R2H on 2AA? Body, Optic and Driver Recs?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I've got an R2H 1W coming in and I would like a slim 2AA body to host. The minimag is ok but I like the lockout clickie of the Legend. I've got NX-05 optics but the new Fraen seems to be more focused but harder to get a hold of. Some recommend the BB500 as driver...would that be a good balance of runtime and brightness? Is 500mA sufficient?

Any ideas or recommendations?

Wilkey

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im currently running a 1 watt R2H with BB500 and its mighty impressive. Im planning to upgrade this to a BB750 within the next week or so. Im confident that the 1 watt LS will handle this amount (purely because McGizmo is offering this very same combo on a PM6 McModule).
I think the limiting factor will be the host you eventually decide to go with, and how much heatsinking it provides for the convertor/LS.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kakster,

What body do you have the R2H in? Did you pot the BB500?

Wilkey

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have it in a 1x123 McLux. The board was just covered in generic goo-glue. I just potted a BB750 with arctic alumina, but wont be able to report back on that for a while cos a solder join touched the body of the bezel and fried the board real good (BOY does it stink).
As to optic choice, im using the NX05, great throw, but annoying artifacts. I have a LDF lens on its way from flashlightlens.com, ill post a report back on this thread when ive had a bit of time to compare.
As far as i can tell, its not nessecary to pot the BB500 in thermal epoxy, but for a more definitive answer, id ask on the sandwiche shoppe forum.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng,
The Brinkmann 2AA has better heatsinking than a Minimag, I have both and find that the Brinkmann is cooler with the BB400Q. My R2H/BB500 will be making a home in a Nexstar 2C with the Elektrolumens 30mm optics. Just waiting on the package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bent,

I think I'll stick with a Legend then. Did you have to use an additional heatsink besides the star itself?

Wilkey

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng,
I use the BB400 pill that has the Luxeon mounted on the board (not on metal) the board heats up and transfers to the board that transfers to the body. It actually works quite well (the board is potted in epoxy) To make a sink, you will have to make a pad for the + and electrically isolate it with epoxy to the heatsink. You can use a wire to run from the pad to the Luxeon. I am not even sure if you can fit the star inside the 2AA tube. Might need a little grinding or something.
I use the Brinkmann BB400Q on my bicycle helmet for lighting, my wife uses the BB400Q in a minimag for her front headlight. I find the Brinkmann runs cooler VS the minimag in that situation.

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened
I have read somewhere that a better heatsink will conduct heat better. If this is the case, then the host will feel hotter.

So it follows that the Legend, since it is running cooler, is not better than a minimag.

I hope I am wrong....

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, just finished messing around with the B270 with LDF, and it does do an excellent job of cleaning up the artifacts. The beam is now a nice even hotspot gradually evening out to the corona.
BUT
the beams punch and throw has been reduced by quite a bit (not unexpected). Next step is to hook up the R2H to a BB750 to try and get some of that punch back.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
rajan,
The pills just slide into the Brink and Mag, the Brink has thicker side walls than the mag and cools the LED better. I should get my thermometer out and see what the temps on both are and post them. The Brink is heavier than the mag and that will help with cooling.