Titanium Quark 123 X 2 Heat Issue

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have carried a Quark 123 X 2 Titanium (XP-G R5) in my jacket since the day it arrived. Mostly I have used it for play or show or for short searches and almost always on high.

Today the overhead fluorescent fixture right over my work desk in the storage room of my lab died when I was too busy to call maintenance and have them bring in ladders etc so I used my Quark in tailstanding mode on high bouncing off of the ceiling to give some added illumination. It did help. There are other fixtures in there so it wasn't like I was in pitch darkness.

Anyway I had the Quark on for about 15 minutes while I finished up and I noticed that the head got very hot but the body remained cool.

Is there any way to increase heat transfer from the head to the body? I don't want to toast the LED.

Is this a quirk of the Quark titanium model or does the aluminum Quark have the same problem?

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 123-2 aluminum Quarks transfer heat fine to the body. I have noticed that the 123 aluminum Quark seems to get hotter much quicker. I'm assuming because it has less mass. I think your problem is nature of the beast because it's made of titanium. I would say put AS5 on the threads where the head screws on, but that's where the negative contact point is made (between the head and body) when you loosen the bezel for the secondary modes, and if you put AS5 there, it would be like having a very dirty contact, so I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe someone has a good idea for you.

Last edited:

khaosduke

Newly Enlightened
I have the regular aluminum Quark 123^2. Today my light turned on in my side cargo pocket by accident. I hadn't noticed it till I looked in my pocket, it was there for about 20 minutes and the light was so hot I couldn't touch it right off. I turned it off and in a few seconds I could touch it. It took quite some time for it to cool off completely! Is that even normal? The light turned on at max :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you doing this on high or turbo? The light maybe fine either way, but since it's a titanium light I'd hesitate to tail stand it and leave it on turbo for any length of time. I limit the use of turbo, and when I use it I hold it in my hand to help absorb heat away from the head.

strinq

Enlightened
I have the regular aluminum Quark 123^2. Today my light turned on in my side cargo pocket by accident. I hadn't noticed it till I looked in my pocket, it was there for about 20 minutes and the light was so hot I couldn't touch it right off. I turned it off and in a few seconds I could touch it. It took quite some time for it to cool off completely! Is that even normal? The light turned on at max :)

Yes it's normal.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either kill the battery and risk ruining the light with the battery acid, or burn out the bulb... that's a rough one recDNA... One of the main reasons I sold all my titanium lights too was that I wanted to run my lights for a long time without worrying about the poor heat issue with Titanium lights... Only thing I could think of is run it on a lower mode... which sucks because I love running my lights on the highest mode. The "fun" blinding mode lol

recDNA

Flashaholic
Are you doing this on high or turbo? The light maybe fine either way, but since it's a titanium light I'd hesitate to tail stand it and leave it on turbo for any length of time. I limit the use of turbo, and when I use it I hold it in my hand to help absorb heat away from the head.

Quark has no "Turbo" mode. Fenix does. They call high "Max". I use the word "high" to refer to the highest mode a flashlight produces. I wish manufacturers would do the same. So I guess the answer to your question is "max".