Updated- Hotspot on the Quark AA2 Tactical

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Quark AA2 Tactical

As you can see, something has gone wrong with your photos. Please read up on how to post images correctly and then remedy the problem, or there will be no point in this thread remaining here.

PolarBearX

Newly Enlightened

that's awesome, I just got my warm AA2 tac yesterday, and promptly turned it into an AA tac running a single 14500

How do you like the tactical UI so far?

PBX

aL01

Newly Enlightened

that's awesome, I just got my warm AA2 tac yesterday, and promptly turned it into an AA tac running a single 14500

How do you like the tactical UI so far?

PBX

I like the Tactical UI a lot, I originally ordered the Regular AA2, but immediately exchanged it for the Tactical for its' simplicity and ease of use...I use 'max' output 99.99% of the time (even if med or high would do), so cycling through the modes, even if it's just max->strobe->max... was a pita, besides, the 3-second delay before the mode resets itself that was mentioned in the specs (bezel=tight) was more like 8-9 seconds, making it difficult for me to work with-

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

OK, the photos are showing now - but they are too large. Please resize them to comply with Rule 3.

PolarBearX

Newly Enlightened

I read so much negative on the tactical UI that I only ordered one because the warm tint I wanted didn't come in a regular UI...a lucky break cuz I like the tactical, and max is also my favorite level.

I have a regular QAA2 neutral on order, might have to switch...I wasn't aware of the delay issue you mentioned on the regular, I could read up I guess, unless you wouldn't mind a further explanation.

PBX

I like the Tactical UI a lot, I originally ordered the Regular AA2, but immediately exchanged it for the Tactical for its' simplicity and ease of use...I use 'max' output 99.99% of the time (even if med or high would do), so cycling through the modes, even if it's just max->strobe->max... was a pita, besides, the 3-second delay before the mode resets itself that was mentioned in the specs (bezel=tight) was more like 8-9 seconds, making it difficult for me to work with-

aL01

Newly Enlightened

I have a regular QAA2 neutral on order, might have to switch...I wasn't aware of the delay issue you mentioned on the regular, I could read up I guess, unless you wouldn't mind a further explanation.

PBX

With the Regular Quark AA2, in 'Tightened Bezel' Mode (MAX-> STROBE), once it's turned off, it's supposed to revert to the first level of output in the sequence in 'at least 3-seconds' (in Tightened Bezel Mode, that would be MAX) . Mine took 8-9 seconds. That does not sound like a lot, but when I turned it off, and then needed to turn it back on a few seconds later for whatever reason (working on my pc's), it would be in STROBE output...unless I waited at least 8-9 seconds...

The Quark AA2 Tactical is either on-or-off in both 'Tight Bezel' & 'Loose Bezel', and both can be programmed to the one output level of your choice-

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Quark AA2 Tactical is either on-or-off in both 'Tight Bezel' & 'Loose Bezel', and both can be programmed to the one output level of your choice-
That's why I went with Tactical. If you aren't in programming mode, there's no question how it will turn on (Unless you get preflash). Mine sometimes flashes, but that's why God gave me two hands.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations on the new AA^2. Though it has nothing to do with the quality of the light, the 4Sevens packaging sure is pretty! :)

aL01

Newly Enlightened

That's why I went with Tactical. If you aren't in programming mode, there's no question how it will turn on (Unless you get preflash). Mine sometimes flashes, but that's why God gave me two hands.

I haven't noticed any preflash so far-

Congratulations on the new AA^2. Though it has nothing to do with the quality of the light, the 4Sevens packaging sure is pretty! :)

Yes it is!

PolarBearX

Newly Enlightened

thank you, that helped!

..and for those who say you get preflash, I noticed if I turn it off while on max, then twist the head to a lower setting while off, when I click it back on it'll flash the max setting before taking the lesser setting, like memory, or is that different than the "preflash" mentioned

PBX

With the Regular Quark AA2, in 'Tightened Bezel' Mode (MAX-> STROBE), once it's turned off, it's supposed to revert to the first level of output in the sequence in 'at least 3-seconds' (in Tightened Bezel Mode, that would be MAX) . Mine took 8-9 seconds. That does not sound like a lot, but when I turned it off, and then needed to turn it back on a few seconds later for whatever reason (working on my pc's), it would be in STROBE output...unless I waited at least 8-9 seconds...

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quarks are probably the best value for money light on the planet at the moment.

Is yours the R5 version? I have the older version with the R2 and it throws like a beast (95% of what my Nitecore SR3 can). Just wondering about the XP-G's as they are said to not throw as much.

One negative about the Quarks, they should have come with a spare rubber boot switch instead of that floppy piece of rubber they call a hand grip :thumbsdow.
Otherwise there is nothing to fault with the tactical series.

PapaGary

Newly Enlightened

..and for those who say you get preflash, I noticed if I turn it off while on max, then twist the head to a lower setting while off, when I click it back on it'll flash the max setting before taking the lesser setting, like memory, or is that different than the "preflash" mentioned
Yep, that's "preflash".

aL01

Newly Enlightened

Quarks are probably the best value for money light on the planet at the moment.

Is yours the R5 version? I have the older version with the R2 and it throws like a beast (95% of what my Nitecore SR3 can). Just wondering about the XP-G's as they are said to not throw as much.

One negative about the Quarks, they should have come with a spare rubber boot switch instead of that floppy piece of rubber they call a hand grip :thumbsdow.
Otherwise there is nothing to fault with the tactical series.

I agree, they are an excellent value...I definitely like the Tactical UI, and the looks of the Quark AA2 is a plus++
-mine's the R5

Last edited:

aL01

Newly Enlightened

I have a question, although I'm a noob to the flashlight jargon/terminology, I will try to explain;

The first Quark AA2s' beam that I ordered had a clearly defined and concentric 'hot spot' when shined on a wall, just like the photos I see on CandlePowerForums, which was the main reason I ordered a Quark; however, the Quark AA2 Tacticals' 'hotspot' (sent as a replacement) has no concisely defined and concentric 'hotspot'...the center of its' beam, although brighter, appears to 'diffuse' into the spill (if that is what it's called?), much like an incandescent beam would look like, without any noticible dark spots or artifacts....

The interesting thing is, if I photograph the beam on the wall, in the viewfinder and jpg, the 'hotspot' is more like it should be, but not to my 'naked' eye...whereas the first Quark I had, I could see the 'hotspot' on the wall with my 'naked' eye, and it looked just like the perfect beam in the photos on CPF-

Am I unreasonable for wanting the same beam that I see in those CPF photos, on my Quark Tactical? Thanks-

Last edited:

shark_za

Enlightened

The first Quark AA2s' beam that I ordered had a clearly defined and concentric 'hot spot' when shined on a wall, just like the photos I see on CandlePowerForums, which was the main reason I ordered a Quark; however, the Quark AA2 Tacticals' 'hotspot' (sent as a replacement) has no concisely defined and concentric 'hotspot'...

It sounds to me like the first Quark you had was equipped with a XP-E R2 LED and the new one has a XP-G R5.

This is the characteristic of the XP-G, its more floody and less focussed.
Quark has switched to the XP-G for all their models, they still have a few XP-E ones on clearance sale (R2 and Q3 NW's)