"Luxeon Lottery" creator?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
\"Luxeon Lottery\" creator?

How often do we use this expression; dozens, hundreds of times every day? It's a wonderfully apt term to describe the frustrating vagueries of our "Luxeon experience". In two words it says it all.

But who came up with it? Who was the inspired author? I suspect that I'm not the only Flashaholic who wants to give credit to the author of this phrase.

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned
Re:

I have absolutely nothing to back this up with, but possibly an exhaustive search can confirm. I think it was Peter ...

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Luxeon Lottery creator

From my search, the first use appears to be by Dirobesh - Inretech Trilight - Initial Impressions - on 02/12/03.

The words first appear together in a post by Geepondy but he was referring to the "Arc LS $200 5W Luxeon lottery on Saturday " (the LS3 sale).

Pat

*Edit - Or should credit go to Hotfoot for this, "Yes - you are *guaranteed* a Q3J. There is no lottery here." from Re: Question for dat2zip and Skunkworks on McLux on 2/3/03. Of course, it could be someone else's invention. I really can't remember where I saw it used first, but it sure caught hold. It is an incredibly accurate description.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
treek13 said:
From my search, the first use appears to be by Dirobesh - Inretech Trilight - Initial Impressions - on 02/12/03.

The words first appear together in a post by Geepondy but he was referring to the "Arc LS $200 5W Luxeon lottery on Saturday " (the LS3 sale).

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat,

Good work, this could be it:

From Dirobesh 2/12/03 in thread "Inretech Trilight - Initial Impressions"

...On to the luxeons:- one is extremely white and bright, easily the best I've seen, the second is also bright and white, the third is really quite noticeably dimmer and greener than the other two. This is not a reflection of the quality control at Inretech, merely the result of the ongoing <font color="red">LUXEON LOTTERY</font> that everyone here has experienced....

Brightnorm

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

That's probably a better saying than "rotten dog urine green" or "rotten cat urine green" that I use to describe those noticeably green "white" Luxeons.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Yes, we are looking for the originator with reference to poor mfg. QC, correct? Not just a coincidental pairing of words with a totally different meaning?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

yes, i thought it was a much older phrase...

i've always thought it was one of those sayings or phrases concieved back in the dark ages of yore...
knowing that it's so new kinda makes it lose a little of it's "magic" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Yes, we are looking for the originator with reference to poor mfg. QC, correct? Not just a coincidental pairing of words with a totally different meaning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly

BN

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I definately saw this term on or before I registered... At least back in 2002, so it's much older than 2003...

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

After running multiple searches here on CPF, I think that Dirobesh really is the first person to coin the phrase "Luxeon lottery" here on CPF on 02/12/03.

For example, I did one search just on the word lottery and came back with results dating all the way back to 01/18/01. Going through the results, Dirobesh's post was still the first with "Luxeon lottery" used as we use it today.

Pat

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Regardless, it's still an awesome phrase to describe what you can/can't get with an LS these days, no matter who originated it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dirobesh

Enlightened

(Bows his head humbly and graciously acknowledges applause... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

I coined the phrase when commenting on the huge differences in the quality of the luxeons installed in my trilight. *sigh* If only I'd patented it, I might have finally been able to afford that Surefire M6 I keep dreaming about.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

how about a new acronym: LLL.

"Lost the Luxeon Lottery".

descibes me fairly well...7/10 were crappy.

but i did luck into a few P3's--NICE!

Bob

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a Luxeon Lottery Loser baby, so why don't you kill me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif