Peak Eiger: Ordered!

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
See new post (#3) below.

Hi. I'm thinking about picking up an Eiger #5 or #6 medium. I've seen some beam shots that make me think there's very little spill on these. Anyone able to describe the beam? I have or have had Novatac, Ra, photon micolights, quark minis, nitecore smart PDs. I realize the Peak will not be as bright, I'm just looking for beam characteristics. I want to use this as a low profile EDC, it doesn't need a lot of throw and it doesn't need to be super bright, but a decent sidespill is a must.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Re: Peak Eiger Beam?

Hi. I'm thinking about picking up an Eiger #5 or #6 medium. I've seen some beam shots that make me think there's very little spill on these. Anyone able to describe the beam? I have or have had Novatac, Ra, photon micolights, quark minis, nitecore smart PDs. I realize the Peak will not be as bright, I'm just looking for beam characteristics. I want to use this as a low profile EDC, it doesn't need a lot of throw and it doesn't need to be super bright, but a decent sidespill is a must.

Thoughts?

The medium beam Eiger is my favorite for beam profile for indoor use because of the spread of light.
If you post the question in the Peak section (or look through for more Eiger info), there may be a lot more opinions: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=64

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just placed my order for a Peak Eiger with Medium, Cool LED and an HA keychain body with momentary button.

Now the wait begins! This will be my first Peak.

Next up will be an HDS High CRI Executive in Fall, so the Peak will be my summertime EDC.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Well, I just placed my order for a Peak Eiger with Medium, Cool LED and an HA keychain body with momentary button.

Next up will be an HDS High CRI Executive in Fall, so the Peak will be my summertime EDC.

You found my two favorites: Peak and HDS! Both are excellent and addictive. You may want to check out the Stainless and Brass Peaks - they are REALLY nice if you are not super concerned about low weight :)

wreckless1

Newly Enlightened

ouch ...two lights i want badly ...You guys are ruining my desire for budget lights and all the fun and frustration of first playing with the cheap stuff.

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
You found my two favorites: Peak and HDS! Both are excellent and addictive. You may want to check out the Stainless and Brass Peaks - they are REALLY nice if you are not super concerned about low weight :)

I've been through a few HDS/Novatac/Ra lights... I'm always finding them to be too big for EDC in my work slacks. I don't like a lot of bulk shifting around in the pants of my Dockers. I figure the Eiger will be small enough for daily loose-pocket carry.

I did look at the Brass and Stainless models. I'm not a fan of the color of brass, and the stainless didn't offer knurling, so I went to the HA. Like I told Curt (at Peak), I'm sure this will just be my first Peak. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to get my High CRI HDS with new clip for the fall/winter months...

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
ouch ...two lights i want badly ...You guys are ruining my desire for budget lights and all the fun and frustration of first playing with the cheap stuff.

:welcome:

You should pass on the cheap stuff! My first flashlight that I didn't get at Target was an HDS Basic 42 back in 2004/2005. I've gone through a few HDS lights since then; upgrading when new ones come out and gifting or selling the older ones...

So far my favorite brands have been HDS/RA, ARC (sadly, not so much anymore) and 4Sevens/Fenix. 4Sevens is a good inexpensive place to start; however, my Peak was only $55 shipped so pretty comparable with 4Sevens. The difference is you get a lot of customizable modes on a 4Sevens but there's just one level on Peaks (for now, level adjustments are coming).

I also have a couple of Surefires around, always a good brand. In my opinion they're a bit pricey for casual EDC.

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with the Eiger.

I tried to make the Peaks work for me but in the end gave up. A combination of difficult websites, unresponsive (to email queries) staff, and hard to assess product did not help.

Also, certain information holes could not be filled.

E.g., if you wanted the Eiger in Titanium, you'd find you could not in fact key chain it! A big defect for a "keychain" light. Since you couldn't get the lug attachment in titanium and the websites would not tell you whether you could substitute another lug attachment material successfully.

I tried to give the Peaks more than a fair shot, including building an elaborate spreadsheet to track the brightness/runtime information thrown about here and there in the websites, and adding conversion factors to project higher power and to convert the foot candelas to something more meaningful. I tried to analyze the data to understand runtimes better (since the data Peak gives you is in a rather hard to use form). Etc., etc.

When you think about the materials that Peak provides, it turns out titanium is problematic (only available for the Eiger, without a lug attachment). Getting the 2xAAA (or 2xAA for the El Capitan model) battery tubes, obviously very important for a light that is not electrically regulated, is not possible for many types of metal offerings. Again, the websites are not helpful to explain what is going on here -- is it the case that all materials will get the 2x battery tubes, or not?

The Aluminium (HA) model is pretty ugly, and the SS and brass models are too heavy (and I wonder how heavy in the 2x battery versions!). I checked the tensile strength properties of the various metals and brass does rather badly actually. So if you buy the "prettiest" material (clearly, brass) you then get something quite a bit weaker than you are used to in terms of strength.

Then the lack of electrical regulation is an issue, these lights are direct drive but after you follow the specs (the spreadsheet I mentioned above, with plenty of time consuming data entry and analysis) it is not obvious that you get higher efficiency relative to the regulated competitor models (like you should).

In the end, you can get a simple regulated 1xAAA or 1xAA light that can do more than the Peaks can.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Oh you've been beaten to the Peak website complaining game by a few hundred CPF'ers. Anyway I'll repeat the usual advice.
If you really want to try a Peak light you need to call them and tell them what you're after so they can deliver, or at least answer your questions. Nothing else works.

Happily the OP has already managed to figure it out and will be trying one of the Peak products himself. :thumbsup:

carrot

Flashaholic
Peak really does need to fix their website, but thanks to the plethora of information on CPF you can still figure out exactly what you want.

Despite that I think I've caught the Peak bug! I picked up an El Capitan at SHOT Show and I cannot stop thinking about the Eiger in stainless. I'm liking the sound of adding a #4 wide 10440 to my stable of lights...

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh you've been beaten to the Peak website complaining game by a few hundred CPF'ers. Anyway I'll repeat the usual advice.
If you really want to try a Peak light you need to call them and tell them what you're after so they can deliver, or at least answer your questions. Nothing else works.

I've seen all the complaints, and their large number does not mean that I should not add my own experience. On the contrary, it should mean something that so many have complained.

I think that I have spent quite a bit of time researching and finding out what is missing, and those other complainers have not already exhausted the points I made to make my own post uninteresting.

In any case, if you know the answers to the questions I list in my post, why don't you post them? Since you have had the pleasure of talking to the sellers over the phone?

recDNA

Flashaholic

I keep waiting for Peak to make a 2 X CR123 or 1 X 18650 sized light in brass. I know you can buy an extender to get 18500 in there but I don't like the looks of the Peak with an extender ($$$) and it is the looks of it that attract me most. I like brass.

I know it would be heavy but I like to display a flashlight in every room of the house to be used in that room in the event of some need for it. I wonder if you could guess which rooms the flashlight gets the most use? Believe it or not it's the bathrooms. Between searching for things in the medicine cabinet or towel closet or under the sink or examining some blemish we use them all the time...and no not for anything weird.

So our room flashlights are not just shelf queens - they are used - but I do like the indoor flashlights to be nice looking.

Last edited:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi all!

Thought I would add my contribution to this thread.

The website is relative to what your expectations are, so I adjust my expectations and now all is fine. I have the Peak Eiger 10180, 10280 and 10440 in different finishes and power levels and never had an issue with ordering.

I simply place my order, I get a confirmation email, I put it out of my mind, I wait about 4 weeks and presto! I get a shiny little bugger in the mailbox!.

These are great torches, worth the wait, except for the 10180 on power level 8. Runtime is CR.P!, but the 5 minutes you get at full blast has a real WOW factor!!! This one is simply my WOW torch and not really an EDC, the rest are more practical for EDC's.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak really does need to fix their website, but thanks to the plethora of information on CPF you can still figure out exactly what you want.

Despite that I think I've caught the Peak bug! I picked up an El Capitan at SHOT Show and I cannot stop thinking about the Eiger in stainless. I'm liking the sound of adding a #4 wide 10440 to my stable of lights...

If only CPF had a better search feature

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
No your post isn't uninteresting and certainly adding your woes about the website is your right and it adds to the collective that hopes it'll improve.
ElectronGuru is about to start listing up Peak lights on his website and sell them so this will all be much easier shortly. :thumbsup: Thank goodness!

Anyway I've had the pleasure of talking to them at least twice, that I can recall anyway. Both times I got a hold of someone who knew their lights very well and were easy to talk to. I wish I could answer your questions for you but when I called I just asked for info on what I wanted to buy. You really should call and shoot the breeze with them.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic