 bulb was.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. They work in most inline flashlights but lanterns can come positive or reverse polarity.