Surefire Stratum, Is It Good?

Rocketman

Enlightened
Ok so, there is a review thread on the new Surefire Stratum but I'm wanting to see more thoughts on this new light. Is the regulation good? Does the reflector do a good job? Is this the new duty light to have? No one is saying much.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanna try a stratum... so many on the to buy list at the moment though.

If I do get one, I will be sure to let you know what I think Rocketman :)

Rocketman

Enlightened
I wanna try a stratum... so many on the to buy list at the moment though.

If I do get one, I will be sure to let you know what I think Rocketman :)

Thanks, mate. It looks like the perfect light for general use and backup duty light. It's a lot of money for me, though. I just want some more assurance from everyday folk.

And yes, I'm saving for it.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
PROS:
--Size equal to a 6P, so all the 6P related gear is compatible (i.e. cases, etc)
--Quality: Superb. The black ano. is even, the seams are tight
--Tailswitch has good resistance and definition between output levels
--Body design: scallops don't interfere with grip, and are not sharp.

CONS:
--I'm not a huge fan of multi-modes for LEO work. This isn't a "duty" or "Tactical" light. I'm not sure what market SF is pursuing. Possibly the general outdoor market?
--Emitter: It uses a K2 Flipchip. For a supposed discontinued LED, it sure seems to have made a resurgence: the A2Z, Z2-S all use it (as does the new Inforce 9VX). I bet the new SF KX4 also uses it. Makes me wonder what SF knows about the CPF latest and greatest, and why is SF using a "Discontinued" emitter?

Recommended? Yes, as a general purpose light, NOT as any type of LEO light.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Quickly, re BW, multilevel lights are good for LEOs if you don't want to be blinded by a one-level light during a quick close up check, map maybe. And preseves general night vision better during long incident. I would not dismiss that feature.

+ ... SF = bet your life on it.

DLF

Newly Enlightened
Makes me wonder what SF knows about the CPF latest and greatest, and why is SF using a "Discontinued" emitter?
Can you say, "They're cheaper"?

carrot

Flashaholic
Can you say, "They're cheaper"?
More like, SF bought a bajillion when they were brand new and now have to use them.

Just like all the MC-E's.

Bet they wish they'd picked up SST-50s and SST-90s instead.

Doesn't matter though, nobody buys Surefires for the latest and greatest, they buy them for the rock solid reputation and the no-nonsense illumination tools they are known for.

dcycleman

Enlightened
they should have made it so that if you turned the bezel the modes went low to high, and if you tighten the bezel the modes went from high to low.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I'm frustrated that we don't see makers give us an option from easily presetting high to low or low to high. This feature should be the most important feature in multi-level lights. Imagine having LX1 and E1B all in one light with such a feature.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm frustrated that we don't see makers give us an option from easily presetting high to low or low to high. This feature should be the most important feature in multi-level lights. Imagine having LX1 and E1B all in one light with such a feature.
I can see the value in being able to select which order the two levels activate on SureFire's dual-output clickie models (E1B, E2L, E2DL etc). But then whether it's a high-low or a low-high model I regularly find myself with the 'wrong' level come on first! So perhaps it wouldn't make that much of a difference for my uses?

On the other hand the two-stage push button pressure switch is simple, intuitive and effective. I decide which level of output I want and I don't have to waste time getting it. I don't see any benefit of the two-stage push button pressure switch activating the light high-low.

Al

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I can see the value in being able to select which order the two levels activate on SureFire's dual-output clickie models (E1B, E2L, E2DL etc). But then whether it's a high-low or a low-high model I regularly find myself with the 'wrong' level come on first! So perhaps it wouldn't make that much of a difference for my uses?
Al

If there is a selector (ring perhaps) that controls the order of which mode comes on, and there is no memory, then there should be no accidental level problem. select the order and only high comes on. When the light is on, click the 2 stage button for low. From off, only the high turns on first again. If you want the low to always come on from the off position, you'll have to switch the orders of modes from a dedicated ring/button.