&$#^&# I killed an Everled!!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I could almost cry. I was trying different hosts, looking for the best option.

I popped it into a Rayovac Swivel Head 2D and hit the switch. Nothing. At that moment I very nearly had a heart attack. $37.25 DOWN THE DRAIN. Might as well have burned two 20s.

All it will do now id flicker slightly as the slide switch in an older Rayovac 2AA (PR bulb style) (which was a damn near perfect host!) operates.

I never dreamed that swivel head could be wired backwards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

franken2

Newly Enlightened
sorry to hear that playboy. i meter any light that looks suspect in it's wiring before i drop in a precious everled. connected properly, i love those bulbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

scooter

Newly Enlightened
WOW, Thanks for the warning! I was considering doing that exact same thing. I guess it pays to procrastinate.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Awww, man, ya let out all the magic smoke... that sucks!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Darkaway

Enlightened
I feel your pain brother!! I did the same thing in a PT 40 before I knew that they had no reverse polarity protection (I understand that the newer ones do). See this. Ledsupply replaced mine for free but only after I pointed out that the EverLED's instructions and packaging initially contained no reverse polarity warning. The instructions in the units shipped later did in fact contain such a warning. I still hold my breath every time I try my EverLED in a new light even after I double check the polarity.

In spite of its shortcomings I still think it's a great product.

soloco

Enlightened
I burned 2 out already. The first time they replaced it free. I'm not holding my breath on the second one.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am continually surprised at the number of flashlights that we are discovering are wired backwards. Of course it doesn't matter for a regular bulb, but still why would you do that? Can it really make that much of a difference in the manufacturing process?

I discovered another one last night. I got my order from Lifestyle Fascination of the "favor light" 4AA combined 6LED, xenon, CCFT but the xenon was very dissapointing so I wanted to put my ever led in there. but it's wired backwards! Oh well.

The next generation of EverLED's are going to be protected against this. I don't know if these are the ones they are selling yet or not.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Thanks guys!

All I can get it to do is flicker now. It isn't TOTALLY dead. And I never saw smoke, although the body of the bulb got a bit warm.

I got it from Brightguy. I'll look at the package carefully for any warnings, and maybe try getting it replaced...

I am rather doubtful however!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Still awaiting an email from Led Dynamics telling me to go jump in a lake!

Update on the Rayovac 2D Swivel Head that killed it.

I took the batteries out and looked it over. It looked like the batts could go in the other way. Tried that. It works. So if anyone else wants to try an Everled in one, there is hope.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
The LED is still fine, only the regulator gets smoked. So if you can't get a replacement, you can at least salvage the LED. I did that for a friend that killed one in a dive light (Ikelite Mini-C Lite will work with batteries either way, but has polarity markings that are negative tip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ).

Gutted it and put in a couple of resistors, so it's not the nice regulated lamp that it was, but if he puts his batteries in wrong again, it won't die. (It's brighter now too, since it's somewhat under-driven stock).

Aloha, iG

PS: I haven't killed mine, yet. But considering how many lights I have that take batteries either way, and how absent minded I typically am, I figure it's likely just a matter of time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif