A Mini Review of Olight T20-Q5 Light

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
I just received the Olight T20-Q5 flashlight today.

olight_resized.gif

The first thing that surprised me was that it is a small(ish) light! I was expecting a larger and bulkier light.

It measures 124.7 mm long x 24.4 mm diameter at the head (bezel).

Overall the finish/anodizing is of good quality. However, there is minor damage on end of the head.

olight_head_resized.gif

There is very minor damage on the tail end also.

olight_tail_resized.gif

But as these marks are only minor, they have little affect on the overall quality of the light.

The light feels solid and fairly well built but not heavy. Light weighs 70 g without batteries.

Runs on two primary lithiums (CR123), or two rechargeable li Ions (RCR123) / 16340, or one 17670 or 14670 Li Ion.

Batteries inserted with positive end facing towards the head.

Tail clicky switch is recessed so light can tail stand.

After switching the light on, pressing the switch lightly (half press), cycles illumination modes from constant, strobe, and SOS. Each light press on the switch cycles through the modes.

Five brightness levels are available. Levels are selected by unscrewing the head slightly and then rescrewing the head. Each operation of unscrewing/rescrewing the head steps brightness DOWN one level, and then recycles from lowest to brightest level again etc.. Light defaults to maximum brightness level when first switched on, but remembers last level when light is switched off (and remembers level even when batteries are removed). :twothumbs Last level used will again operate when light is switched back on.

I used several batteries for a quick test of this light. The primary CR123 batteries went into the light easily. The light worked flawlessly with a pleasant warmish toned beam almost without artifacts. There was a very minor dark spot within the beams' hotspot, but is only noticeable when shining the beam on a light colored wall. Very minor rings within the spill beam, but again only really noticeable on light colored walls.

The two CR123 sized 3V (yes 3 volt) rechargeable Li Ion batteries also worked quite well in the light, but on one odd occasion while wanting to change brightness level, the light went into strobe mode!?

I tried using AWs' 17670 1600mAh Li Ion batteries, but they were difficult to fit into the light due to their larger diameter. I had to remove the labels from the batteries to allow an easier but still a tight fit! Light switched on OK to last level used. However, trying to change brightness levels caused the light to go into strobe mode :duh2:. Another attempt at changing brightness level then made the light go into SOS mode!! Then the light went back to constant mode on another level change attempt. And again the light went back to strobe mode after another level change attempt!!? :confused: :thinking:

The light was now changing modes (which is normally done by pressing the tail clicky switch ONLY) instead of changing levels!?

I swapped out the 17670 batteries for the primary batteries, and the light worked normally again!

I suspect that the batteries within the light have to have freedom of movement along the tube while changing brightness levels in order for the levels to be changed successfully. The primary CR123 and RCR123 batteries could slide in and out of the lights tube fairly easily, but the 17670 batteries could not due to their size and consequent snug fit.

olight__batteries_resized.gif

For reference, measured battery diameters were -

CR123's - 16.3 mm
RC123's - 16.5 mm
17670 - one was 16.9 mm, other was 17.2 mm!

So it would appear that brightness changes are only possible with batteries that have freedom of movement along the lights tube.

Sorry that there are no beamshots (yet). I may add these later.

Although I have equipment for generating runtimes, it is not quite setup, and I don't have much free time. But if I get the chance I may add runtimes later.

The (apparent) requirement for batteries to have freedom of movement along the lights tube while changing brightness levels is not the best method I believe. Perhaps incorporating level changes using the clicky switch would be more practical, regardless of whether batteries are free to move or not within the light.

Overall it is a good light. Whether I'll keep it or not, I don't know yet. I have other lights coming, and depending on their performance, they may cause the T20-Q5 light to become surplus, in which case I'll sell the T20.

BillG

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the review. i've had one for ~1.5yrs. use it every night at work for maybe 15-20 min. has held up well so far. i am quite pleased with it.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Great review meeshu, thanks for your time and effort.
Glad to see the 2 x Li-ion option for the T25.
The flashlight I'm looking forward to is the SR50 Intimidator, only a couple of months away for it's release.

P.S I'm surprised to see a smooth tailcap boot on your T20, is there sufficient traction/grip?

Last edited:

meeshu

Enlightened
. . . I'm surprised to see a smooth tailcap boot on your T20, is there sufficient traction/grip?

The grip is quite good actually! It is unlikely that your finger will slip.

I'm still testing the light by using it outdoors at night. At minimum brightness level, I can see objects up to about 50'. The light has a more spot oriented beam, so it has more throw rather than spread.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the T20 T which I like very much.

You might be interested to know that the SureFire F04 diffuser fits the T20, so you can have a nice, five-level floody beam, as well as the throwy tight-hotspot beam of the stock T20.

meeshu

Enlightened
Interesting! Thanks for that information!!

I'm presently attempting to generate runtimes, starting from lowest output (longest run time) and working up to maximum output. Runtimes will likely take nearly a week to complete, as low outputs can run continuously for several days!

lightake

Banned
Thanks for the review, i didn't used the olight before ,but i think it must be a good flashlight!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for review meeshu. It's an older light, but still quite serviceable by modern standards.

I never did a stand-alone review of the T20-Q5, but I have included runtimes on all batteries in my Olight I-Series Round-Up Review. Just scroll down to the I20 section to see all the T20 data.

I was unable to get my protected AW 17670 batteries to fit (even with the label off), so had to use 14670 for the runtimes. I didn't experience any mode switching issue, so I suspect the problem you experienced may somehow be related to the poor fit as you suggest.

It's a nice little light - sort of a Fenix P3D competitor, due to its current-controlled set of modes.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight T20-Q5 was the first LED light I purchased right when I joined CPF. I had been using SureFire Incand up to that point. I was very pleased with the light and was surprised at just how bright it was compared to my incand lights. I gave this light to my brother in law a few months ago and he is also enjoying it since it's still going strong.

Bill