Quality of Quark Mini 123 . . .

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Quark AA/2 and have Mini AA and the quality has been great. I see SOME people have had quality issues with the Mini 123 version. Have the problems been solved with the current release? Need to get a couple of gifts for family and these seem like a good bet.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have no quality concerns with my Quark MiNi 123. I have also handled a number of MiNis (8, to be exact) and all were, as far as I'm concerned, quite fine with no discernible problems.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
If you're getting gifts for family I would go with AA over CR123s. Sometimes once the CR123 battery is finished so is the light.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my warm white MiNi 123 and I hate to say the thread play this time round is very bad. This is not the first MiNi 123 I have had and all the previous ones were working fine. For this particular shipment of the warm white run, I have to turn the head out to almost one full turn to lock it out and sometimes I get this mode skipping issues. The head is quite loose and even tapping the head on the side I am able to turn the light on. The cool white I have previously only needs about less than a quarter of a turn to lock out and it fits snugly on the battery tube. I did a swap on the battery tubes and the warm white performs flawlessly so I suspect the problem has got to do with the engineering precision of the battery tubes. Sad to say, Quark lights are well made but their level of precision needs a lot of improvements. Customers can't expect to buy a product all the time like as if they are buying the lottery.

I do not know what I could do now. Of course the simple answer would be to write in to 4sevens for an RMA# but considering that this is a replacement light because the first time round they sent me an AA version and had to replace me with a 123 version, I just hate the waiting time involved. It takes almost 2 weeks for me to send the light to 4sevens and another almost 2 weeks for the replacement to reach me. Almost another 3 weeks of having no MiNi 123 warm white to play with. That is the most frustrating thing that could happen. Maybe I should just write to them and go through the long wait.

papajoe

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm . . . . . . . I'm confused (not the first time). Are we saying the MiNi 123 DOES have quality issues? My MiNi CR2 is a jewel. I was considering a 123 for my son - not a good idea ? Tell it like it is. The OP title says it clearly, eh?

Thanks in advance for your candor.

Joe

jblackwood

Enlightened
Yeah, mine has really loose threads too. I'll RMA it tonight and check my CR2 warm one as well to see if those threads are loose as well.

W.Y.N.I

Newly Enlightened
Been edcing mine for two weeks now, during which its received a bit of rough treatment, and I have to say I have no complaints about the build quality at all. Threads needed a little extra lube on arrival but otherwise very good.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Mine needed a bit of extra lube and some use to smooth out the operation. I've seen four other QMinis that have all been fine. I wouldn't be scared away for this reason. Besides, it can be sent back.

Geoff

mitro

Newly Enlightened
If you haven't seen it, you should check this thread: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=211786

I'd absolutely LOVE the Mini 123 if I could change modes reliably without carefully twisting it with two hands. I wish I'd been one of the people who hit the "thread lottery", because the tint of mine is so good (for a cool white XPG) that its a shame I get annoyed by it.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads on mine are a bit loose. I cured it with some Teflon (plumber's) tape as suggested in another thread. You shouldn't have to do this, but it was a very cheap and easy fix. It now feels just right.

gpjoe

Newly Enlightened
I have a Mini Ti CR2. I suppose the threads are a tad sloppy but I never really paid attention. It is also true with my light that pushing on the side of the head may momentarily turn the light on (depending on how loose/tight the head is), but again I never knew that was considered a 'defect'.

Regardless, I still think it's a great little flashlight.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my MiNi AA to my daughter and replaced it with the MiNi 123. I had the AA in my left pants pocket and my 123 in right the other night. I was playing with them and noticed that the thread play was excessive on the 123 compared to the AA.

I would have thought that with all the complaints about thread play that they would have fixed it by now.

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2 when they came out. Both emitters slightly off center and one whines when on medium. Overall I like the lights, but.......

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first unit had issue's I contacted CS and they sent a new light even before I shipped the bad unit back. The new light has been great with no issue's. This does not really speak to the quality of the light but they do stand behind there product and I would purchase from them again.

TRITON

Newly Enlightened
I dont have a 123 mini but I do have a QCR2 mini titanium, cost me over a hundred bucks to get it over to Australia, loose threads,mode skipping,multiple turns to lock out. Not that impressed, XPG tint a bit creamy for my likeing aswell. But I do like the idea of the white thread tape, might give that a try. Shame as I really like the design of this torch, It was to be a replacement for my Aeon but it is not in the same class.:sigh:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Mine (warm) skip mode upon received, it's ok now after some Krytox and DeoxIT. There is a bit more thread play than the AA, but not as bad as I hear from some of you. Perhaps a high viscosity grease or teflon tape will help? :whistle:

burntoshine

Enlightened
i own four minis and have handled another two. all great lights so far. 6 months and no problems.

i also think AA minis would be much better gifts than 123s.

cheerio!