Is the Thrunite Catapult V2 that bright ?

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
In an earlier post Tre (thanks Tre) rated LED flashlights from the most powerful in terms of lumens to the least.

1) Olight SR-90 (best by a mile)
2) Thrunite Catapult V2
3) EagleTac M2XC4
4) Jetbram M1X
5) Tiablo ACE-G
6) Lumapower MVP

Although the SR90 tops them all in the above list, is the Trunite Catapult V2 that bright ? I know it is amazing throw, but does it also have great spill ?

I also hear of Electrolumens as being awesome flashlights--they look custom-made flashlights to me, so when Tre made that list above, I assume he assumed I meant ''production flashlights'', which is indeed what I meant. However, it looks like I could get a lot more out of a custom-made one, or least those Electrolumens for instance.

I'd go for the SR90 were it not for the fact it comes with a factory made battery pack--not conventional 18650 batteries.

what's the OTF on the Blaster NG ?

I'd get the Catapult V2, but I think it is possible to get more for the money.

I'm totally open to suggestions, the more input the better.

Thanks again.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
I think that M1X and M2XC4 have more measured OTF lumens than Catapult

When I look at beamshots of the M2SC4 it ''appears'' to put out more lumens. See, I'm not a flashlight collector, but I'm looking for one very good one that's going to impress me quite a bit, at least that's going to blow away my SSC P7 from Deal Extreme by a mile !

Is the MX1 by EagleTAC ?

Enlightened
Most of the throwers will have an okay spill. What's your priority? My two powerhouses are the Fenix TK30 and the Catapult V2. Both do minimum 500+ OTF. Of those two, I find the beam of the TK30 more for general purpose. Good hotspot and useful spill.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I believe that the JetBeam RRT-3 is brighter and it might also have better throw. But I do not have the Catapult v2 yet and can not check it.
I have done a review of RRT-3 and is comparing it to some lights.

Here it is compared to M2S, first picture is M2S second picture is RRT-3:
DSC_2106c.jpg
DSC_2107c.jpg

In another comparison I have compared M2S to catapult v1, first M2S, second Cat v1:

DSC_1155c.jpg
DSC_1152c.jpg

These two comparisons make me believe that RRT-3 might beat the Catapult v2, but nothing is proven before I or somebody else does a beam shot comparison at some distance.

Last edited:

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Now, so far as reliability of the high powered flashlights, are there brands that really stand out and some that I shouldn't touch with a 20-foot pole ?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt review of the Catipult V2 (with charts to compare to other lights)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277988

Wow to the RRT-3. That is some serious throw from an SST-50. I don't know how jetbeam does it. Too bad they did not price that thing about $100 less to be more competitive with the competition. Even with the good bugoutgear discount, it is still more $$ then competitive lights. I really like it though.

kito109654

Newly Enlightened
I love the RRT-3 from afar (haven't handled one yet). I would love to get one.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
A dealer I spoke to today told me the RRT-3 is brighter than the Catapult V2. That said, the V2 is one heck of a good purchase.

However where I'm confused is when I look at these comparative beamshots : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/244670

I do not know what to think....it looks like the EagleTAC is brighter than rated--or maybe those beamshots are misleading since I wasn't there with the poster who tested those lights.

kito109654

Newly Enlightened
Nice !

What are those that put out a real 1000 OTF ?

Someone just told me a 200 lumens difference isn't something your eyes would notice---is this accurate ? Keep in mind I'm new to this.

I would bet most people couldn't tell any difference. It's especially difficult to tell if the beam patterns are not the same.

The only thing brighter that's production and not custom is the SR90 for another $150 or so. But that includes batteries and a charger so in a way it's a better deal if you haven't invested in batteries yet.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
I would bet most people couldn't tell any difference. It's especially difficult to tell if the beam patterns are not the same.

The only thing brighter that's production and not custom is the SR90 for another $150 or so. But that includes batteries and a charger so in a way it's a better deal if you haven't invested in batteries yet.

Are custom flashlights of better overall quality and more durable, or we're talking no difference at all as far as the last two points ?

Besides the Vara2000, what would be other worthwhile high output custom flashlights that you know of ?

Thanks

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Since 200 lumens wouldn't make any difference to the human eye, would you say that I'd be best to get a Catapult V2 over a RRT-3 ?

kito109654

Newly Enlightened
Are custom flashlights of better overall quality and more durable, or we're talking no difference at all as far as the last two points ?

Besides the Vara2000, what would be other worthwhile high output custom flashlights that you know of ?

Thanks

That is what is said but I don't have one. I have heard that the Firesword is completely durable and trustworthy but I wouldn't say the SR90 is anything less than very well contructed.

I imagine the quality difference is bigger when talking about smaller lights.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Correct me if mistaken, but in the SR90 you can't use 18650 batteries, right ? The battery pack is worth a few $, that's a turn-off to me.

What flashlights do you own ?

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
The M1X by JETBeam looks quite powerful as well.

One question : Should I rely more on beamshots or graphs ? Sometimes, real world results speak otherwise.