Mini-Review - Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 - 370 emitter lumens - wow!

HIDblue

Enlightened
Mini-Review - Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 - 370 emitter lumens - wow!

Just received my Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 with XP-G R5 and all I can say is 'wow!' :huh:

Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 and Free goodies:

If you want the specs, you can check it out here on Lumapower's CPF marketplace thread:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=222823

I was 1 of 30 CPF'ers that bought the "CFP Edition" IncenDio lights, and although it took a little while to get, it was definitely worth the wait. I bought the light specifically to replace my pocket EDC Fenix PD20 R2 which has seen a ton of use but is holding on like a champ.

Here's what I noted about the "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5:

• The IncenDio is roughly the same size as the Fenix, but feels much lighter;
  • The emitter seems properly centered based on beamshots;
  • OP reflector for a smoother beam (Lumapower said they installed an "enhanced" reflector since the previous one showed the dreaded rings);
  • The Type IIIA is well done;
  • The silver color is pretty striking IMO;
  • The knurling is tactile but not aggressive;
  • The manufacturer's markings are clear and pretty precise;
  • (The only notable flaw I noticed was a small nick on the body, but as an EDC light that will probably ride in my pocket, I could care less.)
  • The IncenDio comes standard with a GITD rubber clickie cover and GITD o-ring between the lens and reflector;
  • The GITD rubber clickie cover is flat which allows the light to tailstand;
  • Forward clickie! :grin2: Yes, a forward clickie!
  • Pretty flimsy pocket clip (see remarks below).
The CPF Edition included the obligatory extra o-rings, but also included some extras, like an extra rubber clickie cover, lanyard ring, OD green lanyard with easy release clip, diffuser, and a set of really useful tweezers.

I swapped out the GITD rubber clickie cover for the regular 'ol black cover for aesthetics and feel. The black cover is slightly more dome-shaped than the GITD cover which is flat to allow tail-standing.

The "CPF Edition" IncenDio actually has 4-output levels with good, discernible spacing between the levels of brightness. The low is actually a usable low and the high is just surprisingly :eek:! I'm running an AW RCR123 and I can't believe how such a little 1-battery pocket light delivers such great output. Mind you, it does get toasty if you keep it on for long durations, but that's to be expected.

The beam is a nice neutral white, or at least what I perceive as "neutral" white; while my Fenix has a rather yellowish/greenish hue. Lumapower said they installed an enhanced reflector and I did not notice any rings whatsoever, and the beam has a pretty defined hotspot with good spill.

The UI is simple and user-friendly. Half-press to the desired level of output and a full-press/click for constant on at that level. If the light is kept on for more than 1-second on any level of brightness, the memory will kick in and it will stay on that level the next time you full click. There is also a tactical lock, wherein, you select the desired brightness and full press/click, keep it on for more than 1-second, turn the light off, and then 4-quick half-presses will lock the UI on that specific output level. I just love the fact that this little EDC light has a forward clickie!

I'm a poor photographer, at best, so forgive the poor quality of my photos, but I took a beamshot of my Fenix PD20 R2 on Turbo and the "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 on High below and you'll see the IncenDio is significantly brighter than the Fenix, especially the hotspot. The Fenix spits out 190 lumens on turbo and the IncenDio supposedly puts out 370 emitter lumens on its highest setting. I would even dare say that the IncenDio is brighter than my RRT-2 Raptor on high (although the Raptor still out-throws the IncenDio by leaps and bounds).

The included diffuser is really quite a nice product. Just FYI for others who have this same light, there are two pieces of felt-like material with an adhesive backing. Place one strip of that on the inside of the opening of the diffuser that goes over the head of the light for a proper fit, otherwise, the diameter of the IncenDio is too small for the diffuser opening. The felt also protects your light from metal to metal contact between the diffuser and the light head. :wave:

The only thing I can really criticize about the light is the pocket clip. It's just plain terrible. Lumapower, the horror...the horror. The included pocket clip has got the look, feel and durability of a paper clip! :sick2: Why would they ruin such a great quality light with such an inferior pocket clip? :ohgeez:So, needless to say, I removed the pocket clip and installed the lanyard loop just to prevent the light from rolling on any flat top surface.

Anyways, nit-picking aside, all in all, the Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 is an awesome light and will take its place as my new pocket EDC light. I'm glad I took the plunge and have absolutely no buyer's remorse on this one. Way to go Lumapower! :twothumbs

Coincidentally, now my 2 favorite lights are the Lumapower IncenDio V3 and the Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra.

Beamshot of my Fenix PD20 R2 on Turbo:

(REMOVED - apparently my amateurish photography skills, or lack thereof, led some folks to claim my beamshot of the Fenix PD20 was "misleading." Still doesn't change my opinion that the IncenDio is much brighter than the Fenix. As I explained in the mini-review, I'm a poor photographer, at best, and was using a simple point and click digital camera on auto-focus, but I figured poor beamshots are better than NO beamshots. Critics, ya gotta love 'em.)

Beamshot of the CPF Edition IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 on High :thumbsup::

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
Re: Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 - 370 emitter lumens - wow!

I lost my limited edition chrome IncenDio the other year. I replaced it with a Quark or 2. I would have been interested in the new IncenDio! I loved the UI and that it could tail stand.

You are right about the pocket clip. That is how I lost it. Never had a Quark jump out of my pocket. But none of them have the same UI, a clickie, and tailstand ability at the same time.

I would love to get one of the lights you have in a Warm White R5 or Neutral White R4.

I have a feeling, judging by the pictures, it is much more expensive than the original, though.

How much did you pay, and can I still get one?

HIDblue

Enlightened

All of us paid $68 for the CPF Edition which included shipping from Hong Kong, "CPF Edition" marking, free Diffuser and lanyard, and a donation by Lumapower to CPF.

Lumapower said they only made 30 of the CPF Editions and they all sold out pretty quickly, but they said they also made 100 of the silver limited edition versions. I thought I saw some of the silver limited edition IncenDio's on BatteryJunction's site at a discounted price, but that was a little while ago. They may have run out by now.

Last edited:

Triac

Newly Enlightened

HIDblue - Thanks for this mini-review and posting pics so quickly! Am eagerly awaiting delivery of mine and was wondering how 'cpf edition' was executed with IncenDio logo on the barrel. Your close-up really showed the nice integration in detail. Also I was wondering about the 'surprise gift' lanyard and your first photo showed it as well. I have the original Incendio V3 and love it but completely agree regarding the pocket clip. Not really an issue for me since I prefer the lanyard clip attachment but that pocket clip is definitely a weak spot in an otherwise stellar execution. Don't see the lanyard loop attachment in the clip slot or in any of the photos. The one included with my original V3 was SS colored. Is this the same for this cpf edition? Also, my original V3 included a nice snug-fitting mini holster which also does not appear in your photos, so I assume that has been eliminated or is not part of this offering.
Anyway, finding your review has been a real boost for me this evening and takes the edge off waiting for mine to arrive. So, a big :thanks:and :twothumbs for your mini-review! :grin2:

1anrm

Enlightened

Is your camera capable of fixed exposure?
PD20 is at 1/125 sec
V3 is at 1/60 sec
It would be nice to see with the same exposure for both lights.

HIDblue

Enlightened

Is your camera capable of fixed exposure?
PD20 is at 1/125 sec
V3 is at 1/60 sec
It would be nice to see with the same exposure for both lights.

1anrm, it's like you're speaking a foreign languge to me. Exposure? 1/125 sec? What is all that??? I took both of the photos using my simple point and click Casio digital camera on Auto-focus with no flash. Changing exposures is way above my level of simple point and click photography.

Like I said, I am a poor photographer, at best. I'll leave it up to the pros like selfbuilt to give you professional quality photos.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened

Anyway, finding your review has been a real boost for me this evening and takes the edge off waiting for mine to arrive. So, a big :thanks:and :twothumbs for your mini-review! :grin2:

Thanks Triac. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm happy with the purchase. You can barely see the lanyard loop, but it's there on the photo showing the black clickie cover. Unfortunately, no holster included, but the free lanyard and diffuser are real nice and appear to be of decent quality as well.

Triac

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Triac. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm happy with the purchase. You can barely see the lanyard loop, but it's there on the photo showing the black clickie cover. Unfortunately, no holster included, but the free lanyard and diffuser are real nice and appear to be of decent quality as well.
:ohgeez: Sorry, don't know how I missed that, especially since I knew what to look for...:shakehead Oh, well...
I'd rather have the lanyard than the holster anyway and it really is a great package with all the extras. Ricky included the diffuser with my original IncenDio V3 and it is really nice and fits great. I know that I will be just as pleased with this light as you are, once I get it. Then I should probably put the diffusers on both of my V3's and go play in traffic somewhere...:duh2:
Thanks again and enjoy!

DLF

Newly Enlightened
Re: Mini-Review - Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 - 370 emitter lumens -

HIDblue,

If you don't mind me appending a few of my thoughts, rather than replicating half of your review, I'd agree with most of your notes, with these few exceptions:

1. I agree on its beam and brightness; fantastic value. And the new 4-level UI is a nice one, with good usable spacing. Supposedly, they will be making more XP-G R5 Limited Editions w/this UI in HAIII grey.

2. I DON'T think the annodizing is done well. You mentioned a small nick, but I managed to make a largish one just by grabbing the tail retaining ring with a pair of pliers. Ouch!

3. The GITD rubber clickie cover and matching o-ring betw. lens & reflector are nice touches. OTOH, I was NOT able to get the slightly raised/rounded black clickie cover to seat properly and work the light, no matter the combo of spacer(s)/ring(s)/clip.

4. Fortunately, I DID get the lanyard ring to work, since as you note the "pocket clip" is more of a throwaway, distorted paper clip.

All in all, a good little EDC light, and I'm also glad I bought a "2010 CPF Edition."

-- DLF

Xak

Enlightened
Re: Mini-Review - Lumapower "CPF Edition" IncenDio V3 XP-G R5 - 370 emitter lumens -

If they make more editions of this I hope they beef up the clip.

I also hope they are offered in different tints like the R4 Neutral or R5 Warm White.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened

OTOH, I was NOT able to get the slightly raised/rounded black clickie cover to seat properly and work the light, no matter the combo of spacer(s)/ring(s)/clip.

Someone else mentioned having problems installing the black rubber clickie cover on their IncenDio as well. Not sure if it'll work on yours, but this is how I installed mine and it worked fine.
  • Remove the retaining ring
  • Remove the GITD clickie cover AND remove the white-colored plastic spacer right below the GITD clickie cover
  • Replace that plastic spacer with the plastic spacer that was provided in the little plastic bag with the o-rings(for some reason the plastic spacer that was beneath the GITD cover didn't work with the black clickie cover on mine)
  • Insert the black clickie cover into the retaining ring until the side rim of the clickie cover sit flush with the underside of the retaining ring
  • Now, screw the retaining ring with the black clickie cover installed onto the light body
  • Use the provided tweezers to tighten the retaining ring down to sit flush with the light body
I hope my wacky instructions make sense. Like I said, not sure if it'll work for ya, but it worked perfectly for me and that's what I have on the light now as you can see in the photo above. :grin2:

Last edited:

IMSabbel

Enlightened

1anrm, it's like you're speaking a foreign languge to me. Exposure? 1/125 sec? What is all that??? I took both of the photos using my simple point and click Casio digital camera on Auto-focus with no flash. Changing exposures is way above my level of simple point and click photography.

Then i would suggest removing those beam comparisons, because at the moment, they are most missleading.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

If they do make more of these with the 4 level UI in Grey HAIII, I will be very interested. The one thing that has held me back from upgrading my V1 is that I do not care for the power levels that they changed to - to high. But this 4 level UI may fix that.

matt304

Newly Enlightened

I have a quick question.

This light now says 370 lumens on Batteryjunctions site, like it does here. Is this still the same light that used to say 250 lumens, they just changed advertising tactics?

I used to own the 250 lumen advertised version, but I can't remember which LED it used.

If this is a new LED, and a big boost over the old one, I'm buying it again!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

New LED and an updated circuit as well - that's why the Incendio's with 370L are 'Incendio V3' - the 250L version was the V2.

We're sold out of the Limited Edition model - the one on the site is basically the same as the LE/CPF model light but in black instead of silver.

garn

Newly Enlightened

Just recieved mine from battery junction yesterday and have been playing around with it. This is a sweet little light.. I'm sold on the beam of this flashlight; incredibly smooth with the perfect amount of flood for an EDC imo.

I would say it is definitely 260-300 OTF lumens. On CR123a's it is almost exactly the same brightnes as my 1st gen Fenix P3D, which is rated at 160 lumens. On RCR123a's, it appears to be close to 1.5x's or twice as bright. Lighting up the backyard is a worlds difference with this little guy compared to my P3D (again, 1st gen, is that a P4? I can't remember).

The finish is equal to my Fenis, and I like the included accessories. The only thing I thought was really lacking in quality was the included holster.

The clicky is solid, maybe a slight springy feeling, but solid. The clip seems a bit flimsy, but actually appears to be more resiliant than you might believe. I was pulling it out to see what it would take to deform, and any reasonable amount of usage shouldn't ruin it. I still prefer the lanyard ring, so I put that on.

I like the UI, seems to cover quite a bit of preference, with the combination of momentary on, 4 levels, and the tactical lock feature.

One suggestion I have on the tactical lock feature may be this:

Have it so when the tactical lock feature is turned on, a partial depress and hold is still able to cycle through the 4 brightnes levels, and if depressed and held on a particular level for greater than one second, and then fully depressed and clicked, have it stay on this brightness. However if the button is fully depressed and clicked on in less than one second, it automatically goes to the brightness set by the tactical lock.

I think this would give those that want dual usage the convenience of not having to remove the tactical lock for casual use or tasks, but still having the immediate brightness level of their choice in short notice.

Or possibly make this feature yet another UI feature that can be turned on or off if the tactical lock is turned on.

Anyways, nice light; I ended up choosing this over the Quark 123 XPG and I'm happy with my choice!

DM51

Flashaholic

The finish is equal to your ... huh?? :duh2:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL >tee hee< Yes, I know, I'm like 12 yo....

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

I feel compelled to put in a good word for this light.

I got one of the LE versions, and as you may have read, had quite a surprise with the original stock reflector. (I'm convinced someone in the shop installed the wrong reflectors in these initially...sort of a Friday afternoon special. :devil: )

Well, that was promptly corrected by Ricky and with the correct reflector, this light has a nice smooth beam. VERY bright on an RCR, but ho-hum (though very useful) on a primary. Fit and finish is very good, probably the best I've seen from LP. Great knurling. Nice clicky feel. We'll have to see how durable it is, but I think it will make great pocket light.

Now, if LP would just put a neutral tint XP-G in it...