Wicked Lasers 445nm <1W Spyder III Pro Arctic Series

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Wicked Lasers 445nm 1W(!) portable deathray

And only $228?! This creates a whole new level of applications; it's definitely powerful enough to kill insects, for example..

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I found this part interesting:
Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection. [...]
Wow.

Last edited:

Per-Sev

Enlightened

I can see it now a bunch of blind kids running around with no fingers and burn holes all over there body's. Just kidding but the way they advertise it if you break the beam with your skin it will burn you and you must where special glasses what about when you want to show your friends you would need glasses for everyone or you could blind them. They should include more than one pair of glasses with them just to be safe. I like it though I wonder how far away it will take out a fly?

TheFathomlessBlue

Newly Enlightened

I just ordered one. It will be stored in my gun safe, becasue it is about as dangerous as a hand gun. But I figure they can't be allowed to sell these long before a lawsuit suits them down. I will post when it shows up.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

I just ordered one.

wellplayed.jpg

Get plenty of photos and burn test results, it'll be a very popular thread..

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just ordered one. It will be stored in my gun safe, becasue it is about as dangerous as a hand gun. But I figure they can't be allowed to sell these long before a lawsuit suits them down. I will post when it shows up.
A 1-watt laser won't kill anyone, it'll just (permanently) blind and cause small burns, and maybe cancer several years after exposure. The scary part is that reflections and even scattered light from this laser can overwhelm the retina and damage it.

TheFathomlessBlue

Newly Enlightened

Yeah but with a 1watt laser this cheap and availalbe some one will do something stupid and the next thing you know Sanjay Gupta will have a special on CNN about it and the feds wil shut Wicked down...

My 50mw unit I picked up a few years ago is a neat toy...

http://img532.imageshack.us/i/auction001am9.flv/http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/7126/auction001am9.flv

This thing is a freakin weapon. But it would be the buy of a century if it is what they claim it is.

Last edited:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened

I JUST BOUGHT ONE

VIDEO REVIEW PENDING

Omg, I can't wait.

Just last week I bought a 500mW 532nm (green) Viasho RPL. I would love to see how these two monsters compare.

... it's definitely powerful enough to kill insects, for example..

Insects? More like small rodents! :devil:

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Fun video idea: get a block of dry ice and see if the laser can cut it in half (outdoors), should be quite the volcanic show..

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened

I JUST BOUGHT ONE

VIDEO REVIEW PENDINGUpdates

Omg, I can't wait.

Just last week I bought a 500mW 532nm (green) Viasho RPL. I would love to see how these two monster compare.

Insects? More like small rodents!
:huh:Updates please!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

A search for the WickedLasers "Arctic" revealed the source of the diode was the Casio GreenSlim ultra-portable projector. Uses both blue lasers and red LEDs plus some fluorescent material on a color wheel that produces green light when exposed to the blue laser's radiation. Rated 2500ansi lumens.

http://www.superslimprojector.com/features

The projector itself costs a grand but further reading found out that it doesn't just have one diode, it has an array of 24.

Now if you take the unit apart, tilt out the array, and bypass the interlocks.......

ejot

Enlightened

It really scares me that something this powerful so accessible. The word has spread very quickly, it's up on Gizmodo now, etc. Someone is going to get hurt.

Showed one of my colleagues this morning and he immediately ordered two. :devil:

I *think* I just ordered one but no email confirmation. Tried calling them to check on the order and, after 45min on hold, finally got to talk to someone who was able to tell me....

wait for it ....

" We're swamped. Our system is down. Can't tell you anything. Sorry. "

IdeaRat

Newly Enlightened

Also on order. Got 2 sets of glasses in case I'd actually like to show someone. (might want to put the glasses in front of the camera to be safe too ) Got the order confirmation email, so presumably it went through.

Didn't read until later that if you put in the coupon code WLSURVEY you can get 5% off. They give you the coupon code after your order.

Time to stock up on a gross of black balloons.

W.Y.N.I

Newly Enlightened

Jesus, the Metro? Either they just googled lasers and found this place or someone on their staff is a closet flashaholic...

But seriously, its beginning to make national news here in the UK now, so its just a matter of time until it gets brought down by a media pressured legal case. Personally, I can see how peoples gut reaction would be to be scared at such an advanced and effective weapon being available so cheaply. However, there are many websites openly marketing and selling weapons for much less. I cant really foresee a day I arrest someone for carrying one of these, but before I retire I imagine I shall be finding many more swords, hatchets, knives, guns etc etc etc

jellydonut

Enlightened

People usually are neo-luddites if they don't allow themselves to think. People probably told the dudes who came up with fire, the wheel, the steam engine and the digital computer that what they were doing was too dangerous for man to handle.

In the mean time automobiles and kitchen knives continue to be vastly more lethal and maiming than this laser.:rolleyes: