Any P60 current controlled drivers/dropins?

red02

Enlightened
I've been looking around for an constant current regulated XRE R2 3-stage low voltage dropin. I don't mind the efficiency of PWM so much, or the flicker, but my dereelight dropin screams on the lower levels. I am open to custom jobs, but I haven't seen anything around. What kind of options do I have? I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
Re: Any P60 multi-stage current controlled dropins?

Shameless bumb... c'mon guys, I really need some help on this. I tried asking in the P60 thread but got nothing. I'm open to any drivers only as well.

red02

Enlightened
Thanks, looks promising though they only have 3v + in their D26 sized dropins which they say are surefire compatible, is this their P60?

Any other ideas in case this falls through?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are not low voltage (2.8 - 5.5v), and are currently out of stock, but the L-Mini II driver that Shiningbeam sells are current controlled 3-mode perfectly regulated drivers.

They also included reverse polarity and battery run down protection.

red02

Enlightened
Thanks for the help BlackRose, I appreciate it. The first one looks perfect except for the voltage is high (2.8 - 6v) for 2xAAs.

Great suggestion on the second one, seems perfect for a single AA (0.9-1.7v). Nailbender said I needed a 17mm board. If he can do something with the 14mm it would probably make a great AA XPG maybe he can do something with that 14mm one...

Sorry if I sound a little picky, but the driver I'm looking for is about 0.9 - 4.2 volts. Any options are welcome.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help BlackRose, I appreciate it. The first one looks perfect except for the voltage is high (2.8 - 6v) for 2xAAs.

Great suggestion on the second one, seems perfect for a single AA (0.9-1.7v). Nailbender said I needed a 17mm board. If he can do something with the 14mm it would probably make a great AA XPG maybe he can do something with that 14mm one...

Sorry if I sound a little picky, but the driver I'm looking for is about 0.9 - 4.2 volts. Any options are welcome.

I'm not sure what you mean, but the L Mini II driver will not be suitable for a single AA, as this driver trips a low voltage. I tried this in a P60 module and it works excellently with a AW 18650 2600mAH cell. However, it's not so good when using it in a Surefire 3P and AW 16340 cell. It has a short run time of 22 minutes and shuts off completely. I did not anticipate this and reverted back to the latest 3SD R2 module from Dereelight. You have to email Alan for the R2 module, but they are available.

Dereelight constantly changes it's 3SD driver. I have 12 of these and they have different characteristics. It would be practically impossible to work out which driver you have in your Dereelight 3SD module.

I am unsure as what you want this driver for. Please could you clarify in order for me to help?

red02

Enlightened
My current set up is the Dereelight 3-mode Javelin pill in a DBS extended for 2xAAs. The pill's whine can be heard at arms length on low, thats why I'm looking for a current regulated model.

So the specs should look like this:
17mm driver -- I was told that this is needed to make a P60 module.
current controlled -- better efficiency and no whine.
3 or more levels
regulated on 0.9-4.2 volts -- such that it works on 2-3 AAs
1 - 1.4 amps on high
XRE R2 emitter, if its a dropin.

I wasn't able to find the L-Mini II driver on shinningbeam but found:
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-133/**NEW**-3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit/Detail
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-176/**NEW**-3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit/Detail

Which is what I posted about.

red02

Enlightened
Does Cutter LED in Australia have anything like this?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Ever consider going with 2 X 14500 Li Ion batteries? Then you don't need a low voltage D26.

2 X L91 Lithium primaries might be OK with that L-Mini II driver or you could add the Javelin extender and go with 3.

You might also check back with your dealer. I have the same Javelin setup as you do and mine doesn't whine.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
I think you would be better off ordering another Javelin driver as Dereelight make revisions, i suspect you may have a slightly older one that has the annoying whine. It's best to email him, just to make sure. The other two drivers you posted links to would not be suitable.

red02

Enlightened
Ever consider going with 2 X 14500 Li Ion batteries? Then you don't need a low voltage D26.

2 X L91 Lithium primaries might be OK with that L-Mini II driver or you could add the Javelin extender and go with 3.

You might also check back with your dealer. I have the same Javelin setup as you do and mine doesn't whine.

I'll check with Dereelight, but the pill I got was only a few weeks ago. the LE was delivered from HK and I'm reluctant to do business with a far away place again as the turn around time for a return would be months.

I'll go with NiZn before I start spending 2 dollars a cell, but I doubt it would give me the same amount of light as a proper driver current controlled low voltage driver. Li-Ion are out of the question, they require too much care and cost way too much. Besides if I went Li-ion it would be 18650s in a more powerful light than a DBS.

I think you would be better off ordering another Javelin driver as Dereelight make revisions, i suspect you may have a slightly older one that has the annoying whine. It's best to email him, just to make sure. The other two drivers you posted links to would not be suitable.

Thats disappointing. The problem is that what Alan from dereelight might consider normal, I might consider too loud and I don't want to spend that much time or patience to deal with sending a 28 dollar lamp between 2 continents. It's not a bad suggestion, I'm just not willing to allocate the time.

From what I understand, your telling me I have no alternative...

Last edited:

justlux

Newly Enlightened
[/QUOTE]Thats disappointing. The problem is that what Alan from dereelight might consider normal, I might consider too loud and I don't want to spend that much time or patience to deal with sending a 28 dollar lamp between 2 continents. It's not a bad suggestion, I'm just not willing to allocate the time.

From what I understand, your telling me I have no alternative...[/QUOTE]

You could always try Flashcrazy, he's based in the USA. I agree with Andy and cannot think of another driver that would be best suited for your needs.

Jessica

red02

Enlightened
You could always try Flashcrazy, he's based in the USA. I agree with Andy and cannot think of another driver that would be best suited for your needs.

Jessica

Thanks, thats really the first place I've tried. Jay has single-mode XREs which makes my question academic. I don't want to burden him with sorting multi-mode pills that he's probably never going to sell...