Dual purpose light

prof student

Enlightened
I work at a fine dinning restaurant, so it can be pretty dark in there.

I am looking for a flashlight to light up guest's steaks as the cut into them to ensure it was cooked to their preference. Pretty much everyone carries a AA Maglight on them for this.

Seeing how their output tends to drop rather quick, I am looking for a light that is regulated. Ideally, incand (if such exist) so the color rendition is true, unless the proffesionals here (with certainty) can say that the warm LED are so close to the color rendition of incand.

And for personal use (would most likely use it as my EDC), a high & low would be good.

So, bascially, one that on low is like a mini maglight, but regulated. Prefer with a high. LED may be a possible choice, IF the color rendition is as good as incand (crucial so the color of the steak is true & not off).

Thanks for your help.

ASheep

Enlightened
Depending on your budget, the HDS RA clicky or twisty with a high CRI LED would do well, they have fully programmable brightness, from moonlight to eye sizzling :twothumbs
They are also nicely sized for EDC, and have brilliant battery life, 1.25 hours on high according to their site.
http://www.ralights.com/?id=ClickyHighCri
Hope this helps,

Alex

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
SureFire A2 or HDS Ra Clicky/Ra Twisty 100 high CRI immediately come to mind.

The A2 is a regulated incandescent with an LED low mode. As an incandescent, it will render colors best. It is the larger of the two lights.

The Ra is (available with) a high CRI LED. It should render colors very well for an LED. It is smaller, and has much more versatility with respect to output level.

The A2 has a higher list price, but can often be found new in package on the secondary market for about half price, making it less expensive. The Ra is found new in package less often on the secondary market, so fewer price breaks are available new. Both lights tend to be very highly regarded by owners (and many non-owners).

Also, as you read over recommendations, remember that a warm color tint LED does not imply a high CRI LED. For accurate color rendition from an LED, you'll need a high CRI LED. Most high CRI LED's happen to also be warm tinted LED's, hence the common confusion.

Last edited:

jkilo

Newly Enlightened
Regulated Incan = A2. But, as nice as it is, it's incan is WAY TOO BRIGHT for this application. Your customers will not be pleased.

The high CRI RA is probably the way to go here (why don't I have one of these yet?), although even something with a warm tint and CRI of 70+ would probably work just fine. Like a warm or neutral preon II. Nice and discreet, and very professional. Or a little incan like the surefire E1E.

This might be an application where an incan mini-mag is still applicable!

(with some energizer lithiums and a krypton lamp, of course)

jslappa

Enlightened
Here's another vote for the HI Cri RA Clicky. I say clicky, because it's great for one-handed operation. The output is middle-of-the-road, but it's going to beat the mag lite out when you switch to EDC use after work.

Whatever you choose, remember that a warm tint is not the same as High Color Rendition (Hi Cri).

The Ra light is fully regulated, and gives you 100, 35, 12 and 0.3 lumens. Some may question this choice because of the relatively expensive and obscure 123 battery, but at about $1 each online, it is a viable option for work and EDC, IMHO.

Let use know what you choose!

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
easy, quark aa^2 tactical warm white is just a hair smaller than a minimag, or quark mini aa warm white for something even smaller

however, I find neutral tint renders colors closer to daylight, even if it's not as close to an incan

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Surefire E1e or E2e with the low output MN02 (25 lumen) lamp assembly.
They are not regulated but hold there output fairly well till the battery is about done. The only regulated incandescent I know of is the Surefire A2 which is probably way too bright for checking a steak. The 25 lumen MN02 may well be too bright.

kito109654

Newly Enlightened
The only incan dim enough for the task is a mag! That is hilarious to me. The highest CRI LED is the HDS RA high CRI, as has been mentioned. It sounds like the perfect light for your application and as an EDC for you when not working. Run an RCR in it (I think you can) and play with it as much as you like every day. :)

ETA: May I ask what restuarant? Last time I was at a Ruth's Chris this was done for me. :)

Last edited:

8Fishes

Newly Enlightened
AKAIK, I recall the 4seven preon 2 WW would really fit the bill except that it doesn't have current regulation but just voltage regulation.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Here I go again. Check out the LiteFlux LF2XT. Program it to exactly the levels needed. Easy magnetic clickie switch. Pocket clip. And a bunch of other features. It's been my EDC for about a year.

Geoff

carrot

Flashaholic
Surefire E1e or E2e with the low output MN02 (25 lumen) lamp assembly.
They are not regulated but hold there output fairly well till the battery is about done. The only regulated incandescent I know of is the Surefire A2 which is probably way too bright for checking a steak. The 25 lumen MN02 may well be too bright.
This or the Surefire A2.

Do not be fooled. Warm tints do not equal high CRI. A good incan still offers better color rendering.

kito109654

Newly Enlightened
This or the Surefire A2.

Do not be fooled. Warm tints do not equal high CRI. A good incan still offers better color rendering.

Did you miss the application? Color rendering is useless if one is blinded.

93 is the highest posted CRI # available for an LED that I know of. Output is going to take precedence because if the output isn't right then the question is moot.

Although if 93 wont cut it, the mini/micro mag will have to do becuase it is the only incan around with a low enough output.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely agree with carrot above, but I still think the low output MN02 lamp would be too bright for a dim dining room situation. My choice would be the High CRI RA Clicky. You can customize your output level to be bright enough to check the steaks, but not too bright. The color rendition should be acceptable too. My .02c. :thumbsup:

prof student

Enlightened
Regulated Incan = A2. But, as nice as it is, it's incan is WAY TOO BRIGHT for this application. Your customers will not be pleased.

The high CRI RA is probably the way to go here (why don't I have one of these yet?), although even something with a warm tint and CRI of 70+ would probably work just fine. Like a warm or neutral preon II. Nice and discreet, and very professional. Or a little incan like the surefire E1E.

This might be an application where an incan mini-mag is still applicable!

(with some energizer lithiums and a krypton lamp, of course)

Yes, that is my concern. Some of the lights I have been seeing, would be too bright in this kind of setting. How bright is the Ra on at a low setting? (assuming there is more than 1)

The icand mini-mag is about right for the situation, but it drops to quickly. So, I am looking for something that puts out a steady stream of light without dropping after 5 mins like the mag. & if possible, a high, so I can switch it out as my EDC

prof student

Enlightened
SureFire A2 or HDS Ra Clicky/Ra Twisty 100 high CRI immediately come to mind.

The A2 is a regulated incandescent with an LED low mode. As an incandescent, it will render colors best. It is the larger of the two lights.

The Ra is (available with) a high CRI LED. It should render colors very well for an LED. It is smaller, and has much more versatility with respect to output level.

The A2 has a higher list price, but can often be found new in package on the secondary market for about half price, making it less expensive. The Ra is found new in package less often on the secondary market, so fewer price breaks are available new. Both lights tend to be very highly regarded by owners (and many non-owners).

Also, as you read over recommendations, remember that a warm color tint LED does not imply a high CRI LED. For accurate color rendition from an LED, you'll need a high CRI LED. Most high CRI LED's happen to also be warm tinted LED's, hence the common confusion.

Ah ha. So, warm does not = high CRI? Is the Q5 a high CRI?

Thanks.

prof student

Enlightened
easy, quark aa^2 tactical warm white is just a hair smaller than a minimag, or quark mini aa warm white for something even smaller

however, I find neutral tint renders colors closer to daylight, even if it's not as close to an incan

Would you happen to know if that has the high CRI LED in it?

Thanks

prof student

Enlightened
The only incan dim enough for the task is a mag! That is hilarious to me. The highest CRI LED is the HDS RA high CRI, as has been mentioned. It sounds like the perfect light for your application and as an EDC for you when not working. Run an RCR in it (I think you can) and play with it as much as you like every day. :)

ETA: May I ask what restuarant? Last time I was at a Ruth's Chris this was done for me. :)

But, would the Ra w/ high CRI be too bright for this?

Restaurant is called Eddie V's. Its a relatively new restaurant. They are starting to expand. They have different concepts as well. All in Texas, Arizona, California so far.