Temporarily Extendable Bezels

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that for most of my flashlights while using them outside at night in the yard that if I could I'd usually like to reduce the spill angle.

Not permanently, but just as needed. I've just started thinking about this however and haven't come up with any good solutions.

I was experimenting with various lenses outside tonight and I used a the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper. I would put the lens at one end and slide a led flashlight with the head off in the other end until the emitter was in focus.

I tried this with some of my smaller flashlights with the head on and without trying out any other lenses. I used the tube just to extend a bit longer than the standard bezel so it cut down the spill angle and illuminated me less, was less likely to inadvertently shine in a neighbor's window, etc.

This made me think of eyepiece cups for camera viewfinders, retractable rubber eye cups on telescope lenses, etc.

I wondered if anyone has come up with an easy DIY version of this for a flashlight bezel? There must be at least one other person who has wanted to reduce the spill angle on their flashlight from time to time but didn't want a permanent solution.

I don't know how it would work but something like a piece of bicycle inner tubing of the right diameter cut into a small section and rolled over the head out of the way.

When you want a longer bezel you just roll it out. Now, I don't really think an inner tube would be stiff enough to do this.

Maybe the answer is to just have a light weight section of plastic tube held in place by friction and/or o-ring that you just slide out as needed.

Has anyone ever done or seen anything like this?

Thanks.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Nanomiser sells them here in his sales thread.

But from what it sounds like you are talking about, you are describing a bezel that is retractable. When fully extended it blocks the stray spill that seem to shoot out of the tip of the lens. and when pulled back it allows this light to pass un-interfered.

Personally I would just stick to one or the other.

Also the thought of having cardboard anywhere on the outside of my Maglite makes me cringe, sorry.

Please keep us updates with pics of your DIY bezel.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nanomiser sells them here in his sales thread.

But from what it sounds like you are talking about, you are describing a bezel that is retractable. When fully extended it blocks the stray spill that seem to shoot out of the tip of the lens. and when pulled back it allows this light to pass un-interfered.

Personally I would just stick to one or the other.

Also the thought of having cardboard anywhere on the outside of my Maglite makes me cringe, sorry.

Please keep us updates with pics of your DIY bezel.

Yeah, cardboard wouldn't be the final product and I'm not thinking of Maglites but the thread you linked to is the general idea for a permanent version which is simply a longer bezel.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan,

I know what you're asking about. Long ago in a galaxy far far away, when cameras used FILM.... you could buy a flexible rubber lens hood and fold it to prevent lens flare when shooting backlight photos.

I recall that most of the filter makers had such items but most were for 50mm or wider optics so were at least 49 mm dia so they might fit a M@G ....

I also recall that several telephoto lens makers had metal sliding hoods on 70-210 type zooms, Vivitar had one w/ the hood integrated into the front lens tube. Others had a sort of bayonet mounted hood / shade. Might be worth exploring vintage accessories on Ebay or check Craiglist in your area.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan,

I know what you're asking about. Long ago in a galaxy far far away, when cameras used FILM.... you could buy a flexible rubber lens hood and fold it to prevent lens flare when shooting backlight photos.

I recall that most of the filter makers had such items but most were for 50mm or wider optics so were at least 49 mm dia so they might fit a M@G ....

I also recall that several telephoto lens makers had metal sliding hoods on 70-210 type zooms, Vivitar had one w/ the hood integrated into the front lens tube. Others had a sort of bayonet mounted hood / shade. Might be worth exploring vintage accessories on Ebay or check Craiglist in your area.

Yeah, I probably have some of that among my camera "stuff" somewhere however I don't own or want to own any Maglites.

I do have something like that on an eyepiece for a telescope as well.

It was just a thought but I don't really know of a good way to go about this. I would have thought someone else would have come up with something similar.

Actually, if I wanted to take it on and off it would just be a lens shade but as you say a common threaded size was 49mm.

Edit: I just checked some of my photo gear. None of it fits anything I own. Anyway, for the most part, the bezel has to be quite a bit longer than most lens shades to do much.

I did run into a picture of some flashlights where a guy had the same idea and used some PVC pipe sections and just taped it on!

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan,

Take your light and go to the local hardware store and have a look in the plumbing aisle. You should find lots of metal and plastic tubing that would work on your light. The best would be ABS plastic tube, very thin but tough and easily painted. It wouldn't scratch the head/bezel and could slide back when not needed.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I might just do that. I'm especially interested in the PVC. It's easy to work with in case I decided to made adjustments...either molding it or splitting it and reforming it if necessary.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan,

PVC is OK but its either thick and clunky or it lacks strength when its thin walled, thats why I suggest using ABS if you can find it. You might also consider nylon or PE parts, again tough and can be made thin, also self-lubricating in a manner....