"Dual Survival"

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hey guys, just a reminder that episode 1 is showing tonight on the Discovery Channel. I know we've got a lot of folks interested in the "survival" topic in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inarly_Z_70

I've been follower and friend Dave Canterbury for a long time on youtube and he's really a great guy. He's always helpful and quick to answer my correspondences and best of all, he's true outdooring realist. Seeing this on TV is a breath of fresh air after watching a pure entertainer like Bear Grylls.

I saw the show earlier and it was excellent!

Enjoy!

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was pretty good. The shelter that was made in the episode was remarkable IMO. Both had interesting views/ideas but I don't dig the "no shoes" approach.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Les Stroud and Bear Grylls need a show together! Speaking of, what ever happened to Survivorman? I never see it on anymore, sorry Bear but Les is the man. :whistle:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard a rumor (co-worker's being courted by a guy who said he was medic with survivor man crew): current TV production is Les Stroud running groups of youth through outdoor expeditions.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Les Stroud is still active, he's currently filming the "Vanishing Worlds" (a new documentary series) and before that he completed filming a survival challenge with NHL hockey players up in Northern Canada not to mention he's currently writing his second book "Will To Live" :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Bear Grylls despite the controversy surrounding his application of Survival skills and find him most entertaining, but with the soon to be released Man Vs. Wild PS3, Wii & DS gaming titles in addition to his upcoming Gerber signature series knives/multitools & existing consumer products I'm wondering if you can have too much Bear Grylls? :ohgeez:

Patriot

Flashaholic
It was pretty good. The shelter that was made in the episode was remarkable IMO. Both had interesting views/ideas but I don't dig the "no shoes" approach.

...and Dave was fully correct in identifying it as "mother earth, bush hippie crap." "Feeling the Earth" as Cody claims has everything to do with personal pleasure or experience and nothing to do with real survival. For must of us, and urban "readiness" situation is far more likely for the average, everyday person and going shoeless is completely impractical.

Dave said in a message that they set up the scenario of him heading off to check a trap for food. It provided the writers a chance to demonstrate a lesson while allowing Cody to fire back a few shots at Dave, for the sake of entertainment. Dave is a very cool guy and still answers my PM's despite his schedule.

InTheDark

Enlightened
After watching both episodes last night I realize my initial feelings about each person were off. I ended up liking Cody a lot more than I thought, and Dave a lot less.

Yeah, Cody and his shoeless approach is kinda weird, but so far he's survived 2 rather difficult situations without problems, so maybe he's onto something. Not something I would ever try, but if it works for him, more power to him. He even admits that most people shouldn't even try it. He's got a sense of humor, and seems to know what he's talking about. Other than the shoe thing, everything else he demonstrates seems to be pretty well thought out.

From the first two episodes, Dave seems more like a Bear Grylls type character. From what's been shown he's somewhat rash and unnecessarily risksy. The proverbial bull in a china shop. The New Zealand episode where they're rappelling down the canyon is just dumb. Drop down into canyon fed by glacier water without knowing the exit strategy? If it weren't a scripted show they could have easily gotten trapped in there, plus it was probably slower moving through the canyon than just staying on the rim. Building a torch to go run around checking on traps in the middle of the night? Also not very smart. There were a couple of other scenarios where I was thinking "I hope he's just doing it for the show ratings, and doesn't actually advocate this in a survival situation", the same type of thought I had when first watching Man vs. Wild.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only caught about 15 minutes of one episode, but I liked it more than I thought I would. Both men were more reasonable and adaptable than I thought they would be from the commercials, resulting in less drama than I expected.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
"out of Air" episode

the first ten min. of the show was awesome but making a freaking hammock from vines?! Is there a vid, stormdrane blog, book I can look at to learn these knots:eek:0:D

Also Cody reminds of Thorgrim from Conan movie lol.

Edit: search for The Common mans rope hammock on YouTube . Dave had one up already;). Downloading on my iPhone as I type.

Last edited:

mrartillery

Enlightened
After watching a couple episodes now Ive determined that Cody is more of a man than ill ever be! Bare feet in the snow and the jungle? :wtf:

Patriot

Flashaholic
After watching both episodes last night I realize my initial feelings about each person were off. I ended up liking Cody a lot more than I thought, and Dave a lot less.

Yeah, Cody and his shoeless approach is kinda weird, but so far he's survived 2 rather difficult situations without problems, so maybe he's onto something. Not something I would ever try, but if it works for him, more power to him. He even admits that most people shouldn't even try it. He's got a sense of humor, and seems to know what he's talking about. Other than the shoe thing, everything else he demonstrates seems to be pretty well thought out.

From the first two episodes, Dave seems more like a Bear Grylls type character. From what's been shown he's somewhat rash and unnecessarily risksy. The proverbial bull in a china shop. The New Zealand episode where they're rappelling down the canyon is just dumb. Drop down into canyon fed by glacier water without knowing the exit strategy? If it weren't a scripted show they could have easily gotten trapped in there, plus it was probably slower moving through the canyon than just staying on the rim. Building a torch to go run around checking on traps in the middle of the night? Also not very smart. There were a couple of other scenarios where I was thinking "I hope he's just doing it for the show ratings, and doesn't actually advocate this in a survival situation", the same type of thought I had when first watching Man vs. Wild.

+1 to everything that you stated. Cody does sort of grow on you after a while. He has a great sense of humor, he's intelligent, and he knows his stuff. Besides that, hes a desert rat like myself so I was happy that he held his own in the cold.

Dave really knows his stuff too and is even quicker at camp craft, and catching furry stuff but he's gruff at times and less analytical than Cody. The difference in personalities does make for some interesting scenarios. On the practical, realism side of the scale, I rate it somewhere between Bear Grylls and Les Stroud. Stroud really did a great job without a lot of TV hype and drama.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...and Dave was fully correct in identifying it as "mother earth, bush hippie crap." "Feeling the Earth" as Cody claims has everything to do with personal pleasure or experience and nothing to do with real survival. For must of us, and urban "readiness" situation is far more likely for the average, everyday person and going shoeless is completely impractical.
I've gone barefoot a lot of my life including outrunning a guy with shoes through the woods who was going to show me that I couldn't do it, starting snowmachines down to -40 below before going back in to suit up for tours, through rivers, over caltrops and carrying a 52lb. rock down from Thompson pass, but have always hated the snobbery of some of the people who do it.

I do it for the exact reason stated above, that it's enjoyable. It's more comfortable in the summer and I like just doing it, but would never hesitate to wear foot gear in a true survival situation, assuming I had some available.

On the other hand, and strictly from a survival perspective, it's very good to not find yourself a slave to your tools, be they blade, clothes, shoes, gun or companionship...

jellydonut

Enlightened
The shoeless stuff is a Crossfit thing. They argue human beings always went barefoot before and the only reason we feel we need them nowadays is because our feet are used to it.

To that end they came up with these weird looking things for outdoors exercise.:shrug:

red02

Enlightened
The shoeless stuff is a Crossfit thing. They argue human beings always went barefoot before and the only reason we feel we need them nowadays is because our feet are used to it.

To that end they came up with these weird looking things for outdoors exercise.:shrug:

That argument doesn't take into account that there is no accurate historical record of people without shoes. It just might be possible that before historical record people wore some kind of bio-degradable shoes made out of strong leaves or something.

Besides there is a difference between chasing stuff, farming and gathering in sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East and going through a forest barefoot.

I saw that clip and I completely agree, sounds like unprovable bush-pseudo logic. I am probably going to catch the next ep though.

gorn

Enlightened

My son bought some of those. He does alot of running. They are catching on in the Ranger and special ops community. After his first run in them, about 5 miles he said he like them. But they cause you to use your muscles differently then with normal running shoes. His legs were big time sore for a week.

I started watching this show thinking "Oh, God. A wanabe hippy tree hugger. This is going to drive me nuts." But after listening to Cody I find that I like him and his way of thinking alot more than I like Dave. They both are entertaining and the show is worth watching.

Latest posts