M*glite XL100 mods available?

treadmarks

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one of these recently and now I want it quite a bit brighter.

I am not a big fan of the fancy tail cap and all of the modes and I prefer to use 123 batts.

Any ideas anyone?:confused:

tolkaze

Enlightened
Soooo, you want a different battery configuration, brighter, no modes and a different tailcap...

Buy a different light? sounds like the Maglite is totally the wrong light for you

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Soooo, you want a different battery configuration, brighter, no modes and a different tailcap...

Buy a different light? sounds like the Maglite is totally the wrong light for you

:crackup::poke:

I just want to use a LiIon cell in place of the AAA's.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want it quite a bit brighter.

I am not a big fan of the fancy tail cap and all of the modes and I prefer to use 123 batts.

and why you still want maglite???? you don't like anything about it.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought one of these recently and now I want it quite a bit brighter.

I bought one, too, with the intention of upgrading the emitter module but keeping that "fancy tail cap and all of the modes". They use the same LED module, as far as I can tell, in the 3D Rebel MagLED so I figured it would be relatively easy to do. NOT! The module is retained by a pair of retaining rings that are either screwed on or pressed in and removing the module will be difficult. I ended up giving up on this light and giving it to my son. Maybe, down the road, if he destroys it I'll tear it apart to see how it works but until that day I'm not about to do anything to it.

WRT to the "fancy tail cap and all of the modes" that's the main draw of this light so eliminating this will give you a basic flashlight that you can get for a fraction of the cost of an XL100 so why buy the XL100 to begin with? The 3AAA battery holder limits what you can do with this flashlight in terms of running different battery types because that is no ordinary 3AAA battery holder. If you look at the tail cap electrical contacts you'll see two small contacts and a large ring surrounding this. The innermost contact is your positive, the next one is the negative from the batteries. The ring is the negative output to the LED that is carried through the battery carrier to the metal retaining ring for the LED module. In other words, it would be difficult to run Li-Ion batteries in this light unless you run a single 10440 and two spacers in the battery holder.

treadmarks

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking for a dropin to make it much brighter.

I just installed a Nailbender SST-90 in my 6P and was hoping someone out there knew of a dropin that might fit in the XL100 host.

After using it a few weeks, I now understand that it's only good features are in the tailcap.:whistle:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is that the module is not removable so you will not be able to upgrade it unless you can find a way to remove it. Please let us know how to remove it if you figure it out.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking for a dropin to make it much brighter.

I just installed a Nailbender SST-90 in my 6P and was hoping someone out there knew of a dropin that might fit in the XL100 host.

After using it a few weeks, I now understand that it's only good features are in the tailcap.:whistle:

Assuming you could put a drop-in into this one was sort of a leap of faith?

treadmarks

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the sacrifice PCC.

I guess I need to stay within my surefire/maglite compatibility and this mag isn't compatible with anything else I have.

I really need to concentrate on increasing the output on my pistol lights as they actually suck more than the xl100.:sigh:

Thanks