Finally, my EDC "loaner" lived up to its name at work

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other week I finally got justification for carrying around my G2. What I had in mind was that this was a light that I could loan to co-workers if they needed it, and I wouldn't have to worry about it being dropped or dinged, due to the tough Nitrolon case and the plastic lens. Also, no need for much explanation on how to operate the light (the light is outfitted with a Solarforce R2 single-mode module, and 17670 AW li-ion).

I have a few other "beater" lights at my desk, but all the times I or someone else has needed a light at work, I haven't been able to actually go back to the desk to get them. So I would end up having to hand them whatever I had in my pockets. In the past I handed my L1D-ce to others to use, but the multi-mode functions and me worrying about the glass lens made it a less than ideal light in those cases.

So, when I was standing around talking with some other co-workers, a guy I know came in asked if we had a flashlight around that he could use. Without a word I pulled the G2 from my pocket and handed it over, to his amusement (and got the "boyscout" comment too!). He needed a light to look up inside a large (20 ft tall) cylindrical tank to show something to another guy, who I think was a manufacturing type.

I showed him how to turn it on by tightening down the tailcap. He said he'd come back if he needed something brighter(!). I thought to myself "you'll be hard pressed to find a brighter flashlight than that in this building", but in his defense, this took place in a big room that was brightly lit with overhead fluorescent fixtures, and as you know, a 200-ish lumen flashlight doesn't impress in that kind of setting.

He left and I started to worry a bit about giving a lithium ion powered light to an "innocent", but I reminded myself to calm down because the cell was an AW protected type, and the odds of a kaboom were low.

Anyway he came back about 10 or 15 minutes later and returned the light, saying how it did a pretty good job. This guy is real low-key, so for him to say anything at all about it, he must have been pretty impressed! I'm glad my G2 finally saw some action.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Way to stay prepared. It's definitely nice to get some justification. You've certainly earned your "Illumination" badge. :poke:

Geoff

sappyg

Enlightened
i enjoyed that story stress test. :twothumbs

after finally reaching our destination on an early morning hunting trip my partner proclaimed that he had left his flash light at home. so...... i handed him my G2 with an LF SR-9 LA driven by a pair of AW RCR123's with a 6P bezel and went to my back up D10. i knew he likes things simple so i knew the D10 was too complicated.

everything went fine until we split up. i could see the G2 a mile away and i was stuck with my lowely D10. every once in a while i could see it lit up and i knew he was ok.... what was he shining into the trees i wondered?

as the rain kept coming down the best i could do was was a nice comphy patch of briars on a small clearing. still the G2 would pop on from time to time... here and there.... mostly up into the trees... wtf?

dawn and day light finally came... if you can call it that... and i was soaked to the bone.... tired. basically i just wanted to leave and find a nice warm bed. it was easy finding john. i had marked the trees he had famously lit for me that morning. when i found him he was nice and dry sitting under the lean too he had built in the pre dawn hours. that's what all the shining in the trees was about. he was gigling like a little girl and i was soaking wet and cold. of course, some of john's prowise is due to his air force survival training as a retired officer and pilot but i like to think that little G2 helped him in some small way. truth be told he could have managed nicely with that silly pen light he carries quite nicely.

oh.. by the way... he handed my G2 back to me deader than hell. back at the truck he finally noticed that he had his pen light with him the whole time. what a day....... what a guy :grin2:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was beginning to think that light would NEVER get used. I was starting to wonder why I bothered at all to lug it around in my pocket everyday. But in that first opportunity it proved to be exactly what I was looking for: simple, no worries, bright reliable light that can be knocked around without concern for dings and scratches.

And even if a coworker SOMEHOW managed to trash it, I can call up SureFire and say "hey my coworker borrowed my G2 and loved it, but managed to destroy it also, so can you send me a replacement head/body/switch?)

PS: I imagine you'd have to try HARD to trash a G2, but I'm sure there are people out there who could do it!!

paulr

Flashaholic
Nothing beats a good, no-nonsense, single-level bright light. I use a Fenix P1CE for that purpose.

sjmack

Newly Enlightened
Nothing beats a good, no-nonsense, single-level bright light. I use a Fenix P1CE for that purpose.

Yeah, as nice as it is to have multiple levels of light, I do like the simplicity of having one level. That's what I have my 6P for :D