Mag D Switch - Mods?

Bob96

Enlightened
I am w/o soldering skills or a machine shop envinorment. This appears to make a rocker type install not for me unless there is a drop-in unit avaiable. Is there any easy-simple way to upgrade a Mag D Switch to better handle higher current levels? I would just use an AW Soft-Start Switch but these are not currently available. I am guessing that thin metal contacts & springs and plastic parts are the problem in handling heat & current in the stock switch? Wondered if anything that I could do to make switch last a little longer - of course would not be fail-safe,

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure, add wire traces to enhance conductivity (e.g. braided copper mesh wire running up the inside of the spring).
Use a cleaner on the contact surfaces.

You could grab an Alan B. regulator for enhanced switch performance :)

mrartillery

Enlightened
sure, add wire traces to enhance conductivity (e.g. braided copper mesh wire running up the inside of the spring).
Use a cleaner on the contact surfaces.

You could grab an Alan B. regulator for enhanced switch performance :)

This is just a resistance fix, the contacts within the clicky are the issue, only sure way for them not to fail at high amps is to do away with them. And if you're wanting a Alan B you'll be on a waiting list longer than AW's.

Also, Bob, you mentioned a drop in unit of the rocker switch. This is a mod I kind of consider one that has to be customized to the light, because i slightly off set the KIU and remove the ano for a good ground connection. Not to mention, it has to be set (epoxied) into place.

Last edited: