Jet Beam RRT-3 ideal for long expeditions?

DarkoMaledictus

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I just discovered this wonderful site and started my first thread. I tried to gather as much information as I could, but I'm still undecided on what new high powered flashlight led to buy.

Here are my needs:

-Extremely rugged (military rugged for sand, dirt, scratch etc)
-Sapphire lens or equivalent
-Waterproof (dive ready even better)
-High lumens outputs for emergency situations (1200+)
-High thrower with good spill for proper viewing field in the forest.
-Good selectable power levels for low level stuff as well as search and rescue related things.
-Proper weight so it doesn't feel like carrying a tank and its easy to carry on long treks.
-Good battery power, battery based no packs as its too difficult to carry multiple pack handles (looking at you sst-90).
-Rechargeable battery ready (18650 seem to be perfect)
-Extra modes like sos and strobe would be good.

So that's it in a nutshell. I was looking at the Jet Beam RRT-3 and was wondering if there are other contenders or even better led flashlights available with these specs. Was looking at the Olight SR90 SST-90 but after seeing the size compared to lights like the M1X from Jet Beam I decided against it. Same thing for the Wiseled model, the battery pack is a turn off and eventually might become a problem if the company goes under. Also was thinking of getting a RA clicky, but I need something with a higher lumens output for emergencies first. For the time being, for lower lumens tasks my Letherman S3 can do that job even if its far from the superior quality build of a RA.

Any information would be appreciated thanks!

p.s: This site was very helpful on finding information about various beams and illumination, sadly no Jet Beams available to compare.
http://fonarevka.ru/

Last edited:

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
I just received my RRT-3 today.

This is my first jetbeam light (Surefire user), I am impressed with the quality and overall presentation. The output levels suits me nicely, so far I am pretty happy.

Since I don't know when I will get my custom milky KT4. I am going to take this out on a trip this month, I plan on using the crap out of it!

I will let you know what I find ;)

DarkoMaledictus

Newly Enlightened
I just received my RRT-3 today.

This is my first jetbeam light (Surefire user), I am impressed with the quality and overall presentation. The output levels suits me nicely, so far I am pretty happy.

Since I don't know when I will get my custom milky KT4. I am going to take this out on a trip this month, I plan on using the crap out of it!

I will let you know what I find ;)

Thanks for the feedback :)! I think I'm confirming my order to buggearusa right now =)!

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi DarkoMaledictus.

I have the RRT-3 and it is a fantastic torch, but I'm wondering what you will be using it for? The reason I ask is that if it is going to be involved in scenario's involving dirt, sand, ..., then I'd be a little concerned with sand getting into the selector ring. Other than that, it's an awesome light. I've had it out and about and it just lights up everything around me and a good 50 meters in front of me.

If I was going into some adverse scenario's, then I would be looking for a torch with as little moving parts (ie: selector rings) as possible, and as sealed as possible.

If you are OK with the size of the RRT-3, then I'd also consider the TK40, or one of the Eagletac M2 series torches. All have great spill, good throw and are as touch as nails.

If you wanted something a little smaller but still bright, the Eagletac T20C2 Mk II is a great torch, or maybe get your hands onto one of the MG PLI torches from www.shiningbeam.com. These are an absolutely fantastic little torch, 700+ lumens, and they have just been released with an SST-50 emitter. But if you want the MG PLI, I would order it as fast as possible as they seem to disappear quicker than a beer in an outback pub!

Hope this helps.

DarkoMaledictus

Newly Enlightened
Hi DarkoMaledictus.

I have the RRT-3 and it is a fantastic torch, but I'm wondering what you will be using it for? The reason I ask is that if it is going to be involved in scenario's involving dirt, sand, ..., then I'd be a little concerned with sand getting into the selector ring. Other than that, it's an awesome light. I've had it out and about and it just lights up everything around me and a good 50 meters in front of me.

If I was going into some adverse scenario's, then I would be looking for a torch with as little moving parts (ie: selector rings) as possible, and as sealed as possible.

If you are OK with the size of the RRT-3, then I'd also consider the TK40, or one of the Eagletac M2 series torches. All have great spill, good throw and are as touch as nails.

If you wanted something a little smaller but still bright, the Eagletac T20C2 Mk II is a great torch, or maybe get your hands onto one of the MG PLI torches from www.shiningbeam.com. These are an absolutely fantastic little torch, 700+ lumens, and they have just been released with an SST-50 emitter. But if you want the MG PLI, I would order it as fast as possible as they seem to disappear quicker than a beer in an outback pub!

Hope this helps.

Hmm you are absolutely right... didn't think about sand and the selector ring. This is really making me rethink my choice all over again! Thanks for the feedback... time to put that thinking cap again :(.

Wonder why they are marketing it as a .50 caliber tactical light if sand can be an issue... Some soldiers will not be happy with this! Not a good scenario finding out the selector ring is stuck and renders the light obsolete in the battlefield...

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have had the RRT-3 for some time, it is a good thrower, but I think it is a bit fat around the body (for my hands) and it is also rather heavy.
I have been doing some measurements on it and also some beam shots. I will publish a review soon.
One interesting detail I found: The light has a temperature sensor and will shut down if it gets hot.

DarkoMaledictus

Newly Enlightened
I have had the RRT-3 for some time, it is a good thrower, but I think it is a bit fat around the body (for my hands) and it is also rather heavy.
I have been doing some measurements on it and also some beam shots. I will publish a review soon.
One interesting detail I found: The light has a temperature sensor and will shut down if it gets hot.

Another interesting fact... so I guess this is not made for the battlefield. Lol imagine having the light shutdown in a hairy situation! Thanks for the feedback, very appreciated!

Order was cancelled, now back on the hunt! Thanks again for all your feedback guys!

Would be nice if there was a larger RA clicky with high lumens output and extra battery space! I would be all over it :)!

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of your requirements is super bright output... 1200+ lumens. Do you think you'll actually need that much light? Is this going to be a personal light, or a more team oriented, multi-person searchlight?

What type of expedition? Where are you going? I'm assuming you'll be out in the "wilds" as it were, thus the need for illumination equipment...

You mention Ra Lights. The Clicky has an option for a 17670 battery compartment, whcih will substantially increase run time (more than double it on max.). The 170 narrow has a burst mode of 170 lumens, which drops to (I think) 140 lumens, taking advantage of the eyes logarithmic perception of light to extend runtimes. Basically, it puts ot 170 lumens for ten seconds, then drops in output slightly , in a very slightly noticeable way. The Ra lights can also be re-programmed to meet your lighting needs, but, again, don't do super-bright outputs.
The Twisty has the option for an 18650 battery tube, and three individually programmable modes.

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
I have the rrt-3 and personally I don't use it as much as I thought I would. The size of it is the factor for me. I would think the selector ring would cause problems in the sand and mud. Check out the thrunite catapult. The hotspot is actually brighter than the rrt-3 but it has less flood. It's a very solid light. When it comes down to it I always use the catapult over the rrt-3 and it's cheaper too. It doesn't have all the junk like sos or strobe but I don't find any of that useful to me personally. It has two setting 1000 lumen and 250 lumen.