Can programmed lights be current modded?

matt304

Newly Enlightened
If a light is programmed from the factory, such as clicks for low, med, and high, can anything be changed to increase the drive current?

I'm wondering if my Lumapower Mini-d VX Ultra can be modded with more drive current. It has an SST-50, and I would like to bump the power by about 30% if possible.

matt304

Newly Enlightened
Ok, what about simply putting a new driver in to power the sst-50 with more amperage. What kind of driver should I purchase to drive this LED?

I've never had to buy an LED driver so I'm not sure what brand would be a good choice. If anyone could give a quick suggestion it would bemuch appreciated. Thanks

matt304

Newly Enlightened
Depending upon your space constraints for the driver, you may be able to use this driver with 2 IMR16340 cells. Of course, this will require the use of the 18650 battery tube and will only provide one level: bright!

Since I planned on mounting this as a bike light, would I be better off finding a driver which will work with the larger mAH 18650 batt? Or, is it better to use the higher voltage of two 16340 cells to push the SST-50?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I planned on mounting this as a bike light, would I be better off finding a driver which will work with the larger mAH 18650 batt? Or, is it better to use the higher voltage of two 16340 cells to push the SST-50?

For a bike light I'd recommend a driver that you can adjust the output - especially if you need any kind of runtime AND don't plan on having stupid bright all the time. Single level output drivers are great for showing off, but not too useful in the real world, at least imho...

The h6cc can have an external POT or a switch with a couple of resistors to give you a few output levels. You can find info on the h6cc in my signature.

In a month or so there'll be a h6flex driver, basically a h6cc with uController with all the features of my other flex drivers including bike UI etc.

cheers,
george.

matt304

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, George.

Thanks a lot for helping out. I am going to check that out.

Latest posts