Mag3C Quad XP-G MaxFlex Mod

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Here's a mod where the host has sentimental value to the owner, I was honored to provide the build for him. The owner provided the ideas & parts, we decided on an appropiate driver & here are the results.

Hope the owner enjoys!

-Mag3C (older model with no C in the serial)
-Quad XP-G R5 32mm MCPCB in series
-35mm diffused optics
-TaskLED MaxFlex5 (1300ma max, reconfigurable by UI)
-Download's MultiSink
-UCL 2.84mm thick
-Powered by 2x18650 in custom holder

IMG_8272.jpg

Machined a recess to center the MCPCB
Img_8168.jpg

IMG_8185.jpg

No mill so I made a heatsink for the MaxFlex out of copper pipe & a Dremel.
Img_8156.jpg

Img_8202.jpg

Postive contact for the battery adapter & acts as a spacer to fill the extra length of the battery compartment
IMG_8214.jpg

Oring to hold the adapter in the body (adapter is not required to be removed when changing cells)
IMG_8226.jpg

Negative contact for the 18650s (thanks to wquiles for the great idea!)
IMG_8207.jpg

The 35mm diameter optic is no where near large enough to fill the a MagC/D head & I was a bit concerned. The owner used to call me the "glow master" & with his SN, I couldn't let him down so I filled in the void with some glow.
IMG_8285.jpg

IMG_8268.jpg

Cavity ring turned down from a transparent furniture caster. :grin2:
IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8244.jpg

IMG_8250.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

saltytri

Enlightened
Will, that is sweet! So many good ideas packed into one light. There are some things there that I'll copy shamelessly. :crackup:

I'm also a fan of the C. Thanks to a vigilant and helpful member, I just got some gray 2Cs, which seem to be in short supply right now, and I'll be having fun with them.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm another Mag C fan :twothumbs

Surprised that Download's Multi-Sink was used.
Would have thought you could have knocked one up on your lathe :D

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm the proud owner of such an awesome creation!! :party: :party:

Here's more info on that light. Short story: it's a circa 1980's 3C Mag that belonged to my dad. I found it battered and neglected at my mother's house a while back. With the help of some generous CPFers I was able to make it work again. However, it never felt "complete"...

My dad was always tinkering and building stuff, and I'm sure if he were alive today, he'd love to have a custom flashlight (or two or three... dozen). So, in his honor, I decided that this light would be turned into something special. First I thought of turning this light into some sort of ROP, but then decided that wouldn't've been cool enough for my dad (he was always in pursuit of the latest tech gadget). It had to be LED then, and it had to be *bright*. I realized those multi-emitter XR-Gs are now available, and the rest of the project ideas fell in to place with Will's help.

Master Darkzero was kind enough to take up my request, in what I think might be one of his last custom projects. We discussed details and... I think he totally and completely outdid himself with this built. Even the custom glow ring, which I jokingly mentioned but knew was near impossible to implement! I really did not expect to see that incorporated into the light.

I am sure my dad would've gone nuts over a light so cool like this one (I know I am!).

Thank you, Will!!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
gray 2Cs, which seem to be in short supply right now

Seriously? Uh oh, I better go look for another box. I'm only down to one box of the pewters. :grin2:

Img_8343.jpg

Pewter is my personal favorite color for the Mags. These are the ones left in my personal stash aside from the unopened ones.
Img_8345.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Would have thought you could have knocked one up on your lathe :D

Many times it's easier & cheaper to buy an existing heatsink & modify if even needed. This heatsink did not require modifying but doing so helped the build come out better.

I'm the proud owner of such an awesome creation!! :party: :party:

Here's more info on that light. Short story: it's a circa 1980's 3C Mag that belonged to my dad. I found it battered and neglected at my mother's house a while back. With the help of some generous CPFers I was able to make it work again. However, it never felt "complete"...

My dad was always tinkering and building stuff, and I'm sure if he were alive today, he'd love to have a custom flashlight (or two or three... dozen). So, in his honor, I decided that this light would be turned into something special. First I thought of turning this light into some sort of ROP, but then decided that wouldn't've been cool enough for my dad (he was always in pursuit of the latest tech gadget). It had to be LED then, and it had to be *bright*. I realized those multi-emitter XR-Gs are now available, and the rest of the project ideas fell in to place with Will's help.

Master Darkzero was kind enough to take up my request, in what I think might be one of his last custom projects. We discussed details and... I think he totally and completely outdid himself with this built. Even the custom glow ring, which I jokingly mentioned but knew was near impossible to implement! I really did not expect to see that incorporated into the light.

I am sure my dad would've gone nuts over a light so cool like this one (I know I am!).

Thank you, Will!!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

You are very welcome Migs. Awesome to hear about the history of the light. I'm happy to have made this possible for you. :twothumbs

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonderful story and build. I love hearing the sentimental details of certain lights. Makes this place very special. Will...awesome work :thumbsup: That battery adapter is the **** with the +ve contact and o-ring. :twothumbs

saltytri

Enlightened
Seriously? Uh oh, I better go look for another box. I'm only down to one box of the pewters. :grin2:

Img_8343.jpg

OK, now I'm seriously impressed and jealous! Where did you get a whole box? According to Mag, the gray C isn't on the market now.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Great history with the light Greenled! And awesome build Will!! Would love to see some beamshots from that sucker. :thumbsup: Sending you a PM btw Will.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
OK, now I'm seriously impressed and jealous! Where did you get a whole box? According to Mag, the gray C isn't on the market now.

From what I've seen, Mag doesn't really list the availability of all the colors. I always got mine from Home Depot, just grabbed a whole box & went to the register. The 3C pewter however is rare & impossible to find, only came in the older style with the C in the serial. These came in a box rather than a blister pack.

I always thought the odd colors were exclusive to certain stores. I thought the pewter 2C was exclusive to Home Depot but the guys here are saying they've seen them at Ace? I don't have an Ace near me. Just like the copper 2Ds, I thought they were exclusive to Target as that's the only place I've ever seen/got them. I don't have any evidence of this though, just what I've heard here & there.

saltytri

Enlightened
From what I've seen, Mag doesn't really list the availability of all the colors. I always got mine from Home Depot, just grabbed a whole box & went to the register. The 3C pewter however is rare & impossible to find, only came in the older style with the C in the serial. These came in a box rather than a blister pack.

I always thought the odd colors were exclusive to certain stores. I thought the pewter 2C was exclusive to Home Depot but the guys here are saying they've seen them at Ace? I don't have an Ace near me. Just like the copper 2Ds, I thought they were exclusive to Target as that's the only place I've ever seen/got them. I don't have any evidence of this though, just what I've heard here & there.

It is a bit of a mystery. Zbattery.com is ready and willing to sell us colors that Mag doesn't have on its web site. I guess it's just part of the fun to chase colors.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
It is a bit of a mystery. Zbattery.com is ready and willing to sell us colors that Mag doesn't have on its web site. I guess it's just part of the fun to chase colors.

Interesting, do they list that option on their site? Around here black, black, & black is the only color you can find for any C size Mag except for the pewter at Home Depot. I'm going to make a trip to a few Home Depots this weekend to get another box of them, if you would like some pewters just let me know, that is if they still have them.

When I bought that box, it was cause I heard the pewters were becoming scarce & I panicked, that was like 2 years ago. Haven't paid much attention since then but I do recall still seeing them in stores. So maybe what I heard wasn't true or was only true for certain areas.