• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: ~~~ Custom modded Surefire L4 Ostar 6-die 15+ W ~~~

rush

Newly Enlightened
For Sale

Surefire L4 HA, modded with OSRAM Ostar 6-die, LE UW E3B aka "Flaming Fields"
#4 (The very last one!)

For sale is a Surefire L4 in pristine condition that i have modded with an OSRAM Ostar LED. The build is based on a "Blue Shark" converter running at nearly 1 amp output and a "Remora" UI board that turns it into a 3 stage light with output levels of 10%, 25% and 100% of the Shark maximum output. This means an output power of well over 15 W on high or somewhere close to 1000 lumen (emitter) of light.
The Ostar flux bin is the second highest "QY" and the tint is somewhat "warm" tending to yellow. However on the higher levels the color shifts more to a neutral white that is quite pleasant. The tint is actually good for the outdoors i found.

kl4ostar3.jpg

The clip can perfectly fit a small tritium vial. I am potting it with Norland adhesive and due to the geometry of the clip it is pretty safe against damage.
You can choose from green or yellow color. Of course if for any reason you prefer no tritium it will come without.

The images below show the actual light for sale as the buyer will receive it.
Together with the light you will also get a little card with the details of this build and the individual electrical specs, i. e. the currents at the different drive levels and the approximate electrical power at the LED.

kl4ostar4pill800.jpg

Batteries:
The converter works in boost mode and needs a minimum of about 2.7 V. A single rechargeable Li-Ion (3.6 V) will light up the LED, however only in Low and Medium modes. To get the High mode 2 or more cells are necessary, the more the better.
You can use any thread compatible body (Surefire, VG) with the head to use it with 1 to 3 cells.
Due to the very high current through the batteries using 2 cells, i don't recommend regular Li-Ion rechargeables (3.6 V) if you intend to use the High mode for more than a few seconds. They are not rated for currents > 2C (2x rated capacity) and a rapid discharge will shorten their life time.
The LiMn type cells (i. e. AW IMR 16340, 3.7 V) is what i recommend, however the advantage of high current tolerance comes at the expense of a slightly lower capacity. LiMn cells are considered a "safe" chemistry (no protection circuit), however please do not use any unprotected regular Li-Ion rechargeables!

Run times with 2x IMR 16340:
Low: approx. 90 mins
Medium: approx. 45 mins
High: Only for short intervals (overheating)

Beam quality and output:
There are slight artifacts due to the multi-die emitter, but they are only visible when moving the beam across a white wall. The beam is very floody but retains a usable hotspot with a decent throw.

Below is a comparison of the light levels taken in manual mode with fixed exposure and aperture to show the actual difference in brightness of the levels. The low mode is slightly lower than a stock L4 with a Lux V emitter and brighter than my Lunasol 20 on high.

kl4ostar4beamshots.jpg

A warning:
As stated, on high the light will overheat quite quickly depending on the ambient temperature. Don't put the light down on high and forget about it. The light will shut off when the converter gets too hot and should come out undamaged but you shouldn't try it.
This is not a toy but a powerful lighting tool, but you knew that already didn't you :devil:

Additional information about this mod can be found in this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214412
This is the fourth build of a modded KL4 that i have made and it will be the very last one. The larger gap in the head that is shown in the linked thread is not present anymore with this build as you can tell from the picture of the actual light above.
By default i will not seal the threads on the head (the way Surefire does), however it will come with a rubber O-Ring installed that should at least water proof the head.

A lot of time has gone into this build to make everything fit perfectly into the host with no gaps. I have tested the light on the different levels and it has been running for several hours. I am confident that this light will keep working through any normal duty.

Included:
L4 Ostar, ready for action
ID card with the individual specs of this light

kl4ostar4package800.jpg

Price: SUNDAY SPECIAL US$ 399 US$ 440 plus PP fees and shipping
(insured shipping unless the buyer requests otherwise in which case i cannot take responsibility for lost mail)

First one to post "I'll take it!" will get this beauty. Please contact me for accurate shipping cost prior to sending your payment.

Last edited:

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: ~~~ Custom modded Surefire L4 Ostar 6-die 15+ W ~~~

Noooooooooooooooooooo, this is too gorgeous!
Someone save me from this!!!!

ptolemy

Enlightened

very nice

:drool:

rush

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the comments guys, its great to see you like the light :)

Lisa, you are not safe yet :D
but i have replied to the PMs i got so far!

rush

Newly Enlightened

It is time for a bump!
The KL4 Ostar is still available. Don't miss out on this last one of a really small batch!

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Wow, most impressive - the engineering & attention to detail that went into this build really 'raises the bar' IMHO. :thumbsup:

Good luck with the sale,

rush

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Kestrel and Dcaprilia, i am always aiming for perfection and hearing that this shows in my work is a reward of its own :)

Now don't miss the chance of owning this light! ;)

rush

Newly Enlightened

Sending the KL4 Ostar back to the top with a nice price drop!

This is to nice of a light not be used! :)

rush

Newly Enlightened

Lets spice this sale up a little bit with a Sunday special, the price will go up again on Monday!

I'd really be happy to see this light go to one of you guys that will put it to good use instead of it sitting in my drawer. I know it isn't cheap, but after all with the cost of parts, let alone the time that went into it, it is certainly something special. Remember, this will be the very last of its kind available from me :)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: !SUNDAY SPECIAL! FS: ~~~ Custom modded Surefire L4 Ostar 6-die 15+ W ~~~

WOW - I am surprised that this has been both available for this long and that it is still available. AND - that I am just seeing this and reading the thread.

I'll take it - this is a nice looking build.

PM incoming.

rush

Newly Enlightened
The KL4 Ostar is sold to ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond!
Thank you very much, the light will be on the way soon!

And thanks everybody for your comments, i appreciate it very much :)