Replace Streamlight Stinger

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little help, please, folks. This is outsisde the type of light I have expereince in, but....

So, a few years ago, I got my mom a stinger recahrgeable for walking at night. It died, and my tinkering was insufficient to bring it back to life.

I need:
1) MUST MUST be able to be left in its recharging cradle in the house. No battereis to change, no nothing. WHole light in the cradle, and can be left there for extended times (somtimes weeks). Any light that does not have this WILL NOT/CAN NOT BE CONSIDERED.
2) Bright as possible. Minimum 200ish lumens.
3) Super simple UI is a necessity, one stage is actually prefered.
4) Not too giagantic(no lanterns, etc), maybe Mag3D is upper limit.
5) Runtime not too important, but at least 45 mintues on MAX.

Price is not a concern.

OK, CPF....what do we think? I was thinking maybe magcharger with terralux 600 lumen dropin. Size is on outer limit, brightness and runtime are good, as is the UI, and I know you can leave it in the charger for months, and it'll be ready when you are. Other thoughts?

THANKS!!

Grady

Newly Enlightened
Why not just send the light back to streamlight. I had a stinger that went south on me, it was approximatly 7 years old. Send it back to Streamlight they fixed it at no charge and shipped it back within a week and a half.
Or maybe try a stinger LED?

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Because I've fiddled with it and likely voided any chance tof them fixing it for us.
2) Because it's an opportunity to find and buy a newer, brighter light to play with at my Mom's place, and not feel guilty when my wife asks why I "need" another light.
3) because I'm dumb and didn't think of it.

Pick any three.

Thanks for the good idea and suggestion, though!

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Stinger HP DS led. Should use the same charger, 200 lumens on high. Check out the the spec's on Streamlight's website.

Rocketman

Enlightened
The new Streamlight Strion LED. It uses a lithium rechargeable, it's like a Stinger only smaller, uses a charging station, sounds like what you want. It's smaller, comes on in high, the medium and low need not be accessed.

The magcharger would be cool though. I would think the Strion LED or even the new Polystinger LED would be nicer though. I use my Polystinger LED every day at work in my prison. Do NOT get the fast charge model, get the normal, slow charger model. I've had two Stingers break on me, they both used the fast charger, I believe the circuit overheats and goes bad. But the regular charger model is great, I recommend it. I have both the Strion LED and the Polystinger LED, I like them both. The Strion LED is rated at 160 lumens, the Polystinger LED at 185 lumens. They both would be bright enough.

Like the guy above said, the new Stinger HP LED is rated at 200 lumens. It has a larger head though.

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Rocketman. I say at least 200 because the path my mom walks goes from somewhated lighted, with dark spots to quite dark and out of the lights. In those "in between" areas, it does take quite a bit of light to let her see around her. On top of that, she likes to be able to scan tree line that is quite far off for any eyes that might see a dog as a snack or a fight.

I like the magcharger for everything but size. the streamlight is looking like a real possibility to just upgrade.

Surprised there aren't more choices...seems like a natural kinda utility light.

County

Newly Enlightened
I'd go with the Polystinger LED or the Stinger LED HP if she doesn't mind the light being a little bigger . . buy the light-only and save a few $$. These lights will use the same charger your mom already has. They both throw quite well, and far out-throw the original incan Stinger. My personal preference is the Polystinger LED due to its size and being lightweight.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can go up to the 3D size, another suggestion is the streamlight sl-20x-led. The main beam is about 200 lumens incan and the secondary beam is made of 3 leds for shorter range use / low power. Each beam has its own switch, so its super simple.

I think it is a different charger than the stinger, but the concept is the same.

I had a chance to test it out on the BigC light sphere at the local cpf meet this past weekend, and it came in at 185 OTF lumens - very close to the rated 200 lumens. It is not quite the thrower that the stinger is - about 25k lux vs 50k+ of the stinger, but the spill is a bit more useful.

It is a bit large, but it is definitely our household "go to" light, in spite of other lights available in the house. I got mine for around $90.

GadgetProne

Newly Enlightened
Just hitting the street is the new Strion LED HP http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-strion-led-hp-high-performance-rechargeable-flashlight.html

opplanet-streamlight-strion-led-hp-light.png