Thrunite 3 level Drop-in question?

Dan FO

Enlightened
Does anyone have one yet and what are your impressions as far as build and performance? I am planing on using it in a Surefire 6P & G2. Any issues with fit?

Kindle

Enlightened
I have one of the 1.5a single mode models & have been very happy with it.

Build quality is good & definitely puts out more light than my R2 drop-ins. Good general purpose beam.

Fits fine in a 6p, but you'll probably want to shim it with some copper/aluminum to help transfer heat to the body.

Also no problems putting it in a G2 but I just dropped it in & turned it on to make sure contact was good. I'd be a bit leery about using it in the nitrolon body for any length of time (a Malkoff is what stays in there normally).

Dan FO

Enlightened
Did you have to remove a spring or did you use both springs? Thanks for the info so far. I am wondering if the memory will be a little tricky without a clickie for the memory feature on the 3 level.

Tajji

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3 mode for my C3 and do not have to remove the spring. It's not tricky but I prefer a clicky.

DeadButAlive

Newly Enlightened
I've got one of the 2.7-4.2V 3-mode 1.5A models in a solarforce L2 host. It seems brighter than any of my other high-output lights (T20C2 MKII, M20 R5, JET-III M) on high, but its not a thrower - the others definitely out-throw it. Instead it has a wide hotspot with a smooth transition to a bright spill, very good for area illumination - its the one I keep in the cabinet for when the lights go out because of the sheer amount of light it emits. Also the low mode is lower than any of the others mentioned above as well. I measured the tailcap current a while back, I can't recall exactly what the numbers were for medium and low, but high mode was ~1.6A on a fresh-charged 18650 . I've been really pleased with it. It fit the L2 fine with the spring that came with it, I tried it in a Romisen RC-M4 and the supplied spring was a bit to narrow - I had to use the Romisen spring to get proper fit. I don't have any Surefire hosts to try it in. Hope this helps!

a1penguin

Newly Enlightened
Ditto what DeadButAlive says. I have the XP-G in a Solarforce L2M. It's an impressive light. While everyone always wants the best thrower, the XP-G has a really nice usable beam. I now have a large enough collection of lights and leds that I am getting a good idea of what I like for my bike commute home in the dark. I haven't tried the XP-G, but I'm sure it will provide sufficient throw and good enough spill to be a winner.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Is there a huge difference between the 1.0A and 1.5A models as far as visible performance? :thinking: The 1.0A version is pretty much available everywhere, but it's harder to find the 1.5A model.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a huge difference between the 1.0A and 1.5A models as far as visible performance? :thinking: The 1.0A version is pretty much available everywhere, but it's harder to find the 1.5A model.

I thought I was buying the 1A version but it measures 1.7A at the tailcap so I guess I have the 1.5A version. It may be that they are all the 1.5A version now. I bought mine from GoGear.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto what DeadButAlive says. I have the XP-G in a Solarforce L2M. It's an impressive light. While everyone always wants the best thrower, the XP-G has a really nice usable beam. I now have a large enough collection of lights and leds that I am getting a good idea of what I like for my bike commute home in the dark. I haven't tried the XP-G, but I'm sure it will provide sufficient throw and good enough spill to be a winner.
I've read somewhere on these forums that the ThruNite XP-G drop-in is one of the most floody D26 XP-G drop-ins you can get while the Dereelight XP-G has the best throw.

I bought the 1.5A 3-mode multi-cell version of this drop-in but I pulled the pill and put it into a different light so I don't have any information about using it in a 6P. I can tell you that my light with the ThruNite pill gets warm after about 15 minutes and that the light is completely warm from top to bottom after 30. This light (modified SureFire 9N) has two to three times the aluminum mass compared to a 6P so I can't imagine how hot a 6P would get with this drop-in on high nor how fast it will get there.

I would not use this drop-in in a G2 unless you are using it for 3 minutes, or less, at a time on high. The G2 will not dissipate the heat created by the drop-in for extended use even if you use an aluminum bezel. I used to run a Dereelight 1SD drop-in in my G3 using a single CR123a and a spacer. I had changed the bezel to the aluminum bezel from a Solarforce L2. That module put out 1A to the XR-E emitter and I thought it was fine until I moved it into the L2. Wow, after 10 minutes that light got warm and after 20 I had to hold onto the light to use liquid cooling to keep the temps reasonable. In the G3 I was totally oblivious to the fact that the LED module was probably cooking after 5 minutes because the heat had nowhere to go.

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
I can't imagine that I would run it on high for more than 10 minutes at a time so that does not seem like a problem for my application. This is great info, thanks guys. :)

Kindle

Enlightened
Did you have to remove a spring or did you use both springs?

I had to remove the outer spring to fit in the 6p.

It isn't a problem to do so as the outer spring slides right off (it is not soldered or otherwise physically attached to the pill).