LE Duty Light Beamshot Comparison! *Lots of Pics*

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
I originally posted this on non-flashaholic forums, but thought some of you may enjoy the pics... I quoted some of the runtimes/lumens from memory so I apologize if I'm wrong! (I also mislabeled a MD3 body as a MD2.)

So I have been acquiring some of the "best of" new super duper LED flashlights that have been coming out lately and decided to do some beamshot comparisons between old standards and new ones. There are a lot of new lights out there but my choices are generally based on quality, reliability, and a tactical duty UI that gives you the light level you want with minimal fuss. This is harder to find than you might think with the flood of lights out there… Tailcaps are either twisty or momentary clicky.

Streamlight SL20X - The old standard!

Surefire 6P/P60 - Another old standard!

Surefire X300 – A new standard

Surefire M6 HOLA – Not a duty light with such battery eating short runtime, but a "brightest in class" incandescent light for comparison

Malkoff Wildcat MD3 v2
- 2x18500 batteries used for beamshots, long and short battery options
- 750 OTF lumens High (75mins rechargeable or 3x123 primary)
- 50 lumens Low (15++ hours?)
- Head loosen for low, tight for high
- Incredible build quality

Olight M30
- 2x18500 batteries used for beamshots, lots of long & short battery options!
- 550ish OTF lumens high (~90min rechargeable or 4x123 primary)
- 120 lumen medium (~9 hours)
- 9 lumen low (90 hours)
- STROBE! Side button always activates strobe from OFF
- Rear clicky & side switch for changing modes
- Well built, but not to SF or Malkoff standards

Malkoff M60W Warm Tint SF drop in
- 170ish lumens for 2 hours with 2x123 primary
- Warm tint for better color rendiditon

Malkoff M60W MC-E Warm Tint SF drop in
- 400+ lumen specialty super flood bulb
- ~60 mins runtime using 2x18500 rechargeable

Olight M21
- 400+ lumen floody for 60min using 18650 rechargeable
- High/Medium/Low/Strobe modes changed by twisting head
- Great short light for indoor and outdoor use

Olight M20
- 320 lumens for 2+ hours using 18650 rechargeable
- High/Medium/Low/Strobe modes changed by twisting head (Have a new model with side switch like M30 now too)
- Tight beam with lots of throw. Would be a great weapon mounted light using primaries

Quark 2x123 Tactical Neutral Tint v1
- 170+ lumens for 75+ minutes using 2x123 primary
- Using 17670 rechargeable for beamshot which has similar runtime
- 8 light levels programmable, but only 2 available at any one time via head loose or tight. Very positive and tactical!
- The best value in a small tactical light available, in my own humble opinion.

Let's start with a beamshot compilation of the main lights... The railing & trees are 30' away and all pics were taken at 1/5, 4.0, 800. Overall the pics came out a bit brighter than my eye perceived, so remember these are for comparison purposes. Some things to note are the edges of the flood, the smoothness of the flood, and the brightness of the center spot. Look at the top of each pic for close up flood.

Compilation.jpg

And the light line up...
AllTopCropxLabels.jpg

AllSideCropxLabels.jpg

And lots of full size shots!

Ambientx.jpg

High Power Lights
SL20Xx.jpg

MD3WildcatHighx.jpg

MD3WildcatLowx.jpg

OlightM30Highx.jpg

OlightM30Mediumx.jpg

SF_M6x.jpg

Warm Tinted SF 6P sized Lights
SFP60x.jpg

M60Wx.jpg

Quark2x123NeutralV1x.jpg

Floody Lights
MD3M60MCEx.jpg

OlightM21x.jpg

Throwy Lights
SFX300x.jpg

OlightM20R2x.jpg

Some conclusions...

I have been carrying an Olight M30 for awhile now with no real issues except that it does take a bit of work to make sure it is always in the mode I want. (high!) The instant strobe function is useful, but it's not like the side button is easy to find in an emergency.

I just got the Malkoff Wildcat and started carrying it. It is simpler to operate, built like a tank, but it puts out a LOT of light and is really only for use in addition to my X300 and SF A2L. I don't think I could carry it as my ONLY light option.

The Olight M21 and M20 are great all around choices with 18650 rechargeable battery support and great runtimes with various modes that are accessible but won't accidently activate.

Of course, Malkoff drop-ins are always great choices with various models that can all be used in your existing SF lights.

Hope this helps someone and just doesn't make your eyes glaze over with flashlight geekiness There are a lot of choices but with a little work maybe you can find what you need!

Dennis.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent work!

That HOLA sure is beautiful!

The thought of using my MD3 has been crossing my mind lately... but it's so pretty! :kiss: :laughing:

ToNIX

Enlightened
I'll try to post some pics of my MD2/M61 vs my Fenix TK11 with a small review later this week.

After using the MD2 for the first time yesterday (and boy did I had to use it!), it's a keeper. The TK11 will end up as a backup in the patrol bag :D

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original Quark 123x2 neutral, xp-e Q3 5A, was about 150 lumens.
The cool xp-e R2 123x2 was 190.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
great beam shot comparisons

Vesper

Enlightened
Great shots - those are some of the most usable real-life type photos I've seen. I'm constantly blown away by the lights from Malkoff. Thanks for posting these. Now I want a Wildcat.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Great shots - those are some of the most usable real-life type photos I've seen. I'm constantly blown away by the lights from Malkoff. Thanks for posting these. Now I want a Wildcat.

Thanks everyone, just wanted to see for myself and figured I might as well share!

Dennis.