Stronger LED bulb for Spiderfire X666?

grimmah

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im completely new to the tactical flashlight hobby, and i have what might be considered a newbie question, but hoping people will give me a good response. I hope i put this in the right sub-forum.

Im pondering buying a Spiderfire X666 flashligt for my airsoft rifle, and i have previously a couple of other brands, namely a G&P T6, and a Hugsby M2. These have 150 lumen and 240 lumen respectivly.

Im looking for an unusual look, and more lumen, and the X666 caught my eye. It comes with stated 295 lumen bulb, but as ive understood it, chinese brands often exxagerate the actual lumen.

What i would ideally want, would be around 5-600 actual lumens in this flashlight, but i have no idea, how drop-ins are made, i upgraded my Hugsby from 170 to 240, and the seller said that was the maximum for the Hugsby one.

Is it simply that the stronger lumen, the more room it takes in a drop in, and making the actual drop in not fit into a certain flashlight body? Ive noticed that stronger lumens usually show up in larger diameter flashlights.

So to put it simply, can i upgrade a Spiderfire X666 with ready made drop ins, or would it take modifying the electronics etc?

Thanks and best regards,
grimm

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll want a high output drop in, then... I assume it is a standard P60 drop in (does it say that anywhere?), so basically any other P60 compatible drop in will work...

This isn't really a mod, so wrong forum. Take a look at these threads:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/271519
and
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217252

For the output you're loking for, you'll need to go custom. Try Nailbander's thread in the Buy/Sell/Trade Subforum. You'll need either a P7/MC-E based drop in with a 2.8amp driver, or an SST50 drop in with a higher current driver. Yes it'll be expensive, but as the mechanic in Mad Max said, "Speed is a matter of money, how fast do you want to go?" The same holds true for lights.

With such high current draws (greater than 3Amps from the batteries) you'll most likely need a rechargeable battery set up.

Your light uses CR123's, yes? 2 of them? Then a 17670 Lithium ion battery should fit no problem. Check out AW's thread in the Marketplace. You'll then need protected 17670 cells, a good Li-ion charger (read: expensive) and a Digital Multi-meter to check cell voltage. You'll also need to read some threads on the pro's, con's and dangers of Li-ion batteries, and understand the risks you're taking with such a system. Not to scare you, but Li-ion cells don't like to be mis-treated, and when they are tend to explode violently (Ok, it's not an actual explosion, but an extremely fast, fire filled venting, usually when recharging).

If you're willing to go for less than 400 lumens (which is still very bright) then check out Malkoffdevices.com. The Malkoff M61 is an XP-G based drop-in, with very good regulation, that is of extremely good quality. It will be able to use the standard CR123's, without any other modifications.

grimmah

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the informative reply, but unfortunatly, the malkoff you recommended seem sold out.

Either way i have not yet gotten this flashlight, so im not sure it is one of these P60 you mention..

Regardless, i think thats the way i need to go, im not willing to go into modifications i know nothing about.

Thanks and regards,
grimm