How many LED's where you work?

revbnc

Newly Enlightened
How many LED\'s where you work?

I was sitting here at work tonight and as I was reading through an led spec sheet I looked down and low and behold. There were LED's everywhere. I work in Loss Prevention for a Major Catalogue Distribution Center, Just over a Million sq feet, and we have a control center with camera's, computers, time lapse recorders, fire panels and much more. So I started to count the led's that were in this 14 x 10 room. When finished I counted 289 that I could see. I have recently started working with LED's in mods and now it seems there everywhere. I just never paid attention to how many Led's are used in just about everything. I can now see why, The Led Museum or Graig, can get into these things in the detail he has.

So my question is how many do you have were you work? Just wondering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Tomas

Banned
Re: How many LED\'s where you work?

Heck, here at home, just sitting here typing, there are 63 LEDs at my computer desk, and if I expand that to the room at large, there are 176 LEDs in active equipment. (I probably missed a few.)

There are also three plasma displays, 22 fluroescent lamps, and 2 CRTs visible, and the Indiglo face on this Eddie Bauer watch I'm wearing.

Not all of it dies when the power goes off, either. In that same area there are 24 lithium cells, 6 lead/acid batteries, 28 alkaline cells, and 10 NiMH cells.

Is this ridiculous?

T_sig6.gif
roaring03.gif

BullPar

Newly Enlightened

I work on corporate aircraft. so i see lots of lights. but the one i see the most are the little peanut bulbs. incadesent. literally thousands.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Here at home, I've got so many LEDs around here (around the computer area, specifically) that I couldn't count them all. I'm guessing there are around 1,000 LEDs, give or take, in this area alone. This counts 4 CK C-75 fixtures above a doorway to my immediate left, a Boogie Lights message board right in front of me, a UView light that I just got from USPS while I was typing this post, and at least three 0402 SMD LEDs that were in the same package.

Well, I need to go snipe me a Commodore SX-64 off ebay...so I'd better save this post now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LukeK

Enlightened

1000?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably several thousand where I work. We`re a fire alarm company - fire control panels are festooned with red and yellow LEDs (plus one or 2 greens) and have plenty of them in stock at any given time. Smoke and heat detectors each have one LED. The Japanese ones made by Hochiki have 2! Usually got a few hundred of those in stock plus a big old bucket of old ex-site ones. Then there`s the obsolete, faulty and otherwise in-need-of-attention stockpile of boards and panels. Emergency mains-fail light fixtures each have one or two in them and we stock a load of those too. I`d not be surprised of there were 5-6000 of the little 5mm, rectangulur and SMT diodes in there.

Here at home is a few hundred in component drawers out the front, a bulb-shaped jar with over a hundred old and mildly unusual but otherwise pretty plain ones in front of me, and all those flashlights over by there. 500 in total?

That`s a lot of diodes!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay...three in keyboard, two in mouse, one in monitor, three in camera, ack, stereo...113 in there, and behind me...493...and I ain't doble checking that count.

Giving me a total of about 606 in here.

Plus a 20W 12V halogen desk lamp.
100W 230V halogen ceiling light.
25W compact flourescent.
20W Compact flourescent.
20W Triphosphor slimline linear flourescent.
15W F15/T8 BLB Blacklight flourescent.
2x 8W T5 11" flourescents (with battery backup) (Chris M - Tamlite Eurolux EURO8NM3 and EURO8M3 emergency fixtures...you'll probably know them)
250W SON-T High Pressure Sodium low bay floodlight.
And a multitude of NE2H bulbs in extension cords and my light switch...

And whatever else I missed...already realised that I forgot to count the power indicator LED in the scanner... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thousands and thousands! I work at Cornell University's
positron-electron particle accelerator and the control room
alone must have, I don't know, a thousand LEDs all on its
own, and then there's the computer server rooms and all of
the equipment in the ring and all of the control system
ready chains. I could hardly guess at the number of LEDs
here. "Ubiquitous" springs to mind.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
LukeK said:
1000?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't even count the bags and boxes of them around here, or the parts from The LED Museum...maybe 1,000 or 2,000 more. I only counted the ones that are in something, like the Boogie Light (one of them, not both), the CK C75 fixtures (4 out of 5 of them), and most of the flashlights I have around this particular area. I forgot to count the LEDs on the big pedestrian hand that Lemlux sent. I'm guessing there are 200-300 LEDs on that alone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
And there at least 9 more in the Aiwa CS-600 stereo and 33 more in a proto board that I forgot to add too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Oh, and there are probably 3 or 4 in that Commodore SX-64 I picked up this afternoon.

LukeK

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:

I didn't even count the bags and boxes of them around here, or the parts from The LED Museum...maybe 1,000 or 2,000 more. I only counted the ones that are in something, like the Boogie Light (one of them, not both), the CK C75 fixtures (4 out of 5 of them), and most of the flashlights I have around this particular area. I forgot to count the LEDs on the big pedestrian hand that Lemlux sent. I'm guessing there are 200-300 LEDs on that alone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
And there at least 9 more in the Aiwa CS-600 stereo and 33 more in a proto board that I forgot to add too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Oh, and there are probably 3 or 4 in that Commodore SX-64 I picked up this afternoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a true diode junkie. Around my house I've got....oh probably 50 or 60. To even think that you have 50-60 times more than me just sitting around heh...wow. It's very interesting though how useful the LED is and how common they are. I didn't realize how many I actually had until I started counting. They are found in almost any computer and computer peripheral, along with many other everyday items.

revbnc

Newly Enlightened

Just adding the numbers given I came up with just under 12,000. And that is from only seven different people. Thats a lot of light. I wonder how much light you could generate if you turned them on all at once?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I can't believe we count LED's for fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Here we go....just in my room mind you...

2 in Maha battery charger (2 Multicolor red+green+yellow)
1 in Canon ZR40
3 in Dell axim (Red/Green and IR. 1 on 802.11b card)
1 in monitor (Green/Amber)
5 in phone (Voice Mail, Line 1, 2, Monitor, Speaker)
4 in old computer case
1 in Mac Quadra 610
4 in keyboard
1 in mouse
1 on speakers
4 in computer (1 RGB behind my power light, 1 white. 1 red on mobo. Green on CD-Rom)
1 Luxeon in McLux.
A HA! Most my flashlights are in here too...lets see
1 in Dorcy Cool Blue
4 in LIghtwave 2000
7 in a custom mod
1 Luxeon in Blaster prototype
4 in custom Coleman light
1 on IR keyboard for Axim

That's...46 in my office. In additoin to overhaead flouressent and 2 Lava lamps. At school a run a 32 channel Mackie sound board with (Haven't seen it in months) I think 3 LEDs per channel and then some meter LEDs and some others. Off the top of my head I'd estimate it has about 130 LEDs.

If you count all the pixels on the OLED display on my Kodak digital camera...Just kidding, but I wish I had that Kodak camera with an OLED display.

OOh! My toaster has 10 LEDs, how about yours?

revbnc

Newly Enlightened

My toaster has 2. One for each slot.

Must be a bright toaster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tomas

Banned

Heheheheh ... My toaster has 2 LEDs, Saaby, but it lives in the kitchen, not in here where the 'puter lives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hmmmmmmm ... Just realized I didn't count the 8 LEDs in my digital camera in my previous count, and it's right here on the desk. Hmmmmm ... Should I toss in the xenon flash tube, to?

Oh! I forgot the Arc AAA on a lanyard 'round my neck!

Arrrrrgh! Too many lights!
roaring03.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Every time I turn around, there are more LEDs that I didn't count. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Like several strings of Forever Bright Christmas lights above my computer installation, three LEDs in my DVD player, a pair of Litecubes in purple and pink, 20 NUV LEDs in an InReTech "bulb" I have on top of my monitor, who knows how many LEDs in my laboratory equipment, 4 LEDs in my computer speakers, 7 LEDs in the Lunar Accents stuff I ought to get reviewed, several LEDs in a box of bulbs I got from Kentucky, and at least 87 LEDs in a backlighted computer keyboard.

I'm sure I'll find more, but I'd better get this post saved before the mouse poops out again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Foreverbrights! I knew I forgot something. There are, if I calculated it right, 1715 Foreverbright LEDs here. Plus the spare LEDs that each set came with. 200 of them (the first-gen clear yellow ones) are hung up in here and lit all year round.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Ahh, my Rascal motorised chair...forgot that too.
If I remember, there are 130-140 LEDs in it. And I can reach out and touch it right from my laboratory area without getting out of my office chair, so I'm pretty sure it counts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So add those LEDs to the thousands I already have posted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(Edit, a minute or two after posting) Chris, I have a string of "Antique Candlelight" (yellow) Foreverbrights in the other room, but they went out a few weeks back. I don't know where I put the Christmas light tester (the kind you pass over each bulb socket) but I guess I'll need that now to find the bad LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

d'mo

Enlightened

Thousands. Literally, There are 70 on my telephone alone (lots of functions). Just a cusrory glace around my cube would probably yield 1200 or so. Lots of indicators on motion control equipment.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

I work as a network administrator on good sized network and the new "blade servers" that we have stacked several racks high are absolutely covered with LED's.. Lately blue LED's are all the rage on newer equipment that is coming in.

revbnc

Newly Enlightened

D'MO,

I forgot our phone until you mentioned it. The count 119, then I looked down and low and behold there is one each on our two chargers for our Streamlight Poly-Stringers.

Thats and addition 121.

TOO, MANY TO COUNT????

Do you like your foreverbrights. I am thinking abou them for the tree this year. My buddy at ACE Hardware says their getting them in.