SST-50 vs p7 or mce?

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I have an sst50 light on the way , I know that is puts out light comperable to both the p7 and the mce, but it is not a 4dye led correct? Can someone explain the difference in the sst and the 4 dye lights. How is it able to produce as much light, is it just surface area? I know these are probably stupid questions to the techies out their, someone explain it to the dumdums.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert but it does have a larger surface area and is able to handle more current as well so at 5A as I recall it can output 1200 lumens.

P7 and MC-E can't be driven that hard. They are slightly older technology as well having come out first.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Yes, I would imagine that the total area of the single die for the SST-50 is similar to the area of all 4 separate dies added together in the P7 or MCE.

In my experience the P7 and MCE are still very viable alternatives so the SST-50.

There is not much to choose efficiency-wise between the highest ranking bins of each of these leds.

I've seen quite a few posts saying that SST-50s are in fact less efficient than P7s or MCEs but I think this is because the SST-50s started off with less efficient bins than are available now.

The premium-bin SST-50s in some of my 18650 lights compare very similarly to the M-bin MCEs in similar lights with the same driver in terms of output and runtime.

SST-50s do have the advantage of usually producing a more intense hotspot without a "donut" because of their single-die.