Aspheric beamshots. Tiablo vs DBS

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard the common info on CPF about the DBS being the better Aspheric. Just not so. The Tiablo has a better lens than the DBS Aspheric. Also compare the DBS to what the Tiablo lens is capable of with an equal LED. I actually get 1.400-1.405A at the tailcap with my Cheap 1.4A $1.60 drivers.

Here are Tiablo A9-Q5, DBS 1.2A-R2 (1SM), and Tiablo 1.4A-R2 mod.

A9ADBSA9aR214.jpg

The DBS is in between the two Tiablo's. (Not visble)

A9ADBSA9AR2.jpg

Here are some shots showing what the Tiablo can do if it had a newer R2 and was driven as hard as the DBS.

Q5 left, R2 right.

A9AA914R2-1.jpg

A9AA9R214-1.jpg

Last edited:

heng84

Newly Enlightened
bro you mod yourself the tiablo?? and where are you from.. very nice.. i also have tiablo a9 with colli but i screwed it up 2days back.. the dome of the emitter drop off and i clean the remain silicon but accidentally brushed the wire that connect to that q5 led and its dead.. can u teach me how to disassemble the emitter from the head module? sorry im still quite new and im know its so stupid to clean it damn.. :( and excuse me for my poor english thanks

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED Emitter is epoxied to the module. You'll need a small screw-driver and a hammer to remove it. Then you'll have to buy a new LED and re-epoxy, and solder the wires back on. It's not easy. Changing the Driver is major surgery.

Last edited:

troller_cpf

Enlightened
bro you mod yourself the tiablo?? and where are you from.. very nice.. i also have tiablo a9 with colli but i screwed it up 2days back.. the dome of the emitter drop off and i clean the remain silicon but accidentally brushed the wire that connect to that q5 led and its dead.. can u teach me how to disassemble the emitter from the head module? sorry im still quite new and im know its so stupid to clean it damn.. :( and excuse me for my poor english thanks

The SAME EXACT thing happended to me... lol

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
I've heard the common info on CPF about the DBS being the better Aspheric. Just not so. The Tiablo has a better lens than the DBS Aspheric. Also compare the DBS to what the Tiablo lens is capable of with an equal LED. I actually get 1.400-1.405A at the tailcap with my Cheap 1.4A $1.60 drivers.

Here are Tiablo A9-Q5, DBS 1.2A-R2 (1SM), and Tiablo 1.4A-R2 mod.

A9ADBSA9aR214.jpg

The DBS is in between the two Tiablo's. (Not visble)

A9ADBSA9AR2.jpg

Here are some shots showing what the Tiablo can do if it had a newer R2 and was driven as hard as the DBS.

Q5 left, R2 right.

A9AA914R2-1.jpg

A9AA9R214-1.jpg
:twothumbs. How far does your R2-equipped A9 throw, Kngps? I have an A9 w/ collimator coming from Canada. They are quite a luxury here in the Philippines, yessuh! Your lollipop head Lumapower looks great too!

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody has a different idea as to what "Throw" is. But I can shine my light on "Dark Gray" colored houses 650 meters and see them get brighter. I haven't tried anything farthur away than that.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiablo lens is about 1mm smaller diameter. But the focal length is very different. I'm sure you could never focus it in a Dereelight head.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Q5 left, R2 right.

A9AA914R2-1.jpg

Wow. You must get a lux reading of that R2. It looks like it at least doubles the Q5 output. If my memory serves me correctly, the Q5 outputs 40k+ lux. I would love to get a A9 sized light with 70-80k lux. How long and hard is this mod to do on the A9?

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
My meter shows 59,600 lux with Q5, and 95,000 with R2 1.4A. The same light does 39,000 lux with reflector. The Q5 does 24,925 lux. It puts it over the Jet-Beam RRT-1 for throw (34,900). A lot lighter and smaller, easier to carry in your pocket than an RRT-1 too.
It is difficult to do. The Tiablo's have totally different driver sizes than other lights. I had to put it on my lathe, and bore everything out of the inside, then install a driver on a standard brass pil, then mount that into the cavity of the old module space. I put a spring onto the driver to contact the positive terminal, then potted the whole thing with silicone. I just bought another Tiablo A9, and I'm gonna build one with a copper heat-sink and drive it a little harder still. I want 100K Dang-it! Probably going to sell this one.

red02

Enlightened
My meter shows 59,600 lux with Q5, and 95,000 with R2 1.4A. The same light does 39,000 lux with reflector. The Q5 does 24,925 lux. It puts it over the Jet-Beam RRT-1 for throw (34,900). A lot lighter and smaller, easier to carry in your pocket than an RRT-1 too.
It is difficult to do. The Tiablo's have totally different driver sizes than other lights. I had to put it on my lathe, and bore everything out of the inside, then install a driver on a standard brass pil, then mount that into the cavity of the old module space. I put a spring onto the driver to contact the positive terminal, then potted the whole thing with silicone. I just bought another Tiablo A9, and I'm gonna build one with a copper heat-sink and drive it a little harder still. I want 100K Dang-it! Probably going to sell this one.

Its likely that the light itself is 100k lux in reality and its the meter thats at fault. The distance could be measured better and the lens of the meter might be just a little dirty. The specific color of the LED might not be what the meter was calibrated for. It might just be that the error % of the meter is at fault.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Its likely that the light itself is 100k lux in reality and its the meter thats at fault. The distance could be measured better and the lens of the meter might be just a little dirty. The specific color of the LED might not be what the meter was calibrated for. It might just be that the error % of the meter is at fault.

I agree. If that R2 isn't doing 100k+ based on the 60k with the Q5 I need to have my eyes checked. I can't see how the R2's wouldn't have twice the lux based on the picture. Great job.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest error source I have is tint changes. But it seems to be pretty close, from what I've seen compared to other good meters. I have measured the distance very well, and use 10 Meters for my testing, so a few inches isn't going to affect the reading much. I am running the same power thru my R2 as the DEFT-FTP (1.4A) but he has much better heat-sinking on the DEFT. That's why I'm gonna build another with more heat-sinking. I have some really good R2's used in DEFT coming from Michael actually. I somehow ended up with some rare version of R2's that he wants for testing, So we traded for some of his best tint, bin etc, for mine. Can't wait.

Last edited:

lightforce2

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Been a while since I've been on the forum & only just found this thread. I'm a real fan of both the Tiablo A9 and the Dereelight DBS. I own quite a few of each and most have been modded in some specific way.

I have an A9 aspheric with an R2 WH on a 17mm base being driven around 1.6 - 1.9 amps (direct drive). I dont have a light meter but I'd be very confident that it is easily exceding 100k lux on a fully charged 18650, plus I've had no thermal problems to date. Using an emmitter with a larger base helps with heat transfer.

Like Tatjanamagic, I'm also interested in the A9 R5 special edition, be great to overdrive one of these!!! Maybe I'll just put an R5 into a spare module I have

cheers