Preon 1 Ti - anyone else find this problem?

shark_za

Enlightened
I have the two tone black/titanium Preon 2 and got myself a titanium single cell body for it.

When used in the all titanium Preon 1 configuration I am having a problem with some cells.

It seems the threads or the clicky itself is making contact with the negative contact of the cell and in effect bypassing the clicky switch.
I first noticed this when trying the Uniross Performance 1000mAh cells. I went back to Duraloops and found it was not as bad but a shake of the flashlight would see it make intermittent contact on the rear threads or clicky.

I put in Uniross Hybrio who's wrapper folds around the negative a little and this is 100%, no contact but I can see where the wrapper is touching after a vigorous shake.

I tried AAA GP Reycko and its the worst of the lot. It turns the torch into a twisty. Permanently on.

Does anyone else have this problem with the Ti Preon 1 clicky?
Would the aluminium versions do the same or are the threads maybe anodised and stop this?

With the black body mine is 100% even though I accept the greenest of all my LED's in the tint department.
Problems withstanding its my current EDC and I dont see that changing soon.

A 1mm longer body will eliminate this entirely, maybe I got a short tube?

Summary
Uniross Hybrio = 100%
Duracell Active Charge = if shaken really hard I can see flashes when off
Uniross 1000mAh = almost any shaking turns it on
GP Recyko = permanently on

spoonrobot

Enlightened
It's the threads in the body that are causing the issue.

I noticed the same issue when using AAA Eneloops in my aluminum Preon 2. I just wrapped some thing tape around the base of the cell and that appeared to solve the problem.

What's really funny is that you can remove the tailcap, shake the light and it will start flashing intermittently.

shark_za

Enlightened
I am running test cycles of the Hybrio AAA's vs the Duracell and Recyko to make myself feel good about using them.

I recall them being very similar and will probably end up using them exclusively in this light as their wrapper extends a little of the base of the cell.
The rest of the AAA cells have bare negative bases.

A Preon 1 titanium with a clicky is like man jewellery, its so styling!