choose one,TK20 VS LD20?

XRC

Newly Enlightened
hey folks,as a Fenixholic,though my history of collecting flashlight is really really short
wink.gif
,right now I wanna buy one of them,
FENIX TK20 CREE Q2 LED Flashlight (2 x AA)
thumbnail.asp

or FENIX LD20 CREE XR-E(Q5) LED Flashlight(2 x AA)
fenixld20.jpg
i have surfed the internet for a few days,and compared the shops with each other,still confused,yep,newbie's puzzle
so ,you professional guys, recommend one for me,TK or LD
btw,i am a outdoor guy,then
ty0105.gif

sappyg

Enlightened
i only have experience with the TK20 but if i were looking for another 2 AA flashlight i would pick the TK again. i've used mine for about a year and i'm still amazed by the build quality (read heavy duty) and the warm throwy beam. it is an excellent choice for outdoor use IMO.

if simple UI and rugged build warm tint with throw is what you like the TK is hard to beat.

daf3m

Enlightened
As sappyg said ,TK20 is a rugged flashlight with good throw ,warm tint kai simple UI(2 modes) .On the other hand the LD20 Q5 is a multi-UI and of course less rugged with much more heating coming off its head due to smaller size.For an EDC probably is more usefull due to its multiple outputs and of course size.At this moment maybe you should consider R4 ..

I think TK20 would be my decision too ..Especially for SAR or emergency.I forgot to mention the rubber surface which givew great grip.Of course you ought to carry at least spare AA batteries..

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to choose betweem those two, I guess I would pick the TK20. I don't really like my LD20 (XP-G R4) because of the tint (I have two and they are both blue). They have more of a blue/purple tint then any other flash light I own or have seen. I don't have a TK20 but it sounds like they don't have that issue. If you must have AA batteries, there are some other good non-fenix choices too.

Edit: I just noticed you are looking at the older version of the LD20 with the XR-E. That may not have the tint issue.

shark_za

Enlightened
Having both I think I would choose the LD20 if I only was to have one.
The longer runtime on a more practical low along with the higher total output would decide.
Its easier to pocket and use.

The TK20 is awesome if you use it as a part time tactical light or spend a lot of your time outdoors. It throws better so this might be a decision sway point.

For me and my uses and I can only have one, LD20.

But I don't have to limit myself and use each one to its advantages.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and if I could only keep one, I would keep the TK20 no questions asked.

Thing is, I have many other lights.

If you need it for serious use like work, hiking, whatever else, you need to know if you might be better off with more runtime or more lumens (although the TK20 on low is pretty bright , but still can last a whole work day). If you want something that is somewhat discrete, the PD20 looks less like a hunting knife on your belt and at a low of 4 lumens, it's more than you need for walking.

If you want throw, power, to impress people, run over your flashlight with your car, play baseball with your light, then the TK20 is for you.

Hope I could shed a little light for you...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
You might want to check out my 2xAA Round-Up review.

Although that review only compares the TK20 to the LD20-Q5, the new LD20-R4 isn't that much brighter (mainly more runtime). Check out my LD10/LD20-R4 review for more info on that light.

In a nutshell, consider carefully how you will use the light. The TK20 has greater throw, a neutral-warm color tint, simpler interface, and a much larger and heavier build than the LD20.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
This is a hard one as they are both are great lights. I use my TK20 more than L2D-Q5 (nearly the same Fenix light) so that's gotta say something. Just not sure what that something is. :thinking: Maybe it's the tint and UI of the TK20? Both lights are a bit too big in my view for EDC, though that's just me.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both of them, and my vote goes to TK20.
Though it lacks a real low mode, which I like, I prefer it because:

*it's made for a stable and comfortable hold
*better tint
*better throw
*more robust construction

Regards, Patric

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a nutshell, consider carefully how you will use the light. The TK20 has greater throw, a neutral-warm color tint, simpler interface, and a much larger and heavier build than the LD20.

That sums up the TK20 pretty well. I have one on my belt I use strickly for hunting. However, I would prefer a smaller, lighter, and brighter light for hunting. I would go with a LD20 or Quark AA light unless I needed the extremely heavy build of the TK20. I think the LD20 is plenty tuff enough for anything I would put a light through. I plan on buying another AA light to replace my TK20 before next hunting season opens.

Bill

kramer5150

Flashaholic
They are FAR too different from one another (in several ways) to say definitively, one is better than the other. They're just different.

For me I would go with the LD20 as a general indoor around the house or belt carry EDC and the TK20 for an outdoor, rugged, mud proof lighting tool.

The TK20 feels great in the hand on cold days and its warm tint is outstanding outdoors.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For outdoors, the TK20 is still by far the best AA light I have come across; it is practically indestructable, the tint is great for depth perception and colour rendition of natural colours, and the beam throws incredibly far for a 2x AA light.

If you want it for edc however, the versatility and smaller size of the LD20 will probably suit you better.

If you have a seperate edc light and plan on using this outdoors, go for the TK20. :thumbsup:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh this is a tough one because, as previously mentioned, both lights are *so* very different and are thus designed for very different purposes. Their only real similarities are that they both are from Fenix and they both are powered by two AA cells. I have been EDCing an LD20 (XR-E Q5 model) for six months now and I have had a TK20 for about a month. Both are excellent lights and I absolutely love them both. I think that there are a few simple questions that you might want to consider first before making a choice.

1. Are you going to EDC these lights? If so, the TK20 is just too big and heavy to EDC in my opinion, unless you carry it in a backpack or waist pack. If you're going to carry your new light in a holster, like what I do, then the LD20 is really the only choice here since it's much smaller and lighter than the TK20.

2. Are you using your new light specifically for outdoor use? If so, then the TK20 is the better choice as its neutral tint LED is vastly superior outdoors for things like night hikes. The LD20, as with all cool white LED lights, just washes out all colors while with the TK20 those colors just come alive. I've done direct comparisons between my two lights outdoors and every time I turn on my TK20, I put my LD20 back in its holster where it usually stays. The TK20 is *that* good outdoors in the wilderness.

3. Do you need flash modes? The LD20 has both an SOS and a strobe mode, while the TK20 has no flash modes at all.

4. How much do you want to spend? The LD20 is about $60 and the TK20 is about $50. Is that $10 a deal breaker for the LD20? Honestly, I think that the TK20 is one of the best deals out there for a high quality LED light.

5. Will you be using your new light outside in the winter time? If so, the aluminum bodied LD20 can be pretty cold in your hands if you're not wearing gloves. The TK20's sticky rubber grip feels *really* good when it's cold outside and it definitely does make carrying it much easier.

6. What is more important to you in a beam, throw distance or flood? The TK20 has a very tight hot spot that throws extremely far for a 2 AA light. The LD20 has a much wider hot spot that does not throw anywhere near as far.

7. What kind of tailcap switch do you like? The TK20 has a forward clicky switch, while the LD20 has a reverse clicky switch.

Those are just a few "tip of the iceberg" questions that highlight the differences between the two lights. Both are *excellent* lights though and I'm sure that you'll be happy with either one. Whichever one you ultimately choose, please feed it right and don't use alkaline batteries. The last thing you want is a battery leak in your new light.

Please let us know which one you decide to buy. :)

computernut

Enlightened
I just ordered a TK20 for my dad's birthday. I'm trying to slowly replace his Mags with better lights. I don't like multi-mode lights myself and I couldn't see me giving him a light with a complicated UI. The TK20 has two levels selectable by twisting the bezel and an on/off clicky on the back. The light also had to use AA's as he understands the chargers for those. He should find it handy for the vehicle and camping. If it works out well I'll be buying a bunch of these for family/friends.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and I prefer TK20.

It´s built like a tank: heavy and sturdy.
And it has the KISS principle: just 2 modes, low and high.

Throw is AMAZING for it´s size. I love mine!

But it´s too big for every day carry (pocket). I only use it while camping, in the woods.

:thumbsup:

gerok

Newly Enlightened
I am very satisfied with my TH20: It is very solid, has a good throw and a simple UI.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
TK20 is more utilitarian. The LD20 is more fun to play with and show off to people.:naughty: Kids in particular think all the modes are the coolest thing in the world.