E2D head exploded, need replacement

gary kendall

Newly Enlightened
2 or 3 years ago, my E2D exploded. I have the tailcap, body, head. I need the lens and bulb assembly.
What replacement parts does the forum recommend? I would like to upgrade to LED, use as gen purpose, and maybe weapon light.

Thank you

chef4850

Enlightened
If it is a surefire I would contact them. They will probally take care of it for you. If it is just the bulb (incan) I am sure you would probally be on your own.

Chef

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 or 3 years ago, my E2D exploded. I have the tailcap, body, head. I need the lens and bulb assembly.
What replacement parts does the forum recommend? I would like to upgrade to LED, use as gen purpose, and maybe weapon light.

Thank you

What do you exactly mean by it exploded? That's scary.:faint:

I know this is your first post, but here are a few common verdicts for exploding flashlights:

-The lithium batteries vented hot gases due to voltage sag in one battery. This is common when low quality batteries are used (Made in China) or when old and new batteries are mixed.
-The bulb shattered inside and blew out the front lens
-The light was dropped

...and yes, pictures would help a lot. =)

Last edited:

gary kendall

Newly Enlightened
I was in my office, with a couple of employees, and we all heard a loud band, everyone was like "wtf"? Went into the other room, which smelled like fireworks, looked around, and found the e2d on the floor. It had been on a table. I had used it that morning. I contacted the vendor who informed me I had probably left it on, and or had bad batteries. (I bought the batteries form the same vendor)
The youngest guy, prob about 22 said, "I am sorry about your flashlight and all, but that was awesome!":laughing:
BTW, it could have been bad if it was in a drawer, or next to flamable materials because it left a burn mark on a piece of electronic equipment if was lying next to.
Anyway, I will try to find the damages parts, but may not be able to after all this time. I just want to use the light again.

Thanks for the responses, I hope to learn a lot from this place.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in my office, with a couple of employees, and we all heard a loud band, everyone was like "wtf"? Went into the other room, which smelled like fireworks, looked around, and found the e2d on the floor. It had been on a table. I had used it that morning. I contacted the vendor who informed me I had probably left it on, and or had bad batteries. (I bought the batteries form the same vendor)
The youngest guy, prob about 22 said, "I am sorry about your flashlight and all, but that was awesome!":laughing:
BTW, it could have been bad if it was in a drawer, or next to flamable materials because it left a burn mark on a piece of electronic equipment if was lying next to.
Anyway, I will try to find the damages parts, but may not be able to after all this time. I just want to use the light again.

Thanks for the responses, I hope to learn a lot from this place.

Sounds like (pun intended) the batteries vented. Call or Email SureFire, explain your situation just the way you did here and they'll fix your flashlight for free. That way you can start using your light again.:)

gary kendall

Newly Enlightened
I bought the batts when I purchased the light, on the vendors recommendation. Battery Station, or something similar.
The vendor recommended them, told me they were just as good as Surefire batts, just cheaper. I have almost a whole box of them left. The vendor has a good rep, as far as I know, but was NO help in resolving the issue. He told me there was a bad batch, but that mine was not in the bad lots.
He was going to get back to me, but he didnt, and I let it go.
I would like to use the light again, however.

Thanks for the help.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was in my office, with a couple of employees, and we all heard a loud band, everyone was like "wtf"? Went into the other room, which smelled like fireworks, looked around, and found the e2d on the floor. It had been on a table. I had used it that morning. I contacted the vendor who informed me I had probably left it on, and or had bad batteries. (I bought the batteries from the same vendor.)

Were they the same Surefire cells that came with the light? Were you using a cheap set of Made in China cells?

Cheap cells with poor Q.C. is one reason why multi-celled CR123 lights can explode. Mixing & matching old and new cells is another reason. Mixing & matching cells from different brands is another one.

cityevader

Enlightened
I had used it that morning. I contacted the vendor who informed me I had probably left it on, and or had bad batteries.

So did you leave it on?
If so then battery mismatch suspected.
Is it REALLY a Surefire? I've seen some threads about clones of their products....some being VERY close to being identically made. Then no warranty.

gary kendall

Newly Enlightened
I bought the batts when I purchased the light, on the vendors recommendation. Battery Station, or something similar.
The vendor recommended them, told me they were just as good as Surefire batts, just cheaper. I have almost a whole box of them left. The vendor has a good rep, as far as I know, but was NO help in resolving the issue. He told me there was a bad batch, but that mine was not in the bad lots.
He was going to get back to me, but he didnt, and I let it go.
I would like to use the light again, however.

Thanks for the help.

I have no reason to believe it isnt a real surefire, I purchased it from Calvin from Bright Flashlights. I still have the original package.
I MAY have left it on, dont think so, but it is possible.
I really am looking for advise on repairing it, or hopefully upgrading it. I figured that by now there is better technology avail than the stock hefad, such a LED...

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no reason to believe it isnt a real surefire, I purchased it from Calvin from Bright Flashlights. I still have the original package.
I really am looking for advise on repairing it, or hopefully upgrading it. I figured that by now there is better technology avail than the stock hefad, such a LED...

I have always had good dealings with Calvin, I am pretty sure all the products purchased were legit. I hope you get your light fixed up.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I really am looking for advise on repairing it, or hopefully upgrading it. I figured that by now there is better technology avail than the stock head, such a LED...

Packaging means nothing. You'd be amazed how far some counterfeiters will go to pass off a fake as the real thing. But I see someone else has already posted that that particular vendor is good to deal with.

My Surefire C2 once bumped up against a tube of chapstick when I folded my pants over a chair. Tube hit the tailcap switch. Next morning, the batteries were dead. But no explosion, no venting with flame.

Call Surefire on the phone. (Don't bother e-mailing.) Explain what happened. Then just send them your light. They'll fix it for you.

Also . . . Older Battery Station brand cells are still floating around. Those have a reputation for such poor Q.C. that they have been known to cause problems in multi-cell flashlights. They are Made in China. The label is blue with yellow lettering. Newer Battery Station brand cells are blue with white lettering. Those are quality made in America cells. Safe to use. Were the cells in your light the older version?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff VME bezel + a Malkoff drop-in is an exceptionally good upgrade, but not cheap. Best case is probably around $100. I replaced the incn head on my E2D with a VME + M61. :twothumbs

mrartillery

Enlightened
Wow that sucks about your light, never had any issues with the one set of Battery Stations Ive owned, and they've been in my EDC for years. Also, I wonder if Surefire will cover it seeing that it wasn't using their cells?

gary kendall

Newly Enlightened
Packaging means nothing. You'd be amazed how far some counterfeiters will go to pass off a fake as the real thing. But I see someone else has already posted that that particular vendor is good to deal with.

My Surefire C2 once bumped up against a tube of chapstick when I folded my pants over a chair. Tube hit the tailcap switch. Next morning, the batteries were dead. But no explosion, no venting with flame.

Call Surefire on the phone. (Don't bother e-mailing.) Explain what happened. Then just send them your light. They'll fix it for you.

Also . . . Older Battery Station brand cells are still floating around. Those have a reputation for such poor Q.C. that they have been known to cause problems in multi-cell flashlights. They are Made in China. The label is blue with yellow lettering. Newer Battery Station brand cells are blue with white lettering. Those are quality made in America cells. Safe to use. Were the cells in your light the older version?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Before I get blasted for buying cheap chicom batts, I only bought the cheap ones because the vendor recommended them. I would have never even heard of them until he mentioned how good they were.

Latest posts