What to do with my Surefire 6P

wbyrd

Newly Enlightened
I'm tired of buying 123 batteries for this thing and would really like to get some more power out of it. I'm considering replacing the bulb with an LED and would like to use rechargeable batteries. I've been searching this site trying to get ideas but with so much information and me not really knowing the different terminology I end up just getting lost.

I think I've got it narrowed down to using a THRUNITE P60 Style Cree XP-G R5 LED Drop In and Ultrafire 18650 batteries. With this combination I know I will need to mill my surefire to accept the batteries, is this something I can do myself or is there some type of step I may miss by just enlarging the hole? And can I use the stock head from my light or is there a modification that's needed to that as well? Would it be best to just buy a new head? What about my stock tailcap, it's not a clicky, just a pressure switch. Would this still work or would I need a new?

Anyone care to make some other recommendations? Don't hesitate to let me know if I just missed everything by a mile and this combination won't work!

Thanks.

wbyrd

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I put down the wrong battery. I'm actually looking at the Trustfire batteries, vpn 20392 from DX.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Also consider a P90 bulb and IMR16340's. I run this combo in my Z2 and it is great.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a generic R2 drop-in with a 17670. That way, I didn't have to bore out the 6P. Just make sure your drop-in works with up to 4.2V and it will work with a single Li-Ion. If you see a drop-in labeled 4.2V-8.4V, it is meant to be used with two Li-Ion cells.

One thing to note: one of my drop-ins doesn't have an undervoltage cutout, so it overdischarged one of my 17670's (When I say that "It" overdischarged my cell, I really mean that I didn't check it for a while, my fault not the flashlight's)

Kindle

Enlightened
I think I've got it narrowed down to using a THRUNITE P60 Style Cree XP-G R5 LED Drop In and Ultrafire 18650 batteries.

I have the Thrunite. It is well built & you should be very happy with it.

And can I use the stock head from my light or is there a modification that's needed to that as well? Would it be best to just buy a new head?

The stock head will work fine as is.

The only modification you will need to make is to remove the outer spring from the LED drop-in. You won't need to do anything to the head at all.

What about my stock tailcap, it's not a clicky, just a pressure switch. Would this still work or would I need a new?

If you are getting the single mode you're golden. If you are going with the multi-mode you might want to look at a clicky.

Anyone care to make some other recommendations? Don't hesitate to let me know if I just missed everything by a mile and this combination won't work!

Be prepared to be inundated with recommendations for Malkoff & Nailbender drop-ins. :D

Your combination will work perfectly. Just make sure that you get the drop-in that will match the voltage of your set up.

Last edited:

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I recently modded a 6P. I bored it out for 18650 using sandpaper on a dowel. It took a while, but it's a pretty easy job. You gotta be careful boring out the 6P, as the area under the tailcap o-ring would get very thin if you bored using a 3/4" drill bit. Virtually all 18650 batteries are WIDER than 18mm.

Here's a good thread that talks about boring and also gives measurements of 18650 batteries: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273798

I used a Nailbender SST-90 direct drive single-mode drop-in. It is crazy bright, but has a huge hotspot. If you want a tighter hotspot (more throw), I'd get the SST-50. (I am gonna do a SST-50 6P soon)

I used a McClicky+Brass tailcap, but your stock one will probably work OK.

Take your time and ask lots of questions, so you end up with what you want.

-

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Good link there by Chevy-SS. :thumbsup:

Make sure that if you bore it yourself that you leave a small retaining lip (i.e. a ledge) at the head end of the host for the drop-in to rest in - don't bore the 18.4-18.6 mm hole completely through the body. This will ensure positive electrical contact between the drop-in and the host body, and will stop the 18650 from sliding out the head end when you change drop-ins - a pretty convenient feature.

Good luck,

Edit: A friend of mine made a light body without that ledge and the electrical contact to the LED drop-in is inconsistent.

Last edited:

wbyrd

Newly Enlightened
Would it make more sense to leave my Surefire as is and just buy a new flashlight that already has the drop in I want and accepts the 18650 battery? If I leave the Surefire as is can I use the 16340 rechargeable batteries? I've already got the P61 bulb for it which is pretty bright but it just burns through the 123 batteries. If the 16340 will work will I get better run time out of them?

sappyg

Enlightened
Would it make more sense to leave my Surefire as is and just buy a new flashlight that already has the drop in I want and accepts the 18650 battery? If I leave the Surefire as is can I use the 16340 rechargeable batteries? I've already got the P61 bulb for it which is pretty bright but it just burns through the 123 batteries. If the 16340 will work will I get better run time out of them?

personally i would leave the 6P as is. the P60 bulb will not handle the 16340 IIRC... not sure about the P61.

if you really like the 18650 battery then then why not buy a host that can handle it?

sappyg

Enlightened
The P90 bulb from surefire? It doesn't show as being available for the 6P.

it is the way to go in a 6P running RCR batteries if you are going incan. it is like having a 9p in a 6p host..... very impressive too... you can pick them up on the bay pretty cheap.

BTW.... run time on RCR,s will be less but it's no biggy

wbyrd

Newly Enlightened
personally i would leave the 6P as is. the P60 bulb will not handle the 16340 IIRC... not sure about the P61.

if you really like the 18650 battery then then why not buy a host that can handle it?

This is what I'm really leaning towards right now. In the long run I'm thinking it will be cheaper to buy a new light than to keep replacing 123 batteries...

wbyrd

Newly Enlightened
it is the way to go in a 6P running RCR batteries if you are going incan. it is like having a 9p in a 6p host..... very impressive too... you can pick them up on the bay pretty cheap.

BTW.... run time on RCR,s will be less but it's no biggy

Ahh ... I see .... very nice, thank you...

treadmarks

Newly Enlightened
I have a few 6P bodies and have been looking for a killer set up for a few weeks now.

I am going to try to stay with the 123 batts because I have quite a few devices that use them.

If you stay with 123's, Nailbender makes a killer sst90 drop in for 80 bucks and when cooupled with a McClicky Brass+ puts out a boat load of light.

Good luck with your quest.:thumbsup:

JCD

Enlightened
Also consider a P90 bulb and IMR16340's. I run this combo in my Z2 and it is great.

Additionally, using IMR16340 cells allows use of the SureFire P91 lamp assembly. Runtime is short, but it is very bright for such a small light. I have my SureFire C2 set up in this configuration.

Brigadier

Enlightened

The P60 and the P61 are 6V lamps - therefore CR123 primaries only!!!

To use the IMR16340's use the P90 or P91 bulb or any of the '9V' D26 LF lamp assemblies.

Brigadier

Enlightened

Using the IMR16340's and P61 will :poof:. Trust me, the P90 and IMR16340's is a great combo, and I get 40 minutes of very consistent[output] runtime.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Listen to guy. :thumbsup:
(Edit: For a high-powered incan setup, that is. For an LED setup, different (& long) story, maybe a top-quality LED drop-in by Malkoff, Anto, or Nailbender...?)

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
If you think you might have a use for it, I'd suggest buying an M60LF from Malkoff (on sale now at $39) for the 6P. Nice bright 140 lumens flood, with long run time at full output (4+ hours). Use it as a general purpose/glove box light with primaries/rechargeables of your choice. IMO, it's a very good use for that host without breaking the bank.

Then, put together a purpose-built light to your other specs.

Just a thought...

Latest posts