Does this user interface still exist? (liteflux LF1)

Mikeg23

Enlightened
There used to be a two stage AA light that the tailcap was just click on and click off. To switch between high and low you twisted the tail cap back and forth to one of the two positions.

Last edited:

edc3

Enlightened
Re: Does this user interface still exist?

The Fenix L1T works like that. The Quark Tactical series works the same, except the two levels are customizable. Some of the EagleTac lights work like that too.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened

The Fenix L1T works like that. The Quark Tactical series works the same, except the two levels are customizable. Some of the EagleTac lights work like that too.

Except that those lights use a head twist to choose the level. I'm a big fan of that interface due to the great simplicity and more or less foolproof nature of it. Twisting the tailcap would be a bit different... would the idea be to somehow make it easier to do everything with just one hand? There are also similar designs which use a momentary press and/or twist to pick between two levels; however, they do not use a clicky switch.

edc3

Enlightened

:oops: I read what I thought he said, not what he actually said. I've never seen a light that changes levels with that particular UI.

gunga

Flashaholic

Liteflux LF1. It uses a resistor in the tail so be aware of the in-efficiencies of that circuit.

It's an older light that can be found used.

Mikeg23

Enlightened

Twisting the tailcap would be a bit different... would the idea be to somehow make it easier to do everything with just one hand?

Yes the idea would actually be to make it as much like a single mode light as possible. Turning the head requires changing your grip.

Liteflux LF1. It uses a resistor in the tail so be aware of the in-efficiencies of that circuit.

It's an older light that can be found used.

Thank you! I could not remeber the name of it for the life of me. I've been punching stuff into google for a week now. I was hoping there was a new improved version with a brighter whiter emiter, but that doesn't seem to be so.

Mikeg23

Enlightened

The fenix is a reverse click I think so that's out... I may have to look into the Quark tactical lights... Thanks! So they are two mode lights the strobe crap and what not doesn't come up unless you go looking for it?

I want to be able to search a room and continually press and release the tailcap just like you would a single mode light.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*

The fenix is a reverse click I think so that's out... I may have to look into the Quark tactical lights... Thanks! So they are two mode lights the strobe crap and what not doesn't come up unless you go looking for it?

I want to be able to search a room and continually press and release the tailcap just like you would a single mode light.

the fenix l1t was (is) a FORWARD clicky.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

I had an L1T but now have a Surefire E1L for two toggling output levels, which I'm using with a twist tailcap switch right now and I think it's close to perfect for a two mode light.

Another light I've really been enjoying lately is my Arc6 which allows up to three levels and you can set the brightness of them to your preference so that if you prefer only two levels you can set it that way.

I can still see what you're looking for is noticeably different than these two lights, but you may want to at least check them out.

Another possibility to would be to contact Scott and see if he can build you that UI into the light of your choice.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened

Yes, the Quark Tactical is the way to go. The tailcap is a momentary clicky that works just like you mention, however you can also click through to get constant ON. You twist the head to move between 2 different modes which are programmable so you can skip strobe altogether. Mine are programmed for high and moonlight low.

Quark tacticals are my #1 choice for budget tac lights that are better than most other not so budget lights!

Dennis.

Mikeg23

Enlightened

I had an L1T but now have a Surefire E1L for two toggling output levels, which I'm using with a twist tailcap switch right now and I think it's close to perfect for a two mode light.

Another light I've really been enjoying lately is my Arc6 which allows up to three levels and you can set the brightness of them to your preference so that if you prefer only two levels you can set it that way.

I can still see what you're looking for is noticeably different than these two lights, but you may want to at least check them out.

Another possibility to would be to contact Scott and see if he can build you that UI into the light of your choice.

The new Surefire UI is pretty cool. I mostly have single level lights but my favorite multi mode lights are my HDS U60GT and the E1B that my fiance has. Still though neither of these will do quite what I want.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

The new Surefire UI is pretty cool. I mostly have single level lights but my favorite multi mode lights are my HDS U60GT and the E1B that my fiance has. Still though neither of these will do quite what I want.
Scott usually responds fairly quickly and has a reputation for satisfaction when it comes to building something not available otherwise.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
You'll have to forgive me as I don't spend a lot of time in the LED forum... Who is Scott?

Are the quark tacticals reliable enough to be a primary light? Most of my lights are Incan Surefires with a few LED Surefires and the HDS thrown in there. Of course there's some other stuff Inova, fenix, dorcy and mag mods but none of those are my primary lights that get carried.

Also, all of my current lights except the fenix LOD are either cr123 or lithium ion... So I think it would be cool to get a high powered LED that uses AA... Lithium ion, NiMh, lithium, and alkaline.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You'll have to forgive me as I don't spend a lot of time in the LED forum... Who is Scott?

Are the quark tacticals reliable enough to be a primary light? Most of my lights are Incan Surefires with a few LED Surefires and the HDS thrown in there. Of course there's some other stuff Inova, fenix, dorcy and mag mods but none of those are my primary lights that get carried.

Also, all of my current lights except the fenix LOD are either cr123 or lithium ion... So I think it would be cool to get a high powered LED that uses AA... Lithium ion, NiMh, lithium, and alkaline.
Sorry, Scott is Milkyspit and has been around for ages.

I'd carry a Quark with no concerns and would think them comparable to Fenix for durability. Most everything pales by direct comparison to and lights made by Henry and although I've never had an HDS, I have had several Ra and Novatac lights. For the toughest lights out there I'd feel most comfortable with one of his creations, but again fell that the Quark lineup should be fine as long as your not planning on throwing them down into canyons and off buildings.

Being a fan of incan lights you may be interested in checking into the availability of 5x, 6x and 7x tint bins.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Sorry, Scott is Milkyspit and has been around for ages.

Being a fan of incan lights you may be interested in checking into the availability of 5x, 6x and 7x tint bins.

I see I recognize the name Milkyspit from his Surefire L1 mods.

What are 5x, 6x, and 7x tint bins? Are these the "high CRI" lights that I hear about? Are these available in a Quark? I see that they say "R5 cool white" on going gear website.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The Jetbeam E3S does exactly what the OP specified, with the minor difference that you twist the head instead of the tailcap to change brightness. I have one, I like it a lot.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
What are 5x, 6x, and 7x tint bins? Are these the "high CRI" lights that I hear about? Are these available in a Quark? I see that they say "R5 cool white" on going gear website.
Generally speaking the 5x (5A, 5B... now subdivided into 5A1>5A4, 5B1>5B4...) are neutral tints leaning on the warm side, 6x would be warmer yet and I'm suspecting from my experiences so far exactly where I'll find my holy grail, and 7x tints are decidedly warm in appearance.

Having a couple lights with 7x and 5x emitters I think the former to be very pleasant to see, but a little less useful in comparison, while the 5x seems very nice, but just a touch cooler than I'd like.

High CRI is separate from tint and personally I'm not well enough versed in the nuanced differences between emitters with a high CRI and low CRI of equivalent tints...